Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a client last week with an OP military presentation! Considering that we didn't even know the baby was OP it was quite a shock to see her crown!

The mom is a multip with previous precipitous labors; we expected her to sneeze the baby out. After 2 hours of pushing (birth stool, squat, using the dog toy to pull finally did it) we knew something was up. This mom (a doula) is my new hero! She pushed like some kind of olympic birther, I swear.

My preceptor and I were kind of beating ourselves up for not recognizing all of the many signs of posterior presentation but now with perspective I think not knowing allowed us to truly believe she could do it. Had we known the baby was military and posterior I wonder if our preconceived notions would have taken over causing us doubt.

Seeing a baby come out posterior is amazing enough but seeing the face just come out, nearly forehead first, was incredible! Plus, she had moulding on her forehead!

Mom was perfect, baby stayed perfect the whole time. When you look up brow/military presentations in the OBGYN world it usually says a surgical birth is necessary. Pffft.

Oh, and the cord was super marginal, bordering on velamentous. Quite an educational night!

Anyone else get to experience interesting presentations?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
WOW! That is pretty darn cool! I've been at two posterior births. It really is neat to see a baby's face come out like that. It was something else to tell the mom "open your eyes and look down -- your baby is looking at you!" and to see them lock eyes with each other before she (the baby) was even all the way out. It was amazing.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My fifth was op and military, I pushed for 5 1/2 hours. He finally came out when my coccyx fractured.
he was also 9 1/2 pounds.
I remember reading in school about how op/military babies needed a surgical birth (and I wished it was an option for me when I was trying to push him out).
I have a friend midwife who caught a mentum-posterior face presentation.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I had a double footling breech a couple weeks ago. Did everything I was taught(mostly don't mess with the baby), and baby came right out with no problem....She weighed 9 lb 2 oz....mom stood to give birth.

·
Registered
510 Posts
At my first mw appt with this pg, we were talking about my last birth 3 yrs ago. I knew he was posterior and K. looked at my chart and said he was military too. I hadn't known that!

BTW, he was 11lbs8oz as well. I'm glad to find out it was his positioning and not necessarily his size that caused me to have to push over an hour (not a lot overall, but a lot for me when I usually push them out in a few minutes).

I saw a pic last week of a baby coming out face first...that was just a surreal picture!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
military and face go with op
they fit through the pelvis better in op position

a friend who was having her 4th called me and said take your time the mw said that the baby is face presentation and is probably just waiting for me to get tired enough to go to the hospital-- I said ok Ill be there in a bit and took a shower got dressed and by the time I got there I was too late for the birth but in time for the placenta

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.