Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've finally picked a name if it's a girl! I'm so excited. The boy name came easily but I really struggled with the girl name.

I chose the first name: Ava Jane
My husband chose the middle name: Emelia

I really want her to be called "Ava Jane" not just "Ava".

So, do we need to hyphenate it? After all, a friend of mine called Mary Jane doesn't hyphenate her name and everyone calls her both names.

I guess I just like to keep things as simple as possible and two first names is not simple to begin with, let alone a hyphen.

On the other hand, here in MI there's a limit to how many names can be on your driver's license. Because I have two middle names I had to hyphenate them on the MI license form (didn't have to do it legally). Are there any other technical/legal issues I should consider?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think there should be a problem with hyphenated names. They usually just put the middle name as an initial. It's up to you. If there is an initial you are essentially tying 2 names as one. So they have to use the hyphenated as one name. But either way, the DMV will figure something out, and I'm sure that is the least difficult thing they've dealt with. I've come across people with 40 letters in each first and last name. Seriously.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts