Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I send out a bulletin over myspace from Dr. Sears about the pain a baby feels when being circ'd...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36...urts-sears.gif

This is one response I received...

Yeah, you're supposed to make sure your doc anesthetizes the penis first! Where there is a nerve, there is a pain receptor! Maybe the issue isn't the circumcision itself (because it's a personal decision) maybe it's the need to educate mothers on how to make sure their doctor's anesthetize. It wouldn't be as dramatic, but probably more effective.

Any suggestions on how I should respond...articles and statics welcome!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Not all doctors use anesthesia and even the injection itself is extremely painful. Ever had a nerve block before having a cavity drilled
Not to mention that completely eliminating all pain during the procedure (impossible) still would not solve the problem of cutting off a functioning part of someone's genitals without their permission!!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
Not all doctors use anesthesia and even the injection itself is extremely painful. Ever had a nerve block before having a cavity drilled

There's also the pain afterward. This is a surgery the kid is recovering from. Nope, no escaping pain, unless you don't do it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdx.mothernurture View Post
Here's a blinkie that might be useful for your myspace page, relating to Dr. Sears & infant pain.

Jen

that is the same thing i sent out
:

fyi...this person is quite mainstream, has a 7 yr old boy(circ'd), and is preg w/a boy...whom i can only assume with be circ'd.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
It is a personal choice.....of the owner of the penis. If it's not a personal choice to cut off a girl's foreskin (her prepuce, aka her clitoral hood) it shouldn't be a personal choice to cut off a boy's foreskin either.

Even if circumcision were completely pain-free during and after the surgery, the fact remains that you're removing the most sensitive part of the penis from a baby who has not consented to have his body permanently altered. Given that no medical organization in the world recommend routine infant circumcision, and the AAP calls it non-therapeutic (i.e. cosmetic), it doesn't matter whether it's painless or agonizing -- it's not ethical for a parent to have cosmetic surgery done on her baby's penis to suit her personal preferences.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
It is a personal choice.....of the owner of the penis. If it's not a personal choice to cut off a girl's foreskin (her prepuce, aka her clitoral hood) it shouldn't be a personal choice to cut off a boy's foreskin either.

Even if circumcision were completely pain-free during and after the surgery, the fact remains that you're removing the most sensitive part of the penis from a baby who has not consented to have his body permanently altered. Given that no medical organization in the world recommend routine infant circumcision, and the AAP calls it non-therapeutic (i.e. cosmetic), it doesn't matter whether it's painless or agonizing -- it's not ethical for a parent to have cosmetic surgery done on her baby's penis to suit her personal preferences.
: Pretty much what I was going to say, except said much better

love and peace.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
What about having an exposed wound in the diaper afterwards? Do you keep your baby on a morphine drip for 2 weeks?!?!?

Also, didn't i read somewhere that a certain percentage of babies will die from the anesthetic?

·
Registered
326 Posts
As far as the personal choice thing, respond with something like "Well, if it were really a personal choice, the baby would have some say in it. It is really a parental choice; a parental choice for sexual cosmetic surgery on a newborn."

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Quote:

Yep.

What I was going to say as well, thank you.

Even if it were a completely painless, bloodless, riskless surgery - you are still completely removing a healthy body part without the owners permission - for NO reasons.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Quote:

I really don't think that it could have been said better.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
There's also the pain afterward. This is a surgery the kid is recovering from. Nope, no escaping pain, unless you don't do it.
Exactly. Where as adult males can ask for and receive pain relief (ibuprofen, codeine), these infants have to LIVE WITH THE PAIN until the pain subsides, which is almost as cruel as the act of negatively, permanently mutilating a person's genitals without their consent.

Also, the penis of an infant or baby boy is very small and therefore easier to make mistakes with clumsy clamping devices and even "free-hand method" isn't accurate, since it doesn't take into account the "play" needed (remaining loose skin) for him when he's an adult male and gets an erection. When they give all baby boys a "loose circ", you're guessing and hoping it will turn out in his favour! "YOU'RE GUESSING??!! Should you be taking this risk in the first place?!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.