Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so trapped, as do my two little climbers. We live in a difficult area. There isn't a lot to do in the way of toddler activities. We do have a park down the road but there are often older rougher kids hanging around and it isn't kept very clean. We live in a small three bedroom apartment and due to both financial and environmental issues, we do not own a car. We walk everywhere, but again the city is rather limited.

I am going crazy trying to contain both kids all day. The weather is starting to get really nice and they love to be outdoors, but it is hard for me to just take them out all by myself. The little guy wants to walk and explore and DD tends to run at every chance. I have been considering hiking the BIG hill with our double stroller in the heat (I hate the heat) just to take them to the big public gardens so they can run free. That may work out well except DS is terrified of grass (is that normal?)

They LOVE to climb but it is getting pretty dangerous for DS. He is still so little but is determined he can climb just like his big sister does. That includes the gates that block the kitchen and bathroom. The floors in both rooms are rock tiles, and I am unable to completely babyproof those rooms, hence the gates.
We purchased a little tykes slide that is set up for them, but like all toys, it has lost it's novelty.

I have tried crafts but My DD requires constant supervision which is hard to provide when I am making sure DS isn't eating the crayons or scaling the computer desk.

I'm just lost and I feel like we are all suffering.

-FYI- DD is 25 months, DS is 13 months

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
i can just feel your pain from here. My dd turned a love to climb spree right around the time this past winter when it dipped into the coldest temps (-20F). I was going nuts. Things that helped us:
letting her run. we have a little we have this little car that is big enough for her to push and run, but small enough to fit in the living room.

we do go to the park. often. as in every day even if it is raining.

i take my kiddo outside, regardless of weather.

Sometimes we go places like the university, the shopping mall, etc. that have large hallways and I sit in the middle and then she runs up and down the hallway.

We go to the library on a weekly basis. they have a play area that she can explore.

When she was littler I would put down a big blanket and she'd play in the grass that way.

Also take the slide and hide it for a few days, or change it's location in your house. We play musical chairs/furniture often , meaning we move stuff around all the time.

Sometimes when my dd is really climbing on everything that's my clue to do puzzles or read stories with her.

And I would say definitely try tackling the hill with the double stroller. If nothing else you'll get a little exercise and everyone will be outside.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
other thoughts -- my jogging stroller has a little wrist strap. Sometimes when my dd doesn't want to ride she's happy to walk alongside, but she HAS to hold the little strap.

maybe let them into the kitchen? supervised that is. It sounds like the gate might be making it a "forbidden" place, and as such more interesting.

do you have any kind of greenspace around your apartment? can you get a ball and teach your older kiddo to kick it? my daughter loves to play in our small backyard and my dh has taught her to kick the ball, run after it and kick it again. Also maybe water? fill a cooler or large pan of water and bring it outside for them to play in. for that matter do it in the bathroom.

ok, I have to get back to work, but I hope something here helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.