Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have evolved from eating ok to making homecooked meals at least 5 nights a week, to buying mostly organic ingredients. But I have found that we don't eat enough veggies. I tend to make a main dish and no sides except for salad. Quiche, mexican food, soups etc but I want a side of something colorful.

What do you do for that veggie on the side?

amy

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love veggies, so usually something pretty simple. You could always add a cheese sauce or maybe some salsa to camouflage the veggies if you're not a big fan.

*green beans - steam till tender then toss with butter (or olive oil) and some dill
*broccoli - just steam and eat!
*spinach - saute in butter or olive oil and toss with pine nuts and salt
*sweet potatoes (or regular potatoes) - slice or dice and toss with olive oil. Season with salt and/or herbs. Bake for about 20 minutes till tender. Homemade fries!
*swiss chard - get the bright lights kind for wonderful colors. I like to just steam and toss with a touch of butter and salt.
*beets - bake, then peel and slice

You can also do a risotto/pilaf thing and mix veggies (peas, corn, chopped carrots, onions, etc.) with rice and maybe cook it all in some chicken or vegetable broth for more flavor.

I also like to add fresh veggies (soybeans and broccoli in particular) to a simple meal of whole wheat pasta with (preferably homemade) marina sauce.

Good stuff!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
This is why I love soup

I have a cajun style soup I love that has about 5 different veggies.
Salads are an easy one . Have ahuge sald at lunchtime. MM. hungry now... must go eat...

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Oh, creamed spinach is a favorite here. Saute onions, garlic- add spinach until wilted, slat pepper , nutmeg, parmesan, a little cream(it's also easy to make this vegan by substituting milks and cheese). Puree and eat.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just got an indoor electric grill for twenty bucks
It's great for veggies like potatoes, eggplant, and squash because you don't have to cut them up into tiny pieces, just slice lengthwise, season and grill. Very yummy! I'm also gonna look into making some sauces to go with them, I love sauces
but I'm not sure what ones are good with grilled veggies.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Big salads. Each day I eat a very large salad with at least 3 servings of lettuce, 1 of carrots, 1 of cucumber, and usually some avocado too. So yummy.

We have a grill too but the last time I used it it was SOOOOOOO freaking hard to clean. Who can help me with that?

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
This is not for everyone- but I like carrot/kale juice. I throw in some other veggies sometimes. I have a Vita Mix which is easy to clean- can't help you with the grill problem, Erin- easy clean-up definitely matters.

We also do soup- spinach soup is good- saute onions, garlic in olive oil, add salt pepper and saute spinach until done- add water and rice milk or other then purree.

Bean and veggie soup is good also.

Also steamed veggies with rice- I chop a variety of veggies and throw in the steamer. Almost anything can be steamed.

Cole slaw is good and super easy if you have a food processer.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Off the top of my head....

Kabobs on the grill with chicken or shrimp and chunks of tomato, zucchini, and red peppers.

Whenever you roast anything toss in some onions, carrots and potatoes.

Snack on carrots and celery when youre jonesing for crunch.

You can add spinach or wheatgrass to fruit smoothies without affecting the taste.

Get creative with salads recipes and try to make one a day.

Artichoke and asparagus are delicious with melted butter! just steam and eat! mmmm....

Chop up some bok choy and add whenever you are making a rice dish.

Baking squash is easy, filling, comfort food.

Mushrooms are delicous chopped up, and fried in olive oil, add garlic and pine nuts. *drool*

Make some spinach and artichoke (google for recipe) dip and use it to dip your veggies in.

Snow peas added to stiry fry or salad.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I
my veggies... but admit that I sometimes slack off. I'm not so big on just snacking on them, though I love salads. But, I get really lazy about prepping veggies sometimes - for salads or cooked.

I make up big pots of chili and soup with tons of veggies, and freeze some. That way I can just thaw and heat for a quick meal.

I usually eat way more than a "serving" of whatever veggie(s) I'm preparing with dinner. A good example of one of my dinners is a small chicken leg, a cup of brown rice, and about three cups of steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Ok, it's not very varied in a single day, but averaged out over several days it works out well

This sounds like a cheesy cop-out, but they boil down an amazing amount of tomatoes to make tomato sauce. If you buy tomato sauce that isn't full of tons of filler junk, that quarter cup you put on your pasta really counts! (I boil down tomatoes from my garden and freeze the sauce to use until it runs out, and believe me - there's tons of tomatoes in there!)

Try buying frozen veggies to throw in to, well, almost anything. Since they're already prepped (i.e. the sugar snap peas have been stringed, green beans have been topped and tailed, kale has been blanched,) they're easy to add to any pot or saute pan. Try throwing peas in your tomato sauce

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Wow! This is awesome. I was just thinking that I do not eat enough veggies. Actually, with my nb, I sometimes don't eat anything until dinner time! :LOL

Erin, cleaning my George Foreman grill got a lot easier when I quit using the useless cleaning tool that came with it. I use one of those disposable scrubbing sponges. It makes it so easy! I throw the sponge in the dishwasher and use it a few times before changing to a new one. Just make sure to store this sponge in a place where it isn't used for cleaning anything else.
It also helps if you clean it while it's still warm. HTH!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like to broil veggies like zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, asparagus, onions, etc. I slice the ones that need it (maybe 1/4" to 1/2" thick). Then I throw them in a plastic bag with a little olive oil and toss until coated, then lay them out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper (sometimes a little Montreal seasoning) and broil in oven until browned then flip them and broil other side. Mmmmm. Even DH requests zucchini this way and usually he's not a zucchini fan. Sometimes I broil an extra big batch and then reheat them another day or use them to make veggie lasagna. I also like them grilled on the BBQ when it's warm outside.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a question about the frozen vegetables. Can you use them just like you use fresh veggies? I've used frozen corn and peas before but that's it. And if they actually help me eat more vegetables I would consider diversifying(sp?) which ones I buy.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I buy frozen veggies - organic corn, peas, green beans and peppers are very cheap at Trader Joe's. I typically steam them and then toss with butter or EVOO, salt and pepper for a quick side to any meal. I also use frozen veggies in my soups.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I am working on this as well. I have been trying to buy and try new veggies, we never ate much variety growing up and it was always fried. What is working for me is being a little forgiving on how I fix the veggies- if it is not exactly the healthiest instead of concentrating on all the most healthiest. Last night I made asparagus, yummy!!

here is the recipe:

sesame asparagus
1 1/2 t sesame oil, 1 lb asparagus cut in 1 in. pieces, 1 t. sugar, 1 1/2 t. soy sauce

heat oil, add asparagus, cook until slightly tender, add soy sauce, cook min or so, add sugar cook for 30 sec. or so. I also sprinkled sesame seeds on top!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've started cutting up a plate of fresh veggies and dh & I snack on them with hummus while I fix dinner. It takes like 5 min. to make and we get in a ton of veggies and are a little full so we don't gorge ourselves on dinner and dessert so much. I use a variety of different veggies so it's always interesting.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
The frozen veggies are generally parboiled before freezing, and the freezing and thawing makes them even softer. So, they take very little time to cook. Thus for cooking, they're often easier than using fresh. Their flavor is usually affected by the freezing, which is why they have a bad rap. But, the flavor isn't usually bad, just not as great as fresh. (The exception seems to be asparagus - I think they use too-old asparagus for freezing... it's often nasty) That is an acceptable tradeoff to me sometimes when I find I'm too rushed or scatterbrained to feed my family as well as I'd like.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
ooh, another idea - if you can afford to use baby spinach in place of regular spinach, it's really easy to throw into soups, even canned soups. Or you can saute it really quickly in olive oil by itself or with a bit of garlic, salt and pepper. You don't need to stem it or chop it, and since it's a "salad mix" type thing, they typically even pre-wash it for you. But, that comes at a luxury price...

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
We don't have nearly enough veggie sides with our meals (we're vegan BTW.) However, we do have huge salads with our meals at least 4-5 times a week. And by a huge salad, I mean at least 4 cups of veggies each plus an avocado each. With Romaine, cabbage, carrots, red onion, raddicio, endive, etc. you get a lot of minerals. And did you know that avocado has more minerals and vitamins than any other fruit, plus 3g of protein per serving, and lots of really healthy oils? I eat at least 3-4 per week.

We like green beans, partially steamed, then sautee diced shallots in olive oil, add beans, and cook a few minutes until hot and al dente. In other small pan, sautee slivered almonds until browned. Add to beans at the end. YUM!

Brussel Sprouts - slice off the bottom edge, the cut with an X, place in a little bit of water and lemon juice in the bottom of a large pot, cover, and steam, then serve with butter/margerine, salt and pepper.

Artichokes - steamed with melted butter

Collard Greens - sautee sliced leeks or onions in olive oil, then add strips of collars with some water and steam/sautee until done. Season with some chili seeds, tabasco, etc.

Braising Greens - sautee onions in pot with lid, then add braising greens, spices, etc. and a little water, cover but stir frequently until done. This is great when you add some veggie sausage partway through. Also good with blackeyed peas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.