Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6-year old is soon starting kindergarten!
She LOVES to do crafts, and thrives on creativity. I don't do so well at it. I am an artist and craftsperson, but when it comes to child-appropriate crafts I am lost!
Any suggestions for links and books (with lots of pictures) that will help us make our homeschooling journey very messy and creative?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lila,
This is by no means a craft book, but the information in Young at Art by Susan Striker may be of some use. It is geared towards toddlers, but it has an easy way to guide children through some basic art instruction that she says is useful even for kindergarteners. An example would be that letting your child paint with one color at a time, starting with black, and then working on combining them. The parent really does no more than providing the materials and letting the child explore. I think her color sequencing information is excellent.

Best wishes,
Sue

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
We LOVE Family Fun's Boredom Busters book. We checked it out from our library several times before finally just buying it. Their website has craft ideas too:
www.familyfun.go.com

·
Registered
529 Posts
Other than media that requires the precise use of sharp implements, caustic chemicals or fire, it's all child appropriate, if you don't cringe at the thought of a mess.

I'm sure there are lots of book on the subject and lots of links out there, but I'll throw out a few suggestions that we've enjoyed or have on our to-do list - the how-to info is out there for the googling.
  • use liquid RIT dye in squirt bottles and dye t-shirts or whaever you like (I don't suggest good acid dyes for this because of the caustic chemicals)
  • use your dryer lint to make a lint-mache model of a butterfly or ant or whatever (we made a butterfly while we were learning about them)
  • use glass or ceramic (already glazed) paints to decorate cups/glasses/window hangings
  • make your own playdough, colored with Kool-aid
  • make homemade paper with junk mail and food dyes
  • learn to knit, crochet, felt, embroider
  • cut up magazines and make collages
  • procure a large box, break out the tempra and decorate it as a rocket/car/playhouse/whatever she envisions
  • use light-sensitive fabric and found objects of interesting shapes to "sun-print"
  • make masks or stick puppets of characters from a story, either printing and cutting available coloring pages or hand-drawing them, if you have the ability
oh, there are so many things to do... so little time. And she's at such a magical age for getting into so many things!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I am in no way crafty or creative but a friend got me the Little Hands Art Book and it's perfect. It's full of crafty ideas for kids, and almost all are made from everyday household items. There are several books in the Little Hands series with various crafty/artsy things.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I always make craft fit in with my theme. Were doing an Letter A apple theme at the moment and we have 'body' painted an apple tree. The trunk is an arm print, leaves hands and apples finger tips. Then we made some stain glassed apples. I found a large apple print out and cut it out, then cut out the middle leaving a border. Then dd glued pieces of red, green and yellow tissue paper on wax paper. Now we just have to glue them into our apple frames. I always try to have enough spare for dd to freely play around with too. So after painting the apple tree dd wanted to print some antlers and do a dino foot printing using a plastic dino. When we did the stain glass apples dd also made a 'map'

I simply find my craft free off the net. I find having a theme gives me a point of refrence and something to look up. I simply Googled 'apple craft' then saved those I liked into a Word document.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
My ds likes building things with popsicle sticks and galactic glue (glitter gel glue by Elmers).

Your dd is probably a good age for using yarn, a tapestry needle, and that plastic mesh stuff to do needlework. You can also cut out shapes and sew them together to make boxes and things.

Simple weaving would be age appropriate. Either those loop kits for making potholders or you could make your own weaving frame (just wrapping yarn around a box lid with notches cut along the edges to keep the yarn warp from sliding around, then dd can weave back and forth with colors of her choice using yarn strips of fabric or ribbon).

I think crochet and knitting work out better for kids a bit older, at least 7 or 8, unless the child is exceptionally interested.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lila
Any suggestions for links and books (with lots of pictures) that will help us make our homeschooling journey very messy and creative?

Take a look through the set of links underneath the box of articles on this page - you'll find lots of good sites with ideas for crafts - and even a site or two describing good picture books: preschool/kindergarten

Lillian

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
There are a couple ways I approach arts/crafts with my dd (she's almost 5).

First, I just let her experiment and work with different supplies however she wants. She always amazes me with what she comes up with on her own.

Next, I use google a lot. I'll just search for something like "preschool apple crafts" or even a more broad "apple craft". I always get lots of good ideas this way.

I like www.enchantedlearning.com they have lots of good ideas. You have to pay for some but I never do. I just look at the ideas and make up something similar for us to do.

HTH!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not creative with ideas so I get kits from Michaels or JoAnns. My DD is 6 and I got her the foamies kits to make flower necklaces. My DS is 11 and I got each kid their own knitting looms. Both kids also do the paint by numbers. If I have to come up with the idea myself, it's home made play dough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts