Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have you/will you give your kids the HPV vaccine? I still have several years before I have to think about it but I'm just curious with the flood of HPV threads in the discussion forum. I don't know at this point what I'll do. I have all boys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a 4 year old boy and a 4 month old girl. I was personally too old for the vaccine so I have limited experience with it. I will likely give it, but I am glad I have time for the science to work out before I do it. I think that the HPV vaccine is the big talking point with vaccines right now, but I am not sure it won't end up being like the MMR in the end and found to be safe. I am glad they are looking into it.

So not really an answer, I will probably give it, but I am glad I have more time to decide.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure. I'm glad this forum isn't so all or nothing. I'm pro science so I look forward to seeing what comes of future studies. Also, if I had girls the risks/benefits might have been weighed differently.

Reactions: StepGirlfriend

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I have a long time before I have to decide on this as well and am also glad it will be a good almost 10 years of additional evidence before I have to make the decision.

If I had to make it tomorrow, however, I would go for the vaccine. I think @Dakotacakes is right that this is going to turn out to be a lot like the MMR.

When vaccines are administered to millions and millions of people a year, there are unfortunately going to be coincidences. It is a statistical certainty.

As I mentioned in another thread, I was diagnosed with POTS in high school. I first started showing symptoms right around when I would have received the vaccine had I gotten it. It is pretty common for the symptoms of POTS to start right around the teenage years and is much more prevalent in females than males.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No. I will not be. I have boys and they will be taught about std's and condoms. I know there's the possibility of getting oral HPV but, still. Nope. And if I were to ha e girls it would still be a no.

·
Registered
347 Posts
No. I will not be. I have boys and they will be taught about std's and condoms. I know there's the possibility of getting oral HPV but, still. Nope. And if I were to ha e girls it would still be a no.

Are you vaccinating on schedule otherwise?

Also just FYI but not only is there a possibility of oral HPV. Condoms do not protect against HPV the way they protect against other STDs. They help, but they don't provide adequate protection. That is why 80% of the sexually active population is infected with HPV, because even if they are using condoms and keeping rates of other STDs low, they can still contract and spread HPV.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
We're probably closer than most of you to this decision - and I'm not going to lie, I'm pleased we still have a few years. But I think I would also choose to follow the recommendation if it were coming up this year. Passions seem to run high on this one, and I am concerned/suspicious that the link to sexual transmission may explain some of the vitriol against this vaccine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We're probably closer than most of you to this decision - and I'm not going to lie, I'm pleased we still have a few years. But I think I would also choose to follow the recommendation if it were coming up this year. Passions seem to run high on this one, and I am concerned/suspicious that the link to sexual transmission may explain some of the vitriol against this vaccine.
I'm a few years away yet (my oldest is seven) but I will almost certainly be getting it for my boys and my daughter.

Here's a good link to a study RE its safety

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23224305

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else find it ironic when there's an ad from the CDC promoting the HPV vaccine on the vaccine forum?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I will more than likely be doing the HPV vaccine when it comes time. I did not receive the vaccine and when I was 23 I found out that I have a type of HPV that can cause cancer. It is not the genital warts strain. I had to have my cervix frozen. The doctor I went to did it pro bono because he said I was so young and I basically didn't have any insurance or anything to help with the cost. To this day, I always have abnormal paps and I go in every 6 months to a year to make sure nothing is getting crazy. I've only had 3 sexual partners and, at the time of the initial finding of HPV, I was very strict about using protection. It's not cancer now and because I have been very pointed about my medical health care, I don't think it will go that route any time soon. However, because of this, I am unable to donate eggs (I have a long time friend who talked about this and we both were pretty devastated to find out this was no longer an option). I am now about 7 weeks pregnant and, even though I have heard many women who have their cervix frozen have perfectly normal pregnancies and natural deliveries, I can't help but worry for myself because when they were doing the procedure, they told me that it may weaken my cervix to the point where I would not be able to carry a child to term. So. This is just my personal experience and I am very pro-science and look forward to progress in the future but, if I had to decide tomorrow, I would.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Mother of two sons in their 20's here. We're in the U.S. where it wasn't recommended for males until they were already adults. Both decided on the vaccine, had the full course, neither has reported any problems to date.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yes, my son will get the HPV vaccine. It's not just about protecting him, it's about protecting others. If he doesn't have the virus, he can't pass it on.

What's the issue with the vaccine?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Anyone else find it ironic when there's an ad from the CDC promoting the HPV vaccine on the vaccine forum?
Might be smart ads picking up the content of the page. MDC claims to be neutral to vaccination viewpoints and simply support choice. The history does not support that, but perhaps things have changed.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
So have you/will you give your kids the HPV vaccine? I still have several years before I have to think about it but I'm just curious with the flood of HPV threads in the discussion forum. I don't know at this point what I'll do. I have all boys.
Well, I think it is not a nice idea.
Care to elaborate on that?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm a few years away yet (my oldest is seven) but I will almost certainly be getting it for my boys and my daughter.

Here's a good link to a study RE its safety

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23224305
Thanks for this. Just got around to reading this. My daughter is soon to be 9 so I think this will feel like it comes up soon.

Right now I've seen no convincing evidence that there's any real danger. That said I might be inclined to take my daughter to get this myself, rather than letting her do it in a big group at school.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
This was posted on the main Vaccination board, and it looks like an extremely comprehensive safety study of HPV. I find this very reassuring: http://journals.lww.com/pidj/Fullte..._of_Quadrivalent_Human_Papillomavirus.17.aspx

Here's the abstract. Some good stuff there:

Background: A quadrivalent human papillomavirus (HPV4) type 6/11/16/18 vaccine (GARDASIL/SILGARD®) has been licensed in many countries around the world for the prevention of cervical, vulvar, vaginal, and anal cancers and precancers, as well as external genital warts causally related to HPV types 6/11/16/18. Across 7 phase 3 clinical trials involving more than 29,000 males and females ages 9–45 years, vaccination was generally well tolerated. Because of its expected public health benefit in reducing cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases, the vaccine has been implemented in the national vaccination programs of several countries, with over 178 million doses distributed worldwide.

Methods: Extensive efforts to assess the safety of the vaccine in routine practice have been conducted over the past 9 years since licensure, including more than 15 studies in more than 1 million preadolescents, adolescents and adults from various countries. Most have been performed in the general population although there have been some in special populations (pregnant women, HIV-infected individuals and those with systemic lupus erythematosus).

Results: We present a summary of the published, postlicensure safety data from active and passive surveillance. Only syncope, and possibly skin infections were associated with vaccination in the postlicensure setting. Serious adverse events, such as adverse pregnancy outcomes, autoimmune diseases (including Guillain–Barre Syndrome and multiple sclerosis), anaphylaxis, venous thromboembolism and stroke, were extensively studied, and no increase in the incidence of these events was found compared with background rates.

Conclusions: These results, along with the safety data from the prelicensure clinical trials, confirm that the HPV4 vaccine has a favorable safety profile. Key policy, medical and regulatory organizations around the world have independently reviewed these data and continue to recommend routine HPV vaccination.

Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
5,075 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
News from just the last few days.

From today on BBC: http://www.bbc.com/sport/rowing/35714773

"Australian rower Sarah Tait, who won silver at the London Olympics in 2012, has died aged 33.

Tait, who picked up a medal alongside Kate Hornsey in the women's pair, was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2013.

Australian Rowing head coach Chris O'Brien said: "Sarah has been, and will continue to be, an inspiration to many Australian rowers.

Tait and Hornsey finished behind Great Britain's Heather Stanning and Helen Glover in the 2012 pairs final, which was GB's first gold of London 2012.

"To achieve so much in her too short life - two beautiful children, a husband, an Olympic silver medal, the list goes on.

"Above all that, she was an inspirational and truly lovely person that has paved the way for women in sport at home in Australia and all over the world."
From CNN yesterday: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/01/entertainment/joey-feek-terminal-cancer/index.html

"She wanted to live long enough to see her daughter's 2nd birthday. And she did.

But Joey Feek, one-half of the country duo Joey + Rory, has only has a few more days to live, her husband Rory Feek wrote.

In 2014, the couple welcomed their daughter Indiana -- named after Joey Feek's home state.

A few months later, the couple learned Joey Feek had cervical cancer. Despite intensive treatments and surgery, the cancer spread to her colon and became terminal.

In November, the couple decided to end treatments for Joey's stage 4 cancer. Her doctors told her there was nothing more they could do for her. Joey Feek was moved to hospice care in Indiana."
The article is very sad. She and her husband were so confident she was going to beat the cancer, but she is going to die any day now. They were both less than 40 years old when diagnosed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts