Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have to get some more of their merino, last I asked them they havent even placed an order for the worsted weight because they are working on getting more of a different type at the moment. grr! I can find this yarn other places but pay nearly twice the amount for 1 skein. Its killing me here!

Has anyone used any of these:

Thin/thick bulky wool

Handspun Bulky Wool

Pure Merino Wool Bulky Six ply

How did they work, would any of htem work for summer shorts? And about how many skeins to make a size medium, 18" rise, 18" waist, 1" inseam. And are the they as soft as the merino (they being the two that aren't labeled merino)

I need help! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have knit with the bulky merino and the handspun bulky and the merino is definitely the bomb! Super soft just like the worsted except there is no variation in thickness, I actually like the bulky better although they knit up about the same. The handspun is not as soft as the merino but still *way* softer than any other wool I've felt, it's just once you've had the merino it's hard to go back ykwim? Either one you wouldn't need more than one skein for the size shorts you're looking at. I've seen the thick thin but not knit with it myself and I would think it wouldn't be all that ideal for soakers because the thin parts can be very thin... I have longies and capris for my dd in the bulky and I love them, would definitely work for shorts too, the bulky is maybe slightly more substantial than the worsted merino. Hth

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had emailed HPY before this post, but hadnt heard back from them. So I posted here.

Here is the response I got from them today, for others who may be interested but haven't used the yarns:

Quote:
The yardage and gauge of the Thick and Thin bulky wool are the same as our Handspun. In fact, you can barely tell the difference between them. The Thick and Thin bulky wool is very similar to the handspun but it is made with the assistance of a machine. In fact, is quite softer than our handspun.

If what you are knitting is meant to a little kid I suggest the merino bulky 6 plies because it's very soft and not heavy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts