Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that Camden Rose may stop making some of their beloved toys--including (gasp!) their gorgeous wood kitchen--because of the new Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. This got me all freaked out!!!!

What do you all know about this Act and how it is going to affect our natural toy makers? Take a look at this website. It sounds as though it will be illegal to sell (and therefore we will be unable to buy) any toy from a company not in compliance by February. But the costs of being in compliance are totally cost-prohibitive for small toymakers.

Please write to your representatives and ask them to amend the law so that our beloved toy makers won't be harmed. I don't want my only option for toys to be from the large manufacturers and Chinese manufacturers who could afford the new toys regs.
:

Cross-posted in Politics

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It is crazy!

I make wool playfood out of wool sweaters that I buy at Goodwill. I don't sell it, but I do trade it with other mom's who make little kids' toys.

I really wonder what will happen. I try really hard to avoid MIC. I usually buy Plan Toys, Maple Landmark, Selecta, and then I get a bunch of stuff from thrift stores and garage sales. How are they going to regulate that??

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Geez, how ridiculous!!! Handmade or US/Canada/European-made toys haven't been the issue. It's the huge companies who move to China to cut costs and shirk regulations. Impose the new regulations only where they're needed - MIC corporations.
:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
Impose the new regulations only where they're needed - MIC corporations.
:
I wish this was true. Check out the new results from healthytoys.org, many toys (even US and German made) tested high for things like Bromine, Arsenic, Chlorine, etc. I was sick to find out this HABA toy that my dd played with as an infant was listed high for Arsenic.

http://www.healthytoys.org/product.d...?getrecno=6935

***this is NOT to say that I agree with the CPSIA*** I think this is classic government overstepping -- throwing the baby out with the bathwater mentality.

I just wanted to pass on the info that I found out about a few days ago. As parents we can't take anything for granted when it comes to our lo.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh mama, don't feel sick!!! I wasn't thrilled to see the score on the HABA blocks either, but their arsenic rating was ~150 ppm, whereas some other toys had arsenic levels in the thousands of ppm. I'm in no way saying that I think it's just fine and dandy for HABA to have a ~150 ppm reading, I'm just trying to keep it in perspective. (I mean, I've even taken arsenic as a homeopathic remedy...and it helped!) I still think HABA is a good toy company (although I have other problems with them that I won't go into here).

HABA can most likely afford to comply with the regulations, and they should. (Although HABA is a German company, some of their toys are MIC.) But my concern is mainly with the wonderful small companies here in the US that obtain their materials from sustainable sources and use finishes like beeswax!

C'mon, US government! Let these small businesses who have been providing us with beautiful, safe toys be able to meet your regulations in a way that is reasonable and affordable.

See my post on Selecta...

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
I don't know what to think honestly about all this... part of me is very worried about finding toys for my son in the future that aren't MIC. But the other part of me thinks that this is all just major fear mongering and totally not going to happen. That these regulations just don't do what some folks think they do. That there are/will be exceptions/exemptions for small toymakers. I just really, really don't see this one law shutting down all these toymakers. But we'll see.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I emailed my Congressman and Representative. Part of me, too, wonders if this is a bunch of hoopla over nothing, but I would rather hedge my bets and have protections written into the legislation.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
I don't know what to think honestly about all this... part of me is very worried about finding toys for my son in the future that aren't MIC. But the other part of me thinks that this is all just major fear mongering and totally not going to happen. That these regulations just don't do what some folks think they do. That there are/will be exceptions/exemptions for small toymakers. I just really, really don't see this one law shutting down all these toymakers. But we'll see.
Selecta has already decided not to sell in the US. But there will be exemptions/exemptions, as you say, if we make our voices heard! Peggy O'Mara has been posting about this in the Activism board. She also put an activism alert on the Mothering homepage.
:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was just going to drop in the sample letter the Mothering site provided (after you click on the alert on the splash page) and email it to my rep, is that ok?

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Oh, don't worry, I've emailed my congressman/senator about this too. I'm just skeptical. I keep reading people SAY that select has already said it will stop selling toys... but *I* can't find any press release that says so. And honestly, I'm most skeptical because there is *NOTHING* on any of the sites that actually sell these toys (Oompa, Rosie Hippo, etc) to alert their customers - and it seems to me that they would have as much to loose as just about anyone, you know? Everything I'm reading about this is in blogs. Not to say theres anything wrong with blogs, just that I'm not seeing any news releases to back them up. So, I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Oh, don't worry, I've emailed my congressman/senator about this too. I'm just skeptical. I keep reading people SAY that select has already said it will stop selling toys... but *I* can't find any press release that says so. And honestly, I'm most skeptical because there is *NOTHING* on any of the sites that actually sell these toys (Oompa, Rosie Hippo, etc) to alert their customers - and it seems to me that they would have as much to loose as just about anyone, you know? Everything I'm reading about this is in blogs. Not to say theres anything wrong with blogs, just that I'm not seeing any news releases to back them up. So, I'm skeptical.
http://www.playthings.com/article/CA6620437.html

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Wow. My kids have some beautiful handmade toys from etsy. I would hope they won't have to go out of business

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.