Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone homeschooling an only child?

DD will more than likely be an only child or if she has a sibling it will be when she is much older. We are thinking about homeschooling her for at least for Kindergarden if not longer but I am not sure if its a good idea since she is an only child. I worry that since she doesn't have any siblings that homeschooling her will limit her skills to socialize with others.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
We are homeschooling an only dd as well. We started homeschooling for her kindergarten year. We joined an active homeschool group and between their activities, her dance, gymanastics, art classes, old pre-school friends, and neighborhood friends, I don't think she is missing out at all. She does have days with only adults, but she seems to really enjoy those as well. We'll be starting our 3rd year of homeschooling and I get comments all the time about how friendly and easy to get along with my dd is, so I don't think it has hurt her! She gets plenty of birthday party invites and sleepovers. When we talk with her about whether or not she would like to continue homeschooling, her response is 'homeschooling! so I have more time with my friends!'

My group has 3 or 4 other moms with only's and they all seem fine as well.
You might have to make a bit more effort in the beginning to hook up with friends but after that things seem to go along pretty easily. If it doesn't work out it's not like it is a permanent decision, she could go back for first.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
My ds is an only . His social skills are great (when he isn't tired) even though we never did much in the way of playdates. We got out and about a lot when he was a toddler. Since turning 4 last summer, he is more interested in playing with other kids. This spring, I ramped up my efforts to find hs groups that have parkdays so that ds can see the same group of kids when we go to the playground. But that is so he can develop deeper friendships rather than social skills.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
My dd (6) is an only child and has never been in school.
She is a more introverted child and I think homeschooling is allowing her to become more socially confident than if she were in a school setting. She communicates very well with adults and gets along okay with other children.
We have not found a homeschool group near us yet. As she gets older, there are more opportunities for classes, clubs, sports.

It depends on your child's personality how much socializing they really need. Many would argue that social skills are not best learned from peers so don't discount the time your child spends with adults or older children. Some might say that homeschooling one child gives an advantage because of the smaller teacher-to-student ratio.

There is a book calledHomeschooling Only One by Donna Conner.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Homeschooled (unschooled) ElderSon through age 12 or so. Many of his friends were adults - common interests, not age, were the main basis for friendship. When he started school (his choice) he was way more mature than his classmates. He often came home shaking his head or rolling his eyes at the strange things kids do. I guess this set him apart from his peers, but I don't see that the lowest common denominator should be the goal, if you know what I mean. As an adult, he still has trouble sometimes understanding why his peers act so irresponsibly. I think his high expectations of himself and his friends are the products of his early experiences, and I am pleased with the results. He is competant, confident, charming, and extremely responsible. I don't think he missed out on anything important, socially or intellectually, by bypassing the playground politics.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
We have an always homeschooled only and it has been great. You can always meet other folks, have playdates, being in groups or whatever. There are lots of chances to be with others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts