Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been insanely hot here 90-100+ degrees and my mom's been after me about giving baby water in a bottle. I don't personally think this is necessary, since she is showing no signs of dehydration other than pooping only once a day as opposed to 5. This could be coincidental, though. Anyway, I was wondering if giving more foremilk would keep her more hydrated if it is an issue, or if I could dilute breastmilk with water while we're out. I try to stay in most hot days, but when every day is a hot day and baby practically demands to be taken outside, something's gotta give! Also, her auntie is visiting for the first time and it's Oregon so all the best stuff to do is outside. I know that giving more foremilk will increase my supply and I'm already engorged almost every morning. I just don't want to give her straight water yet.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'd say that you could just take more opportunities to nurse her more.

Giving water just sets her up for so many potential negatives. Breastmilk is hydrating enough. Don't dilute your milk. Just nurse more--or watch your dd and nurse when she needs it. I think when you have visitors it's tough to remember to nurse all the time--especially if you're out running around.
(My babe's about 2 months older than yours and I want to say that I think he switched to a daily poop around then).

I'd watch the wet diapers if you're concerned about dehydration.
You drink the water--nursing moms need it and none of us drink enough water.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was just in Oregon with my one month old baby and the temp got to 104. I stayed in the shade and misted her with water. I also had cold rags to put on her head. She seemed fine and happy with lots of wet diapers. I did nurse her often though. I don't think you need to mess with your milk supply. Just try to keep her cool!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in Florida & I deal with the heat all of the time.
I would not give her water, breastmilk is really all she needs.
I agree that you should try & stay in shaded areas
Invest in a little fan that you could put on the strollerMost of all, make sure that you stay hydrated

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You definitely do not need to give water. Water can actually be dangerous/deadly to young babies.

Just nurse more and keep yourself SUPER hydrated.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just want to follow up to say we had a great day out and she demanded to nurse nearly the entire time (and I obliged of course) and so she stayed perfectly hydrated. I would watch for any signs of dehydration before considering water anyway, and obviously breastfeeding is enough! Thanks for the responses.

I did have cool rags and a mister. She jumped with shock every time but then smiled when she realized it felt good!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That's great! We live on Guam and its basically ALWAYS hot here. Ds gets some water nowadays (10.5mos) since he's eating more solids, but we just always made sure to nurse very frequently (like he gave me much choice anyway
).

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think the water-for-babies thing got started in the 50s or so. I think back then formula was pushed pretty hard, and from what I've heard, extra water was NEEDED with it. So, as often happens with stuff like this, enough doctors learned to tell mothers that the water was needed with the bottles of formula, that it went over and smushed itself into breastmilkfeeding.

I figured this out by talking to my MIL, who nursed her kids for awhile, but also gave them FULL, big bottles of water...my BIL's job in the morning was to give my then-baby husband his big bottle of water while MIL got herself ready. (poor DH, being so hungry and being given water instead...no wonder he's had lifelong battles with his weight...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts