Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !<br>
I've been taking stock lately and discovered that dd doesn't eat much in the way of solids unless its a cracker, bagel or some other highly processed carbohydrate. Now, there is a little history here, she would not eat anything other then a puree food [and breastmilk of course] until about 4 months ago, she is 18 months. In an effort to just get her to eat a bit more I gave her those foods, but now she will have nothing to do with other foods, like bananas. I don't likr having all these crackers around [organic ones but i'd like to get away from processed foods eventually]. She just REFUSES to eat solids fruits and veggies. I've been pureeing her foods, which i dont mind but i'd rather she snacked on an apple instead of a bagel KWIM? Any ideas to help me get her off the processed foods?<br><br>
thanks!<br>
--Angela

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Hm - that's tough. How about oatmeal with grated apples, my kids really like that. Also millet porridge or brown rice pudding are soft to eat but whole grain. You might also want to try sprouted breads and bagels which at least are less refined than flour.<br><br>
Maybe you could limit the foods you don't want her to eat - like she gets crackers at snack time but that's it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
What about making "chips" from root vegetables. Potato, would be an obvious one, but I would think carrots, beets, turnips, sweet potatoes, and things along those lines would work.<br><br>
Slice them thin, coat with just a bit of olive oil and spices (if you think it will be more appealing), then spread out on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Put it under the broiler until it looks crispy.<br><br>
Would some sort of dip or spread for the crackers, ect, work? You can put all sorts of good stuff in dips, and it would allow her to keep her current comfort food for right now, then maybe transition into dipping vegetables.<br><br>
I have also seen recipes around for various kind of crackers and bars that you make yourself. That would allow you to have more control of the ingredients.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts