Mothering Forum banner

Hsptl birth misc. questions

525 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  mamabeth 
#1 ·
For those who had hospital births I was wondering:

Do you take home those absorbant pads they use on the bed? Not the dispoable blue chux(but I take those for my diaper bag..hehe)..the washable thick ones.

Also do you take baby with you to the bathroom? I don't let the baby go back to nursery after initial checkup and I'm gonna see if we can avoid that this time around. Anyhoo I wheel the bassinette into the bathroom with me every time, sometimes I feel like I really don't have to do that, but I don't think you can ever be too sure.

#2 ·
I was very temped to take the waterproof pad, and wish I had now, it would be a lot easier to prepare for the birth that way! I could just put that under my sheet...ugh, anyway. But yes, I did take some chux pads. And now I usually take a few, not from my clients room, but from another room after a birth. (This way my client isn't charged)

And when I was alone after ds was born, I did take him into the bathroom with me, which happend twice. He was our first, and we got a semi-private room with no room mate, so dh got the other bed, and stayed with us. He went home to get movies and his play station once, and then walked some visitors out. That's when I took ds to the bathroom. I was too nervous that a nurse would take him away if I left him alone like that.

#4 ·
For your bathroom needs, I would make sure that someone is with the baby--either with you in the bathroom, with someone you know, or (as was an option in the hospital I was) with a nurse who just waits in the room until you're done. But the recovery floor was pretty empty when I was there, and the hospital strongly encourages rooming in, so the nurses were happy to do that.

In any case, I wouldn't leave the baby in the hospital room alone. I wouldn't be so worried about abduction by a stranger, but I wouldn't want to be scolded or labeled a bad mom by hospital staff.

#6 ·
Yes, the baby goes with you in the bathroom.

No, the washable pads do not go home with you.

I bought some from these lovely underpad sellers. They're used, ('reclaimed') but then, so are all of your hospital linens. I got 4 very big 'best quality' or something, for about $27 with the shipping. I'm using them for 'what if my water breaks in bed', as well as the birth, nursing/diaper leaks, and all those lovely bodily-fluid related things that motherhood brings. I was pretty pleased with the pads they sent...they'd be great for older kids that are learning to stay dry at night.

I'm having a homebirth, but I'd still love to snag one of those rolling basinette/carts, just to keep diapers, water, and breastpads in.
Somebody should make one. Maybe I'll have to look at IKEA for something handy like that. A little hamper/trash can on the side, and room for the phone & snacks. Hmmm...maybe I'll invent something...in my spare time. (Hah!)

#7 ·
Didn't even think to take the washable pad home with me. And I don't think I was ever really alone in the hospital to have to worry about taking ds into the bathroom. Dh, my parents, his parents and his grandparents were all there waiting to take turns seeing the baby after he was born (dh was there the whole time). Ugh! This time I'm hoping for a faster labor and not so many people around right away. Dh's parents drove 5 hours to get here last time after I told dh not to call them. Sorry to get off the subject and ramble on...

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UmmIbadullah
Do you take home those absorbant pads they use on the bed? Not the dispoable blue chux(but I take those for my diaper bag..hehe)..the washable thick ones.
No, I didn't take that home. I actually never thought of it! :LOL But, we did clean them out of everything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmmIbadullah
Also do you take baby with you to the bathroom? I don't let the baby go back to nursery after initial checkup and I'm gonna see if we can avoid that this time around. Anyhoo I wheel the bassinette into the bathroom with me every time, sometimes I feel like I really don't have to do that, but I don't think you can ever be too sure.
Yes, I did take him in the bathroom at all times. I had a single room but I never trusted for a second that he'd be okay for just a couple seconds. Apparently they have this new armband system that mother and baby both wear and it is scanned each time the nurse comes in to check you. There is a chip in the baby's band which would set off an alarm as soon as it hits the doors.

#9 ·
(Simply Mama):No, the washable pads do not go home with you.
---- Why exactly don't these come home with you? LOL. Honestly I would have never thought to take them myself, but my mother, the nurse, took everything she thought I'd need at home, some chux, 2 of the waterproof pads, and as many disposables as they put in the bassinette.

(HoosierDiaperinMama): But, we did clean them out of everything else.
----put me down for the disposables, that's about the only thing I'd ask the nurses for.

Yes, I did take him in the bathroom at all times. I had a single room but I never trusted for a second that he'd be okay for just a couple seconds.
------I didn't trust leaving baby alone either for safety precautions, both of my babies' ankle bands kept falling off so I don't trust those things. I didn't trust the nurses not to give him formula or sneak in a vax if I sent him to the nursery.

Thanks for the replies, glad to know I'm not the only one

#10 ·
The nurses told me that when they first put the maternity ward in for a couple of months the alarms would go off and the would have to put the whole hospital on lock down thinking someone had stolen a baby. But all of the babies would always be there. They finally found out that the bathroom in my room was not included in the alarm perimeter so when moms took their babies into the bathroom the alarm would go off. So on the rare occasion DH was gone or sleeping I wheeled dd up to the door and peed with the door wide open while leaning completely sidewards to keep her in my line of vision. Its nice to know I won't have to do that at home.

#11 ·
Gosh, I didn't think about this but maybe I should be more careful this time...I think what I did was close the room door, but leave the bathroom door open while I peed with the baby just around the corner in the bassinet. The bathroom was right as you came in the door so I would have seen anyone. But it was only an issue in the middle of the night so I wasn't expecting any visitors except nurses/techs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.