Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone-

Please help me figure out how to respond to these comments:

My DD is 9 mos old and big for her age (specifically really long). My older DD was the same way, but now at 4 years old, is about average size. Most of my nieces and nephews are on the other end of the spectrum and are really small for their ages.

So I have family members that are obsessed with commenting on how they think that my 9 mos old DD is going to be "really, really, tall," "over 6 feet!" when she grows up. (They did the same thing to my older DD until she slowed down growing).

Both my mom and cousin were tormented all growing up about how everyone thought they were going to be really tall and then they stopped growing at a young age and ended up being actually kind of short. My mom remembers being really bothered by the comments and having nightmares.

I've tried to tell this story about my mom, but they don't get the hint. Should I be more direct, or just drop it because my DD is to young to understand anyway?

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got that a lot with my first. He was a really big kid. Now he's normal size. It never really bothered me much, except that they always said he's going to football player. I replied that He was going to play hockey or lacrosse.
I was told how tall I was going to be, and that I should go into modelling. I stopped growing at 12 and I'm now 5 ft1 and a size 14. So much for my career on the runway.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'd probably point the conversation to your older daughter and say something like, "yeah, she's long, but DD1 was the same way and now she's of average height. I guess that's just the way our girls grow."

I don't know. It bugs me when the same people make the same comments over and over. It's like they don't care enough to listen to the answer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would likely say something along the same lines as woodchick. People are always astonished that my 6 yr old isn't some gargantuan when they find out what his birth weight was. I just smile and nod

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
First baby, those comments are kind of funny. We joke about Lina taking after my grandfather (tall and bald
), for instance. We know perfectly well how she is now has nothing to do with her older build.

Second baby? I'd start pointing to your dd1 and saying something like "tall like she is now? look, those comments were kind of cute the first time around, but now they're old. could you please talk about something other than dd2's height percentile?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.