Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm far from a germaphobe, but last week we were invited over to another family's house for dinner. They have a 2 yo and a 3 mo, and after we had been there for about half an hour they're talking about how their kids had coughs and the runs... and still had the runs, as of that afternoon. They go to daycare, and I know it's totally common for kids in daycare to be sick often, so maybe they didn't think about it, but I was a little irritated. At the time they were talking about it, their 2 yo was sitting on my lap with my 5 mo in her lap, 'holding' her. I figured we'd already been exposed, so didn't say anything as it wouldn't have accomplished much. My big idea was that if I held their kids enough, I'd get their germs and make antibodies for my baby,which was what I tried to do.

Any thoughts? My baby's not sick, so maybe my little antibody plan worked.

Do you ask before you go over to people's houses if they've been sick? I'm not afraid of illnesses, but I'd be sad if my 5 mo had a stomach bug, ya know?

·
Registered
870 Posts
IMHO I think it was rude of your friend not to warn you that there were illnesses. I always tell people if I even think DD is coming down with somehting. THank goodness no one got sick.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I don't have a problem with germs. I think they make us stronger. My nephews are ALWAYS sick. If we didn't see them when they were sick we would never attend family fuctions (about once a month.)

-Angela

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I always find myself irritated when people bring their young children to things where they will be mauling my toddler. I feel it's rude and you should at least get a warning. A cold isn't a big deal, but fever, croupy cough, flu-ey symtoms, tummy stuff, I hate it when my kid is sick and the parents of the kids who obviously gave it to him could have prevented it. Sick kid means miserable, sleepless kid, which is hard on the whole family. The younger they are the bigger deal I find it. Also, my ds is no longer BF'd so I know he's not got as strong immunity. As background, we weren't super freaks about germs when he was younger, I'd just wipe off his paci and give it to him when it fell around our house and he sometimes eats food off the floor at home (like dry cereal if he drops it), but.... still.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by myhoneyswife View Post
My big idea was that if I held their kids enough, I'd get their germs and make antibodies for my baby,which was what I tried to do.

LOL!! I do the same thing!! When one of my older boys is sick, I usually drink out of their cup or use the same spoon just to make sure I make the antibodies to help protect my baby!!

I'd be ticked off about not being warned too though.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I never worry about germs. DH is parranoid and he's the only one who's ever been sick. Even when DS was a year and a half or so and I got pregnant and lost milk, I still didn't worry about it. BF can boost immunity but it's not like it guarantees your kid never gets sick. I think germs are good for the most part.

I know kids who live in a bubble and are never well. And then I know some very healthy families who have good eating habbits and are always sick too.

We are never sick, and I'm the last person to worry about it

DH washes hands literally 200 times a day I'd bet.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't worry about being sick and I'm not worried that DS will come down with something (he's human, he's bound to get sick sooner or later - but let's hope for later). That said, I do think that it's always polite to warn someone that there has been illness in the house. I've done that for all my friends, before kids and now. It's only right. At the same time, I don't ask if someone's sick before I go to their place, so I guess I shouldn't get mad if they don't tell me.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I would have called and warned you that my kid had diarrhea (sp?) before you came over. Colds don't bother me, but digestive illnesses do. Ew.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I would have called and warned you that my kid had diarrhea (sp?) before you came over. Colds don't bother me, but digestive illnesses do. Ew.
Same here. I personally follow the day care rule I've heard, which is fever over 101 and/or vomiting/diarrhea within the last 24 hours should be kept away. Snotty noses are welcome in my house at any time.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I let people know if my DC have something going on, that way it's their choice to come or not. If they do and get sick then at least they were warned. You never know if someone has a big trip, event coming up and they can't afford to get sick.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I totally agree about full disclosure, especially regarding stomach stuff.
A neighbourhood friend came over with his mother, ate out of my son's bowl,
played with all our toys, and then his mum told me that he was "getting over" a stomach bug.
Guess how we spent the first days of our vacation? (we save up for our 1 vacation/year).
I'm not anti-germs, but I was really really annoyed not to have been given a choice to be exposed to those particular germs at that particular time.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I think it is common couresty to warn guests of illnesses and let them make the choice. Same if your kids were sick, you would call the mom, tell her and let her decide to reschedule.

I would have been annoyed that their illness (slight colds are one thing, but the runs are another) were not disclosed. Next time I got an invite from them I would probably ask if they were sick. (and not care if mom was offended).

I probably wouldn't mention this incidence to the mom, probably not worth it. Hopefully your kids won't get sick!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Colds and diarrhea don't really bother me. If vomiting (EW) or a high fever (which means miserable kid) is involved, I want to know. I think it's just common courtesy to warn people of those things. We'll still visit sick people, but we're more vigilant about handwashing, not getting in faces, etc. Both of my kids are breastfed and never get sick, but I do!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getz View Post
I think it is common couresty to warn guests of illnesses and let them make the choice. Same if your kids were sick, you would call the mom, tell her and let her decide to reschedule.

I would have been annoyed that their illness (slight colds are one thing, but the runs are another) were not disclosed. Next time I got an invite from them I would probably ask if they were sick. (and not care if mom was offended).

I probably wouldn't mention this incidence to the mom, probably not worth it. Hopefully your kids won't get sick!
:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I hate it. My DD doesn't seem to get sick often but I have a knack for catching everything. I am the only one working so my family depends on me being healthy enough to go to work.

My nieces are sick a lot and I never get a warning. it totally irks me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.