Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious where all of us are "coming" from!

I went to Catholic School from K-8th grade. Spent three years of high school at a Catholic school and then went on to graduate from my local public school. I was a smarty pants in the early years of elementary school but around 8th grade, I started to slack-off. High School?...well I did really crummy after the first semester freshman year...managed to pull off honor rolls one or twice senior year but tooo late for any scholarships

I attended 1.5 years of college. Put on hold because I just wasn't interested in taking all the classes I needed to graduate....all I wanted to take were the classes that interested me...math & psychology

I've taken two years of Spanish and I only know about 10 words. :LOL

I've never learned a musical instrument...well unless it counts that I can play a few songs on the piano but only from watching a friend play.

So, now...here I am down the road....planning on attending homeopathy school
It's one of my passions right now but I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up :LOL

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Kindergarten: local public school
1st & 2nd: Lutheran school
3rd - 6th: local public school
7th & 8th: Baptist school
9th: Brethren school, and then transferred to a local public school in a new neighborhood
10th: Catholic, and then transferred to local public school
10th - 12th: local public school

One and a half years at community college, majoring in art with the intention to go into elementary ed. Then on to a four year college to get a B.A., but ended up getting the degree in anthropology rather than art. Art classes had been very frustrating - and I didn't learn nearly as much from them as I've learned from various workshops in later years. Anthropology, on the other hand, offered some pretty interesting classes.

Meanwhile, took all the elementary ed classes for getting a credential - learned nothing from them. Substitute taught in place of student teaching - that was an option in CA at the time. After some time in the classrooms, I realized I didn't want to be in that world at all! Wanted to travel around the country, see how people lived, etc. - got a job as an airline stewardess (what we were called before the guys started getting into the job and couldn't very well be called stewardesses) and did that for eight years. Did a fair amount of travel, including overseas.

Got married, quit flyng, got a massage therapist certificate and then got sidetracked into a passion for stained glass. Got pregnant, was a full time mom, was always very involved in my son's schools, and then discovered homeschooling by the time my son was seven. Our family did a lot of traveling during his homeschooling years. As he grew up, I got back into painting and have been pursuing it with a passion. I'm now finishing up some work on my noncommercial homeschooling website - my gift the homeschooling community - and we're about to move to Seattle for the summer, and then on explore a number of other places to settle down and focus on painting. Have been living out in the country for 19 years, and am ready for sidewalks that go to the theater, opera, sidewalk cafes, galleries, crowds, commotion, and all the big city has to offer.
Lillian

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Public school K-2
Catholic School 3-10
Public School 11-12

I went to an awesome "social justice"y Catholic school. The sisters were so loving and strong in their convictions. I don't have one negative thing to say about my Catholic school experience!

I had some odd school experiences though.

In second grade I was in a combined second/third grade class. They put all of us gifted second graders in there (!!) and we basically were allowed to work at our own pace. Mostly I remember getting in trouble for talking and having to write "I will not talk in class" over and over again.

When I went to Catholic school my parents fought to allow me to continue in the public school gifted program, since the Catholic school didn't have one. It is actually one of my best memories, my divorced parents who couldn't even be in a room without killing each other, fighting together to give me this gift. Once a week I would walk over to the public school after lunch. The teacher was my best friend's mother, but the teachers at the Catholic school were not thrilled with me missing a half day a week.

By fifth and sixth grade the gifted program was a whole day a week, and I think at that point the teachers were glad to see me gone. :LOL Once a week I didn't have to wear my uniform and I got to catch a bus for the gifted class. I learned to program a TRS-80 (saving my programs on a cassette tape, not a disk!), got to plan my own experiments and projects, wrote an opera, learned to type and silk screen, was read to, wrote, and had all sorts of opportunities.

Unfortunately, these ended in the sixth grade. The teachers wanted me to skip a grade, but my parents felt I was already socially backward enough. I have an August 17 birthday, and was always one of the younger and immature kids in my class. So, instead, I spent reading, English, and history sitting in the hall working through high school and college texts at my own pace. And I got into lots of trouble. I plotted so many schemes, it wasn't even funny.

In high school, I enjoyed taking AP level history and English classes, and spent study hall in the practice rooms in the music wing. I got very involved in theater and county/district/regional/state chorus.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Oh, in college I changed my major 7 times. I just couldn't figure out how to fit everything I wanted into one major. I wanted music/el ed/ English. Waldorf homeschooling really meets these needs in me! Teaching Kindermusik also seemed like a good combination of all my interests. I ended up with a music education major with a voice concentration and an English minor. I went to grad school for a masters in early childhood education, but never finished, because I started my family.

·
Registered
631 Posts
K - Rural public K (lived in the country with both parents, then they got divorced and me, mom, and little sis moved to the big city to live with my grandparents for 7 years)

1st to 6th - NYC public elementary (top tracked class all the way through - hated it)

7th - NYC public junior high school (hated it due to barely passing and being bullied by a boy who always stole my lunch, grabbed me, and tried to kiss me every day at recess. I was in an "SP" class which meant I would have skipped 8th grade but I didn't want to go back)

8th - Catholic school (thought it would be better than the crappy junior high. It was ok - still hated it, though and was pretty much a loner. At graduation the one other new kid got the award for "adjusting-well-and-making-lots-of-friends-despite-being-new"
: )

9th to 12th - Catholic high school (really freakin' hated it. I joined some activities, but had a job the last 2 years - so no more extra-curricular)

College - Went to St. John's University and got a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. College was kinda fun. Loved the freedom. Drank a lot. Changed my major 3 times. By the 4th year I was ready to get the heck out of there. Made some good friends throughout.

I would have been a great unschooled kid. I remember reading the dictionary and set of encyclopedias for fun at 7 years old
. I think my parents' divorce had a huge affect on me in that I was always very nervous and worried. Then we moved in with my new stepfather who I hated and always compared me with his perfect daughter (same age as me). We all love each other now, but it definitely screwed up my schooling and ability to make friends. <<psych major, remember?>>

Sometimes I wonder if my vicious hatred of school is still in the back of my mind and that made me more open to homeschooling. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
We moved a lot...

Public (?) K in Maryland. I think it was public, but I also remember being one of the few gentile kids during December, so who knows. I wrote letters to me kindergarten teacher for years - adored her. She (and many of my teachers) did a lot of adapting stuff for me.

Public Grade 1 and half of Grade 2 in Overland Park, Kansas.

Middle of Grade 2 to middle of Grade 4 at a very funky open private Catholic school in Kansas City, Loretto. We got to choose our own classes and there were no grades, so we studied things like the Equal Rights Amendment. Each pod had about 60 kids, grouped by both age and ability, and within each pod you went to different classes.

Middle of grade 4 through grade 8 - public school in Tucson. I went to 4 different schools during that time, just because of how the district was switching things around. Junior high was the only time in my K-12 years that I spent two full school years at the same school.

Grade 9 - Private Catholic school in Tucson

Grade 10 - Started at local high school. Ran away from home in October, never went back home. I was in and out of the local school, when I was in foster care and at a shelter home, and I also was in institutions for a good bit of time and went to school there as well. I never graduated, but took my GED the year I would have graduated.

I messed around with community college on and off and finally returned to college when I was 24 (and 6 months pregnant) and wentat least parttime every semester but one until I graduated from Arizona State at 29 with a B.A. in Special Ed. I've taken a few graduate classes, nothing major.

I loved school. I was bored out of my skull most of the time, but I had some great teachers whop did lots of special things for me, and I was in some cool programs, especially Loretto and the 4th grade gifted program in Tucson.

Dar

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Pre-K-1st grade: homeschooled, learned to read and loved it

2nd-4th grade: Public school, hated it... I could read and the entire rest of the 2nd grade class was behind and still learning to read. It was really boring for me. I was a tiny little girl and even beat up by a big bully boy (he was not punished since it was hormones that drove him to pick me up and throw me on the ground
). I was glad to leave PS.

5th-6th grade: a small baptist church run private academy using ACE curriculum. I liked the system and excelled at it.

7th-8th grade: we moved out of state so had to leave the previous school so we homeschooled again. I liked it this way.

9th grade, 1 semester: a church run school. I didn't like it very much and quit at end of semester

9th grade, 2nd semester- graduation: homeschooled, involved in outside activities and worked part-time from age 15 on. I took one semester of Spanish at the HS, but it seemed like we wasted a lot of time and didn't learn much. I took driver's ed so I could get my license right away since I had a job. I received a GED two months after I turned 18. I already had a nice job at the public library and was engaged so I decided not to go to college since I didn't really know what I wanted to "be" just yet anyway.

Now I'm married with two kids (so far) and plan to homeschool my kids. Once they're older and/or out of the house I'll probably pursue more schooling. I'm drawn to several areas; I've considered becoming a homeopath, homebirth midwife, lactation consultant etc. I still don't know what I want to be!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Age 12-16 Public school in very rural, conservative area
Age 16-17 Public School in urban area (got a boundary exception, still lived in my rural town)
Age 17-18 Experimental public "free school" where designed own curriculum, actually based on Grace Llewellyn's teachings

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I did public for K-6th, private for 7th, homeschooled 8th, alternative school and home tutor 9th, and dropped out in 10th.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
public school K-12. (Maryland) Was bullied constantly because I was a) gullible, b)overweight, and c) smart. Was bored beyond belief at school, though I was in "gifted" classes. Got scholarships to college.

Went to acting school for college, dropped after less than a year. Went to voice conservatory for 1 1/2. (Chicago)

Became professional actress/singer, moved to NYC. Eventually went to full-time undergrad college (CUNY, Hunter) and did 4 years of undergrad.

Moved to Cambridge, MA to go to Harvard University. Went for 2 years, did amazing things and had a wonderful,. fantastic time. Got pregnant, left when dd#1 was 14 months old so that I could be fulltime mom.

After my kids are older, I will write (something I have always loved to do) and see if I can complete and sell a novel or two. And, of course, we'll be homeschooling.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Catholic school grades 1-3. Bored and scared. After I got into a fight with a boy who'd pushed another girl, my mother asked if I'd be happier in another school...

...grades 4-12 were in public schools, but I was bored. I never studied for tests, only did the minimum of homework and just glided by with mostly B's and some C's. I was a dancer at the time and didn't care about school at all. My report cards always said, "Doesn't apply herself."

I wanted to go to NYC after high school, but parents insisted on college. Couldn't afford the college I wanted, so ended up at a state U. Partied through my first semester and dropped out.

Went to medical assisting school (needed a job) and worked in that field for a few years. Went back to college and earned a BS in Community Health Education. Worked in health/social services for a bunch of years, (and had a couple of kids) then went back to school again for a teaching degree. Got a BA in English/writing (had another baby between midterms and finals) but dropped out of the MA program to homeschool my kids.

I can't think of anything I learned in school that comes close in importance to what I learned from life, or of my own initiation.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Public school from K-12 (actually, K-13, since in Ontario, Canada, there was an extra year of high school, originally in lieu of first year university). There was no gifted program so I was skipped twice in elementary school and compressed my high school program to finish it a year sooner.

My elementary school was a brand-spanking-new school in a new area at the end of the 1960's, filled with optimistic new hippie-teachers. It had some unschooling-like ideas at work ... no grades until 4th grade, lots of multi-age classrooms, self-directed learning, etc.. That all fell apart in middle school (which I hated) and high school (ditto). All I wanted to do was get out quickly.

In the meantime I was very involved in music (chiefly violin and viola) outside the school system. It helped me survive and gave me the challenge I was missing at school.

Miranda

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Grades 1-12 : small town public school

State University : B.S. Major computer science, minor psychology
M.S. a few hours towards my masters but never completed

Jobs : learned more about my field on the job than in school

SAHM : I've become an unschooler since my son was born 5.5 years ago - I'm devouring information about things that interest me!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I went to public school k-12, I only switched schools in between elementary, jr high and high school, and i had the same best friend from k-12. I was smart and quiet, but I didn't have any bad experiences, I wasn't bullied, I had a few friends, I learned pretty well and got good grades...but I just don't think an "ok" education is enough, I want to give my kids the best...plus my oldest is much more like dh, who was too smart for public education and ended up just doing enough to pass cuz he was bored.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
no preschool
k - public
1-8 catholic. catholic part was good, school part was bad, socially. academically i was fine but to anxious to benefit.
9-12 public, started crappy but improved
Bowling Green State Univ - one year
University of CIncinnati -3 yrs, BA Sociology
Started Boston College PhD Program, had baby, stayed to complete MA,
Mama Univ.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Pre-K - Taught to read fluently at home by mom

K - Hebrew school kindy; the only thing I remember is feeling very isolated and reading a lot of Dr. Seuss.

1st - Public school in Tucson. When I was put into a reading group, we were all supposed to read in turn. I couldn't figure out why all the kids were reading like robots, e.g., "Dick...and..J...ane...w...went.." When I couldn't slow down my own reading to the satisfaction of the group (e.g., "TEEACHER! She's READING too FAST!") the teacher smacked my butt with a wooden paddle she kept hung behind her desk.

Rest of 1st -- Spent it in the library, all day, every day, doing "book reports" that I am now certain were never read. Read a great many biographies of famous people and learned not one thing about math, which is why I am NOT an unschooling homeschooling mom.

2nd - Back to Hebrew school, feeling more isolated than ever. Read a great deal -- the entire Oz series, L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Copied down French and Greek sayings I liked from that book and vowed to learn French and Greek. Identified a great deal with the belligerent, angry Meg.

3rd-12th- Back to public school because my mom got divorced and we couldn't afford Hebrew school; besides, I didn't learn anything, not even Hebrew.

In repeated fights throughout grammar school and was frequently informed that I was ugly and retarded. I found it boring and was most of the time done with the reading assignment (and into the third or fourth one) halfway through the time given the rest of the students. Most of the time, I remember surreptitiously reading books at my desk after I'd answered the silly chapter questions. I remember thinking, "What the heck is a 'schwa' and why is it important that I know this?"

High school was not much better. Convinced by that time that I was definitely ugly and retarded, I didn't really care about much of any class except for English, and impressed my future sophomore teacher by reciting chunks of Hamlet when I was a freshman. I had two or three teachers in high school who made me realize I maybe wasn't an idiot, and he was one of them. I was told that I should be a fire-watcher by my guidance counselor.

College - Went to a Southwestern university and once I pulled my head out of my butt, did very well and got departmental honors and a Mellon fellowship to the grad school of my choice.

Grad School - Went to the this one Midwestern university and hated it. After I got my M.A., there was no direction and no plan -- people drifted endlessly there for years. Also, there were (at that time) no opportunities for people to teach. Did not continue with Ph.D. This is another reason why I could not be an unschooler.

Ed School - Went to the College of Education and despised it because the professors there (I use the term very loosely) were dunderheads of the highest order. I screwed around most of the time and only learned from one guy (an EXCELLENT teacher -- not an "education professor," that oxymoronic contradiction in terms, but a real teacher ) and from my cooperating teacher.

Now I'm a teacher.:LOL And we're homeschooling our kid.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I went to public school, but my parents taught me after school. My mom did structured lessons when I was learning to read, and when I fell behind, and my dad did more unschooling type lessons. My parents have told me that school is for socializing, but parents have to teach their children what they want them to know.

I went to the college down the street from my parents for 3 years, got an AA in 2 yrs, needed one more class to transfer in my major, so I stayed on an extra year to compete in my sport.

I was a nursing student, and I was on lengthy waiting lists, and was about out of money, so decided to leave school and join the military to get clinical experience, then return for my RN, and then my PA.

Spent a year in military training, then worked as a nurse for 2 1/2 years, hated it, got out, got married, had a baby. I picked up a few psych courses and LOVED IT.

Now I'm a senior at a small southern university, majoring in Psych, minoring in Sociology. I have a spot promised to me in the Counseling Education graduate school if I can keep my grades up.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
K- private school (Bryn Mawr). It was fun and relaxed. I remember putting on pretend weddings in French.

1- Baltimore city public school. Horrible. There was broken glass on our playground. I was one of two white kids, thus a weirdo. I was one of ten kids in the "gifted" clas because I would read.

2->5- Moved to Baltimore county and went to public school. Not horrible, but I was bored a lot

6->8- Went to a "magnet school" for environmental science. Better than the middle school I would have went to, but I still was bored a lot in the normal classes (English, etc)

9th and 1/2 of 10th grade- local public high school. I really would have rather been at the library. Sometimes I skipped school to go there instead.

After the first half of tenth grade, I dropped out (rose up?). I couldn't take it anymore. I was suffocating. I've taken classes at community college ever since, when I see one that interests me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.