Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - My dd and I are moving 3 hours away. I can anticipate now that my ex will want to meet in the middle every other weekend. Not for sleep overs but just to see dd. This means she will be in the car 1.5 hours each way for 3 hours during that day every other weekend.<br><br>
Is this reasonable or awful - ?<br><br>
Also - when would you start overnight visits? I'm thinking not before she turns 3.<br><br>
Our divorce agreement simply says that we will agree on a visitation schedule so I want to be prepared when I move to answer these questions with something I can live with. I'm not sure if I like the idea of Chloe being in the car for so long for so often but I also know that I can't deny her father seeing her.....<br><br>
Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I don't think car time is an issue at all. that seems perfectly reasonable. meeting in the middle is a great idea and my kids easily spend 1 1/2 hours in the car while run errends all the time. and they have been 12- 14 hour road trips a couple times a year since birth. 4-5 hours trips are nothing for them. 1 1/2 hours - we don't even pack toys for a trip of that length.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
My dd's entire paternal side lives a little over a hour and a half away from us. When she<br>
was young I she would sleep during the whole drive there and back. Now we sing songs<br>
and talk or look at all the nature on the way. The drive has never been a problem, and<br>
we've been doing it since she was born.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would consider every other weekend do able, but I would be tempted to tell my ex that he needed to pay for my gas! As things stand for me my ex lives approx 450 miles away. He comes to stay for a weekend every 10-12 weeks. I would like for the children to see him much more often than that, and would probably be willing to meet him half way, but I dont think that is going to happen (he doesn't drive).<br><br>
As far as over night stays...my boys won't be going for an overnight visit with thier dad until my youngest is 5. That is what he and I discussed and agreed upon when we split up (at the time youngest was 6 weeks old and that seemed like forever to me...now he is almost 4 and I wish I had a few more years before I had to send them to stay with thier dad!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts