Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
HUH? HSLDA is made up of religious zealots

personally I think it's great, I hope it makes more people see the light as to the real purpose of this organization.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arduinna
HUH? HSLDA is made up of religious zealots

personally I think it's great, I hope it makes more people see the light as to the real purpose of this organization.
ITA with both statements.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Quote:
May God show us and our children in the years ahead how we can use His formula for blessing to bring about a widespread return to God's principles in our nation.
HSLDA

If you read through their website HSLDA has always promoted Godly principles along with perserving parents rights, and the freedom to homeschool in this country. I too think christian parents should think twice before they send their children to government schools to be indoctrinated with a worldview.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
SQ, to use a common analogy I wouldn't eat some wonderfully prepared gourmet dinner if it had chunks of dog crap in it.

Even if HSLDA is 90% good the 10% crap they're promoting (whipping babies and small children) negates any good.

Not only that they SHAME THE GOSPEL by misrepresenting Jesus' teachings and the Scriptures.

Debra Baker

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
As an ex-christian, I consider myself somewhat familiar with the idea of 'sin', but fail to see how sending your kids to public school equates or is worse than adultery or drugs. I mean, I think public schools are bad, and as a pagan, my views on the other may differ, but as I recall from an earlier time in my life, drugs and adultery would be seen as much worse by a level-headed christian. Am I wrong? (not that I'm accusing the people in the article of being level-headed! :) )

·
Registered
973 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't eat some wonderfully prepared gourmet dinner if it had chunks of dog crap in it.
I'm going to have to remember this one!!

I agree, any organization that will twist the bible to make it acceptable and common place to whip/spank/train babies and children. I just can't picture Jesus walking around whacking little children for one thing!
I think the article just shows that they are religious zealots and hopefully when/if people make the choice to homeschool they will stay FAR away from them!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm a Christian and I homeschool, but I also can't see the connection they're making here. Sending your kids to public school isn't a sin---it's a choice. And for some families, it's the best choice. Why can't we just choose what works for our families and get validated? I'm pretty sick of right wing fanatics being the 'face of homeschooling' anyway. Sick of them being the 'face of Christianity' too. Sick, sick, sick :puke

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Db, have you ever read a magazine that advertised items you don't like. I have. If I read a magazine that advertise a product doesn't not mean that I approve of that product because I subscribe to a magazine with the product in it. That is the logic you are using when you say that HSLDA promotes "whipping babies". I don't personally know anybody who whips babies. That is just inflamatory exageration of something you don't agree with. I looked through the HSLDA site to see if I could find a statement that says we ought to be whipping babies.
Couldn't find one.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
SQ, they not only will not use their influence to stop that ad but I believe they are pro corporal punishment and (I believe) have "defended" parents' rights to beat their children.

DB

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
SQ, you might not say "whip" but perhaps sanatize it by "thump on the thigh" or "slap hands" or "take a little switch....." but substitute "whip" and you see what I mean.

Yes, I know people who advocate and practice using negative physical force on babies. I suspect you do as well.

DB

·
Registered
271 Posts
What really ticks me off is that these people give me (and others like me) a bad name.
Not everyone homeschools for religious reasons. Not everyone teaches their children that 1 + 1=2 and then gives them the Bible verse to back it up.

But here's my question, and it is all based on my personal experience, I am not in any way implying that all Christians are in these camps.....(had to clarify so I don't get a bunch of "Well I'm Christian and don't do that"s...)

I've met just as many Christians who think sending children into public school is a sin as Christians who think NOT sending children into public schools is a sin. Either it's a sin to subject them to the public school mentality or it's a sin to deny them the ability to go out and "witness" to the heathens sitting in the desk next to them.

Which is it, folks? And while you're figuring it out, can you politely allow my to homeschool MY children in the way I see fit and appropriate, and for the reasons MY family thinks are important?

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like your last two questions !!

The first i can't answer and the second for myself I would say yes despite others disagreeing

another thing that bothered me about this is that it doesn't talk about TRUE benefits for the kids ...

I wish there were more DebraBakers around to counteract these people
of whom I had my own dealings with and can say NEVER EVER again

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Quote:
Which is it, folks? And while you're figuring it out, can you politely allow my to homeschool MY children in the way I see fit and appropriate, and for the reasons MY family thinks are important?
I don't think it is a "sin" to send your child to public school. I think the best enviroment educationally, spiritually, and emotionally is the family setting. As a christian, I don't want my dc to be indoctrinated with the worldview that government schools provide. THat said grnbn , I stand behind you 100% to homeschool your child if that is what you want for dc. I believe we should always protect the parents right to decide what is best for their child whether it concerns their health, education, or anything else.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Personally I think it should be up to individual families.

I homeschooled my children for ten years. I support homeschoolers.

To be honest I see strengths and weaknesses in either of the three choices (homeschool, private school, and public school) I will share my concerns about homeschooling if you wish but I don't really think it's relevant to the discussion.

I have my children in public school (actually one is technically in a private school) because I don't currently have a vision to homeschool my children. Our public schools are wonderful and my children have received a better education than I could provide at home.

My personal red flags go up when I read about people who think *all* parents *should* homeschool and sending a child into public school is "sin".

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I went to a church like that and all the people followed the pastors' teaching like a bunch of lemmings (whether they had a vision to homeschool.) Oh, the guilt, the shame!!! Let me tell you, you need a clear vision to do a good job homeschooling and I take issue with some man telling me if I don't homeschool I'm in sin (and note it's men telling *women* they're sinning if they don't and it's almost always the women who do the day in and day out of homeschooling)

Debra Baker

1 - 20 of 37 Posts