Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally convinced dh and the kids that hummus is yummy. It's killing me to have dh spend $5 on a little container, though, knowing it's about 75 cents worth of ingredients.

My question--can you freeze hummus? Does the texture change?

I'd like to cook up a few bags of chick peas at once, since they take so long to cook, and then make the hummus and freeze in the $5 containers!

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Yes, you can freeze hummus. The texture doesn't change that much (but then again, I'm not that picky
).

Another option is to cook up the bag of chickpeas/garbanzos, then freeze the cooked beans. Defrost the beans and make hummus as usual.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey -

I make my own hummous with an old steel grinder (garbanzos, tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, sometimes some paprika and cumin) and then I freeze it, and it seems fine. Sometimes I have to add a shot of this or that if it's too dry when it defrosts, but I think it's worth it. We were spending a fortune on the store-bought stuff....and it's so easy to roast a red pepper or whatever you have on hand and toss it in for a change of pace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.