Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,<br><br>
i am just passing this along just in case any north alabama mamas happen to be here and see this. this is an interesting group of mamas and we talk about a variety of issues. children are welcome to come. most of us are stay at home mamas and some of us are also homeschooling mamas.<br><br>
enjoy!!!<br><br><br>
Birth Stories and More<br>
Every Third Wednesday<br><br>
11am – Noon<br><br>
Huntsville Main Library’s<br><br>
Auditorium<br><br>
915 Monroe Street<br><br><br><br>
Discussions Include:<br><br>
º pregnancy & breastfeeding health issues<br><br>
º birth stories<br><br>
º natural birth options<br><br>
º first 15 minutes with speaker, remaining for<br><br>
discussion<br><br><br><br>
2006 Upcoming Talks:<br><br><br>
March 15th<br><br>
How to minimize your Risk for a C-Section<br><br>
Tami Maloney, AAHCC - Affiliated Bradley® Instructor.<br><br>
Our state's rates are a terrible 31.9% in 2004 and the VBAC rate was 5.6%.<br><br><br><br>
April 19th<br><br>
Annual Sling for Spring!<br><br>
Show and learn how to wear your baby for convenience and bonding benefits.<br><br>
Various sling distributors (moms) will share their ware!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
256.337.3097 or<br><br><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> for inquiries

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello,<br><br>
I will soon be relocating from Miami, FL to **********, AL. I have recently found out that midwifery is illegal in Alabama, which brings me to tears!! I have one child, a 22 month old little girl, and am worried that when it comes time for baby #2 that I will be forced to have a hospital birth. I hope that there are options out there for women who want to avoid the hospital. I am crazy enough about having a natural birth that I would be willing to come back to Florida during the last month of pregnancy, just to give birth at the Miami Maternity Center, where I had my daughter.<br><br>
What advice do you have for me???<br><br>
MommyMo<br>
Visit my website: <a href="http://www.babydrawers.com" target="_blank">www.babydrawers.com</a>

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not a mom yet, but expecting #1 right now. If you are willing to travel anyway, check out Midwives in Tenn. I have heard of one who delivers babies in a home in Ardmore, TN (just over the state line). Or go to the Farm <a href="http://www.farmcatalog.com/birth.htm" target="_blank">http://www.farmcatalog.com/birth.htm</a> That is where we plan on going. There are birthing cabins and attendants and this is really first class care there. It's home of Ina May Gaskin (Spirtual Midwifery). We have yet to find out if our insurance will help defray costs, but we will do it anyway. They also have fairly cheap housing if you want to come early and stay.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
There are a few practicing midwifes here (in AL) if you want to do a homebirth. They will assist, but "technically" your husband (or whomever you designate- even yourself) is the one that "delivers" the baby. But, the midwife is right there in case something goes wrong. And the ones I have heard of offer in-home prenatal care. You don't see them nearly as often as you would on OBGYN- only about half as often.<br><br>
My husband's ex wife used one and they were very happy. I could get her name for you if you want. Just e-mail me. She was based out of Montgomery, I believe, but I did speak with her briefly when DH and I began ttc and she said that she would be willing to travel to ********** for the birth.<br><br>
As for myself, DH and I are planning an UP and UC in our home, here in **********. That's an option a lot of my friends have taken, since it is legal to have an unassisted homebirth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts