Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My midwife asked me this today at my almost 30 week appointment and I feel it's WAY too early to really be thinking about it. IT was my issue last time around, trying to hard to control, to fight, to resist, and I slowed things down for myself.

So what pain relief methods are you planning on employing at your birth and why?

ILANA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
gosh.. I dunno how I would feel about being asked that question by a midwife.
But, here's some of our tools...

DH and I will being calling in our meditation and movement practices I am sure during the labor. We will chant and sing and give devotionals to Spirit. Also, we have been doing some hypnosis work together. The hot tub will be available. We've got a birth ball. And DH will do some cupping/acupressure if I need. And thank goodness I can be outside under the vast sky and walk the land. But besides all these tools (and more), I basically just plan on being as wild as I need to be! For me, I think the key is having as much freedom to wild-out and as few people around as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,677 Posts
This is something that I have thought about off and on throughout the pregnancy... not knowing HOW painful it will be it is hard to come up with a good answer. We are having a water birth (or at least labouring in water) so the hot tub is one tool. Breathing, relaxation/meditation, etc. is the next main tool. And, like Baraka mentions, having very few people around so I feel free to do as I need to do to deal with things. We also have a birth ball and a nice hot shower available to me.

However, I know that I have a much higher tolerance for pain than a lot of people, so I am hoping that I will be able to cope fairly well. The times that I have been in pain, like breaking limbs, after-surgery pain (eye surgery and an AWFUL wisdom tooth extraction) etc I have been able to breath through any pain and focus on relaxing through it rather than focussing on the pain itself, which I have found is the best strategy. *shrug* here's hoping!

Oh, and I'm not so sure that I would really want to answer that question from my midwife either....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,136 Posts
arnica, hot bathwater
, and lots of visualization. i find that it's near-impossible to NOT close my eyes during labor, but if i let myself the pain is 10x worse. So candles for a focal point, music to distract myself, stuff like that.

I wonder if you mw asked that as a way to kinda be nosy about what books/techniques you've familiarized yourself with....like she's quizzing you on your self-education
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
I currently have shower or regular tub, birth ball, counterpressure, breathing, enhanced knowledge and spirituality and empowerment this time around, and hopefully little distraction as available options. I guess I shouldn't count little distraction yet since I haven't made the official arrangements for the kidlets during labor yet. I REALLY want to get a pool and other than that I'm watching for suggestions too. I have lots of land out back to wander if I feel like it that isn't too close to neighbors if I'm not REALLY loud. I think that more mobility than usual will be a big help this time - I've been pretty stuck to the bed with monitors in previous labors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Isn't she supposed to help you cope?
I've just winged it and kept moving and doing whatever feels good for me at the moment.I rocked and swayed against a wall or a bed.Sat on the birth ball. Moaned and vocalized when it felt like coming out.I plan to do the same thing this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
i have been obsessing over this since about 12 weeks.
i try to visualize as much as possible. im still trying to find a good visualization for the contraction. i get very introspective and quiet mostly. its how I cope with everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given that I told her that my biggest issue last time was fighting the pain and trying to control it, an impossible task, I think that's more what the question was in reference to. She's also just making sure I'm not going to be dependant on crutches and encouraging me to find the power from within to handle it. So it wasn't as off the wall as one would think. It was kind of helpful, actually. But keep those ideas coming!

ILANA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Work with it instead of against it. Knowing all the feelings are what is making this baby come out and encouraging it ALL. I didn't have pain until the baby was actually coming out, but I dealt with the contractions by walking, moving, swaying, NOT sitting or lying down (tried it once, it HURT!!!), breathing, I kind of rubbed/scratched/pushed on my belly to give myself another sensation to feel, made noise, probably a bunch of other stuff. I just really really focused on the cervix opening (not in a real way, more in an abstract "my body is working to birth this baby" way), letting things happen, etc. It will all be over faster if you encourage and work with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
I just really really focused on the cervix opening (not in a real way, more in an abstract "my body is working to birth this baby" way), letting things happen, etc. It will all be over faster if you encourage and work with it.

that was a huge part for me too. I kept saying my body is doing exactly what it should. then the little voice kicked in with the "it is only going to get worse" that wasnt helpful. it didnt help to hear my mom "oh poor thing" ughhh i was trying to be powerful!
make sure that those who are going to be there for you know to be supportive. it can make a world of difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
I plan to use what has worked for me in the past (not including the stupid epidural
: ), including Bradley relaxation techniques, hot showers, counterpressure from DH/doula, and whatever else occurs to me in the moment.
But seriously, the relaxation exercises and the hot water were absolutely key for me in my prior two labors. I also think that moving around and finding different positions that work for you is key -- the best position for me when I was laboring with my daughter was, funnily enough, sitting on the edge of the bed leaning forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittn View Post
i have been obsessing over this since about 12 weeks.
i try to visualize as much as possible. im still trying to find a good visualization for the contraction. i get very introspective and quiet mostly. its how I cope with everything.
Me too.
A visualization that worked really well for me last time was visualizing the actual physical dilation. I would picture the contraction pulling my uterus open over the baby's head (like a turtleneck).
I will probably gravitate toward that one again.

I also have a little fight-club mentality to pain. When I get to experience it (stubbing toe, leg cramp, burn, poo cramps, getting a tattoo, etc.) I try to fully focus on it. Feel it for what it is. It has helped me be unafraid of pain. I've come to know pain. I also use those oportunities to see what works. My brain can turn the pain down. It can acknowledge what it's telling me and shut the alarm off. (I'll sometimes bring on leg/foot cramps for practice)
I know that breathing patterns, talking/moaning/singing, movement all are great for turning down the pain in a different way.

I'm really interested in hypnosis too, but haven't really explored it yet, and I don't know if I really will before this one is born.
I will also have a water tub and birth ball. I will have a lot fewer people at this labor (had 5-6 last time, only 2-3 MAX this time) so I can get as primal as I want (not that I was too inhibited last time, but I would like to explore the sexual aspects of birth and THAT was inhibited).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
I also plan on experiencing it for what it is, acknowledging it and letting it happen. I don't count my first three births as they were unnatural and medicated, so as far as this is concerned, I feel like I really only have one birth experience to draw on, even though this is my fifth baby. Anyway, with my last birth the contractions were painless. It was the intense pressure when the baby was literally coming out that I had a hard time wrapping my head around. I was in shock, because the way that labor happened and where my mind was at the time (clearly not with my body). So I'm positive if I am mentally prepared for being alone, and having my mw with me, plus if I can somehow keep my mind connected with my body, I will be able to deal well with it all. I tried hypnosis (Hypnobabies) but it was not working for me, I tried, really I did...for weeks but I just can't get the hang of it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I want a jello tub

Wait a sec! Was it you that I was in a jello tub conversation with in the Official Boost your thread Count thread????

LOL. Does sound good for labor, till it starts a melting. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Wait a sec! Was it you that I was in a jello tub conversation with in the Official Boost your thread Count thread????

LOL. Does sound good for labor, till it starts a melting. . .
Um no, that must have been some other freak!!
But you're right, it does sound good.... until you get out and are sticky. If you wanted something cool it would be good... and you would probably feel more weightless in jello than in water. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Me too.
A visualization that worked really well for me last time was visualizing the actual physical dilation. I would picture the contraction pulling my uterus open over the baby's head (like a turtleneck).
I will probably gravitate toward that one again.

I also have a little fight-club mentality to pain. When I get to experience it (stubbing toe, leg cramp, burn, poo cramps, getting a tattoo, etc.) I try to fully focus on it. Feel it for what it is. It has helped me be unafraid of pain. I've come to know pain. I also use those oportunities to see what works. My brain can turn the pain down. It can acknowledge what it's telling me and shut the alarm off. (I'll sometimes bring on leg/foot cramps for practice)
I know that breathing patterns, talking/moaning/singing, movement all are great for turning down the pain in a different way.

I'm really interested in hypnosis too, but haven't really explored it yet, and I don't know if I really will before this one is born.
I will also have a water tub and birth ball. I will have a lot fewer people at this labor (had 5-6 last time, only 2-3 MAX this time) so I can get as primal as I want (not that I was too inhibited last time, but I would like to explore the sexual aspects of birth and THAT was inhibited).
i like the turtleneck idea i will have to see if I can incorporate that. I went to health food store and bought some rescue remedy and red raspberry leaf tea and papya enzymes. I feel prepared.sort of

im pretty good as far as pain, its the lack of control that seems to be the issue for me. I have chronic pain issues so Im so use to it that i dont even notice until its really bad. I did great with the last two labors until I hit transition. then I lost it. coincidentally that was the point when the dr's broke my water. It will not happen this time. It gets out of control fast and it isnt good. Im working on this one . i have time... i hope.

I will have 2 people with me and the midwife. my dh and my best friend. I have already warned her I may kick her out too. LOL I want it to be simple. I think your on to something with the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
If my midwife asked me something in like that it would bother me. I don't like talking about pain as a foregone conclusion.
I am prepared to deal with pain should it arise (movement, water, massage, breathing, etc.) but I refuse to expect it.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top