Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last week at my ds's 9 month well baby his hemaglobin was low. I'm not surprised, I've not done any pushing with solids, although he enjoys his fruits and veggies. In the past he has been easily constipated so I've never given him the iron fortified cereals and such. I was reading a list of iron rich foods and not garbonzo beans were high on the list. Anyone give these to thier baby? How about hummus. It's just mashed up garbonzos right? Does it need to be bland or can he eat my tomato/basil hummus?<br><br>
Anyone have other suggestions for iron righ foods for him? I've never given him any meat although I guess that is a possibility too.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Check out the book The Vegetarian baby for good advice about nutrients in the vegitarian diet.<br><br>
Otherwise, you can try liquid chloropyll, a friend of mine had great results with it. And you CAN give him meat, just make sure it's mushed up really good. Beans in general are a great food to introduce, now, mine always liked the texture and that they could pick them up on their own.<br><br>
other than that how are YOUR iron levels? Are you getting enough?

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Prepared hummus has lemon juice in it. Citrus is not recced for babies less than one yr. Nor are tomatoes recced.<br><br>
Here is a good link.<br><br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/iron.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/iron.html</a><br><br>
Use food list below with caution, in case baby is too young or allergic to any of the foods. Babies lack essential enzymes to digest grains fully until age 18 mos.<br><br>
As far as iron supplements for bfed go, many moms like Floradix.<br><br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Foods that are high in iron include:<br><br>
breastmilk<br>
dried beans (lima, lentils, kidney)<br>
winter squash<br>
sweet potatoes<br>
mushrooms<br>
sea vegetables (arame), algaes (spirulina), kelp, dulse<br>
meat & poultry (beef, beef & chicken liver, pork, turkey, chicken)<br>
greens (spinach, chard, dandelion, beet, nettle, parsley, watercress, chickweed, comfrey)<br>
tomato (not for babies under one yr)<br>
yellow dock root<br>
egg yolks<br>
dried fruit (figs, apricots, prunes, raisins)<br>
prune juice<br>
tofu<br>
chili con carne with beans<br>
grains (cooked cracked wheat, cornmeal, millet, brown rice, farina, bran, amaranth, quinoa, breads)<br>
blackstrap molasses (try adding a little to cereal or rice)<br>
brewer's yeast<br>
shellfish (clams, oysters, shrimp)<br>
tuna, sardines</td>
</tr></table></div>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts