Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 mo old ds has TONS of hair!! AND he HATES to have it washed. He tries to stand up in the tub, anything to get away from the shower sprayer! He also does not like laying back and getting it washed that way, maybe it makes him feel like he's going to drown or something?
I tried one of those visors, they're too big! They just fall down around his neck.
He has so much hair that he's not patient enough for a cup of water dumped over his head, takes too darn long!

What do I do???

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
When my ds was little I would cradle him in my arms while sitting in the tub and sway him so that his head would dip into the running water. He didn't like it but he didn't hate it as much as other methods. He felt more secure and I could control his angle to keep water from running in his face. I've since decided that babies and kids really need very little in the way of hair washing. Once a month is plenty, IMO.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooo I should try that. He gets a little crazy feeding himself bananas now.....I usually find I've got to do it at least once a week cause he's got banana in his hair!
that's a great idea though I should try that. just get in when hes' gotta get his hair washed...

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
First, I avoid it. I don't wash my daughter's hair unless I *need* to.

Use a wet (not dripping) washcloth on his head. Then shampoo if necessary, and keep wiping it with the cloth until the shampoo is gone.

Take him swimming.
I find my daughter's head gets pretty wet this way, which cleans it well enough.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe try a warm wet washcloth to clean up the banana mess as it happens? My daughter has no issue with being cleaned up- I give the credit to my husband, who makes a game of it- kiddo loves it.

We don't do much hair washing, but do more spot-washing. I tend to have dry skin, and think dd's is much like mine.

Is water enough? I think it's the soap rinsing that makes kids nuts. Just water can be a good thing.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I still do this with my 3.5 year old...
Sit in the bath with her, cross legged, and hold her on my lap. She nurses, and I place one of my arms firmly under her head to support her, so she doesn't get scared, then lean her back into the water, still nursing. I then sit her up a litlle to shampoo, then dip her back down again to rinse. She hated the sprayer, was afraid of water in her eyes.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
We use the washcloth method here - dd has a full head of red hair now, and does not particularly like having it rinsed! Oh for the days shen she was tiny enough for me to wash her in the kitchen sink, and rinse her off under a running tap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.