Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. We are moving to Huntsville this summer. My DH will be working in the Reaserch Park. We came out to see the area for a very quick visit. So I would love some input on great areas to live. Where do you all shop for organic food? Has anyone checked out any MOMs clubs? Are there any places like Gymboree Play and Music to bring my kids? I've noticed some listings for homes near McGucken Park, so I would love to hear what that area is like. Well, I could go on and on.

Thanks.
Jennifer

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't live in Huntsville.I live just outside Madison.When are you moving??I would love to meet another CD'n momma.Do you CD?Their is a really nice park in madison.It's called Dublin Park.I bet your kids would like it!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. We did visit Dublin Park, it was a great break from house hunting. How do you like Madison? We are also considering that area. I do CD and I would love to meet more APs.
We will be moving in the end of July. My DH is seperating from the Air Force so this is a big transition for us. I am looking forward to it though.

Jennifer
Milo 1-21-02
Hayden 6-14-04

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well i'm just outside Madison but i love Madison!!My only close friend lives in Madison also.I can't wait for you to move now.I'm excited to meet another CD'n momma.It's gonna be so great showing you around and stuff!!I can also recomend a great Pediatrician also!!It's really hard to meet people in this area.Seems like everyone is all wrapped up in their things!I guess some are kinda snobby KWIM!!Now i won't be the only CD"n momma i know.May i ask why you guys are moving here?Their are actually alot of military families her.With the Arsenal and all.I believe you had asked about the MOMs group.I haven't went yet but i get their monthly newsletter etc...I just haven't gotten the guts to go.Like i say some people here are kinda stuck up.I'm just a country bumkin from the sticks.Living in the burbs now.So i don't know how to handle it LOL!!I'm a very easy going person.So i'm sure i'd fit right in.I guess i'm just chicken LOL!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I definetly would not consider myself a country bumpkin. I am a Chicago native and we are currently living in the Boston area. DH is an engineer so Huntsville has huch to offer. So I am a bit overwhelmed with the idea of living in a small city. Though we did live just outside Little Rock, AR for a few years and with time we learned to love it there.

So is there anyone else who is use to a more urban environment that moved to Huntsville? How are you adjusting?

Jennifer

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have always haited living in the country but we don't get to choose were our parents raise us.I've always longed to live somewere big.Now i'm not saying we were like the beverly hill Billies LOL!!I've just never lived in a big city.It will be a huge adjustment for you though.Alot slower pace and all.I'm sure you will like it in time.Yes their is a large demand for Engineers here.My father-in-Law is a engineer for GE.Did you guys look in Hampton Cove?When looking for a house.Their are some gorgeous homes their.Along with the golf course etc...I have family over their.their are some really nice homes here in madison though!Well i hope you find someone here.That can relate to the changes and all.I'm sure their is someone who can help you adjust.If you need showing around or anything.Just let me know!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Jennifer,
I take my kids to McGucken park every now and then. It's at the bottom of Green Mountain and there is a great nature trail i take my kids on all the time up there. Sometimes if we decide to go into town, we'll come down the mountain and pick up pizza at "the Pizzeria" (finally huntsville has a good pizza place) and eat it at McGucken Park.
It's hard to say where the good neigborhood's are because there are a lot of them. I would recommend outside the city limits because i love the county. It's a little less expensive, but then Forbes ranked Huntsville one of the best places to live because of the cost of living being affordable.
I know my boss would recommend Hampton Cove. He lives there and he knows that's a good market area.
There are other mom's here at MDC that can give you much more info about where the coops are. but, the grocery stores all have organic sections.

Good luck in your hunt, and have a smooth move!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
p.s.

i moved here from metro Detroit 10 years ago. the only thing i wish this area had is a decent snow fall and a winter! but, i really love winter.
if your not crazy about winter, this is the place for you. You also won't have the traffic hassles like big city areas, even with all the contruction around here, it's still quick to get across town.
i guess it just depends on what you want in a city.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There is a LLL Group in Huntsville/Madison that is really active. Also,there is a play group that is a spin-off of LLL. You will also find a AP international group(I *think* they have play dates,too...someone who lives there might know better than me).

There are food co-ops here,as well as one CSA that I know you could buy from. Also,the local farmer's market usually has organic selections.

HTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am pleased to see there are more CD moms in HSV than I imagined. I purchased CDs to use on my 3 month old son, and plan to sew my own when he grows out of them.

In response to Jennifer (Mama2two), I consider Madison county to be geographically and culturally distinct in Alabama, and a lovely place to live. I have lived in very small towns and huge cities, and love it here. Plus, if after you arrive you find miss the urban centers, Atlanta is only a 2.5 hour drive, and Nashville and ********** are 90 minues away. Chattanooga and Memphis aren't far, either.

(And, we chose to move here after separating from the USAF.)

Like Kirstie, our family lives outside the city limits and we enjoy a speedy 20 minute commute to research park. As far as real estate goes, if you can articulate what you want, you shouldn't have much trouble finding it here, as there are many types of different neighborhoods.

J, good luck to you and your family during your move!

Beth

·
Registered
2 Posts
East of Huntsville over here, Scottsboro! My sis lives in Madison but feels it is too far out. It's not really she is just more accustomed to living "in the city". As far as organic stores, Garden Cove is fantastic! Yummy produce, nice selections of bulk grains and nuts and the staff is really quite helpful. I'm a cding mama and soon to be a cding aunt.

We get to H'ville/Madison almost always once a week. Would love to get together with some other cd moms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's great to hear from all of you. I can't believe we will be packing up our house in a few weeks. Huntsville has soooo many choices as far as homes it is a bit overwhelming. Right now we are considering SE and SW HSV. My DH found a great house in the Edgewater community. It won't have a mountain view but it seems like a nice neighborhood for small children.

Well I would love to hear more from everyone about living in HSV. Hope you all had a nice weekend.
Jennifer

·
Registered
255 Posts
Gosh i can't beleive how many CD'n moms from HSV i'm seeing here!!I'm the only one over on the pin.Me and Kirstie are trying to get together.It's exciting to know i'm not the only one in HSV are that CD's.I would love to meet some of you!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
hi,

i am in huntsville, too. i already know mama2two.

i live a little out of the city to the east, but still have a huntsville mailing address. i like it out here. it is quite and we have a lot of room for the kids to run around and to garden. my drive into town is anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending on where i want to go.

there are several cloth diapering mama around here. i have been doing it for over 6 1/2 years. i am baby 3 now.

i started a playgroup here for natural families about 2 years ago. if anyone wants to know more just email me [email protected]

also, every third wednesday from 11am to noon there is a group that meets at the main library. it is called birth stories and more, but we discuss many topics and have a variety of speakers.

LLL is sometimes has a large turn out. i haven't been in awhile. in the beginning, i felt kinda of out of place with the oldest children there. now, i am too busy with other things. there is a meeting in the mornings in madison and an evening one in south huntsville.

i just wanted to say hi to everyone.

kirstie, hello, i hope you are doing good. i haven't heard or seen you in awhile. having 3 has kept me busy, i am sure it has been similar for you.

take care

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Hey all, I wanted to say that I used to live next door to MAdison , in Athens. We lived there for over five years til dh's job moved us. I had no idea there were other natural moms there.... I never went to a single LLL meeting or anything. Now I wish I was back up there, I want to meet you.

Pearly Gates in HSV is where I bought all my bulk herbs and nat foods. They have EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! South Memorial PKWY to Bob Wallace Drive Exit, they are immediately on right just past Office Supply Store......in same strip mall as Huffman's Babies to Teens. Which is an AWESOME baby store with pumps and unusual things you won't find anywhere else. Super high quality furniture and backpack carriers, now I miss HSV too!!

The main library off Governors Drive is great too, and they have a great used bookroom where I have bought tons of stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts