Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is 4 months. He eats every 1-2 hours day and night. I am thinking of starting solids at 5 months if he cant be satisfied by me. I know he is getting enough. He has plenty of wet and poopy diapers and is growing like a weed. He is very tall and on the leaner side. I am just so exhausted, hungry, and touched out. He is a very active boy. Always wants to stand and bounce on his legs. Rarely cuddles and doesnt sleep for long stretches, although he did sleep well at one point.

Is starting solids in another month a bad idea? I just feel it would give me a little longer break between feeds.

I dunno, maybe I need a pep talk.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
He might be having a growth spurt. There is one around the 4 month mark. I personally feel that solids before 6mo is too early (I realise that not everyone agrees) and that the gut needs that time to mature. Starting solids does not necessarily increase the amount of sleep or the length of time between feeds either.

Is he getting distracted and ending feeds prematurely? I found that age was tricky because they were alert enough to want to look around but not mature enough to look and feed. Are you able to do some feeds in a quiet, dark place to reduce distraction?

Are you able to feed in a carrier so you can do something else while feeding?

Can someone else take him for a walk or wear him between feeds for you sometimes so you can have some body space?

The first few months are intense. There's a good chance he'll start to come out of it soon though and start exploring the idea that he is a separate being from you :) Hang in there. This too shall pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nemi27 and SandiMae

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A semi good night sleep and I feel much better. He woke about every 2.5 hours last night which was at least long enough to get me a complete sleep cycle here and there. I will hold off on solids for now.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
No expert, but maybe others can chime in on this: Is it possible he's getting more foremilk than hind milk and not getting satiated?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No expert, but maybe others can chime in on this: Is it possible he's getting more foremilk than hind milk and not getting satiated?
I dont think its that. He has been great up until recently, and his poops are very yellow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
He sounds like a normal 4 month old to me. Both of mine have nursed that frequently at that age. If I was lucky I'd get a 3-4 hour stretch at night. Some babies just take a long time to stretch out feeds.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hi, both the aap and WHO recommend exclusively breastfeeding for six months. The infant gut is not mature before then. Something to look up and think about. http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/solids.html

A dr will say it's okay to start solids at four months and you could show him the breastfeeding for six months info that many seem to forget about. Mainly it's due to formula fed babies start to need supplements around four months.

It sounds like a possible growth spurt. Is there a local LLL group or other breastfeeding group around that you could go to? Sometimes it helps to be around other moms who are going through the same thing.
Also, he could be having teeth come in, hitting a new milestone which also would cause him to nurse more. as babies get older and do more, some will nurse more at night if not enough during the day. Like a pp mentioned, make sure baby not distracted and ending nursing too soon, so common at that age.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There have been more studies recently to support waiting until 6 months to start solids (like this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/health/many-babies-fed-solid-food-too-soon-cdc-finds.html?_r=0 ), so I would suggest holding off until then. Even when you do start solids, it probably won't make a big difference (compared to what your baby would be doing if he were still EBF). The calorie content of milk is so much higher than that of what your baby will be eating, that solids really don't make a large dent in their needed intake until they are a good bit older.

It sounds like you're describing a classic 4 month growth spurt/sleep regression (http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/ and http://alphamom.com/parenting/baby/four-month-sleep-regression-survival-tips/ ). My son is just about to turn 5 months old and thankfully in the last week and a half he's gotten much closer to his earlier wakings (waking about 4 times a night rather than every couple hours). It's tough, I know! Just do what you can for everyone to get enough sleep (cosleeping was really helpful for us later in the night once I'd gone to bed). This stage will pass soon! Plus, as much fun as solids can be, it's also more work. They'll be eating for ages, so enjoy the time when you don't have to deal with the extra cleaning (of baby, clothes, and floor)!

Edited to add:
Try to also give him as much floor time as possible. He's getting close to the age of wanting to roll over, and a lot of time that has to do with the extra waking too. Lots of time on a quilt or playmat on the floor will allow him to stretch and get to know his body, and to figure out how to roll when he is ready. I am a big fan of trying not to put babies into positions that they can't get into themselves, so let him use his energy on his next milestone (rolling) rather than standing him up (something that he will not be ready to do for quite some time). http://www.janetlansbury.com/2009/12/dont-stand-me-up/

·
Registered
591 Posts
My babies are 3 months old, and I daydream of starting solids at 4 months - not serious, eat a meal solids, but taste a bit of food for fun. I did this with my last baby and purposely exposed her to as many allergens as possible (in micro doses) and she was completely allergy free unlike her older sister who was allergic to everything. Although I started solids at 4 months last time, I am predicting that one of my babies will be ready at 4 months this time and the other won't. One baby chokes a lot and has poorer neck control. So my take is that it depends on the baby...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is doing so much better. I think it was a growth spurt in combination with a sleep regression. He is back to sleeping 2-4 hour stretches at night and he is eating a little less often in the day. I feel human again. I will hold off on solids for now. Its tempting when you are desperate for solutions. When I do start I plan to introduce the major allergenic foods like wheat and eggs, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts