Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>How easy is it to homeschool in WA state? We are planning on homeschooling, but may be relocating to WA. I wanted to have an idea of what to expect. Thanks!</p>
<div id="user_myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>
<div style="display:none;"> </div>
<div style="display:none;"> </div>

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
<p>WA is crawling with homeschoolers and the requirements are laughably easy.  My oldest still is not old enough to officially declare (at age 8!!) so I have yet to do anything official.  At age 8 you have to "declare" your child as a homeschooler (every year) and need to have a test or evaluation done by each September, but the results are only for your use.  As a parent you are "required" to keep records and to keep your child at grade level or take steps to bring them to that place.  But again, no one is looking at your child's information or reporting it to the school district.  Parents are required to have 45 college credits, or complete a "qualifying course", or have a letter from the superintendent, or work with a qualified teacher in order to homeschool.  But again, you don't report that info to the school district (unless you are working with a teacher).  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Most of the requirements here seem mostly in place to cover the state's ass than to keep homeschoolers in line with the schooling population.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The great thing about homeschooling here is that just about no matter what kind of homeschooler you are-- religious, secular, school-at-home, eclectic, relaxed, unschooling-- there are many folks almost everywhere doing the same and you will find ample resources in general, though some areas more than others.  And the state, as a whole, is very homeschooling friendly.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Welcome!!</p>

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks so much for all the info!</p>

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
<p>The Washington Homeschool Organization website has all the requirements listed online and what they mean for you.  It's a good place to start.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Seriously, with the lax homeschooling laws, the resources available and the sheer number of homeschoolers (in general) I doubt there could be a much better place to homeschool.  It is a very accepting place, at least as far as I have experienced.</p>

Reactions: treegardner

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
<p>We are in WA state, and it is super easy.  I declare at the beginning of the year, test when I feel like it (though there is a test-free option), and do what I want.  My school district sends us a letter each year inviting my kids to test at the local school.  We have done that once.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Amy</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts