Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am just now thinking about trying our a hypno-route at nearly 30 weeks, and then got confused when looking up methods.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Would anyone be able to explain basic differences between the two, and whether you have preferences for one over the other (and why?)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This will be my 2nd birth in the hospital.  My son was supposed to be natural, no meds, and I wound up with a C/S.  I am horrified to the point of panic attacks of needles.  My OB is ok with me trying for a VBAC so long as she doesn't see any problems arise.  I want to try for a natural birth again, although I now have many more fears and DS was 10lbs even (and I am a short, Pacific Islander -- DH is the tall one.)  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, I was thinking some form of relaxation might work.  We took Bradley classes last time, and we had a doula, but I feel like I want to look into all methods before going the same route as last time...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so much!</p>

·
Registered
319 Posts
<p>i can't really compare them for you although i know there are a couple of blogs out there that do... but i debated between bradley and hypnobirthing (i had never heard of hypnobabies at the time) for my first.  i ended up taking the bradley class because my friend had recently become a teacher and she gave us a great deal.  i read the mongan hypnobirthing book at the same time (it certainly does not replace taking the class!).   i did have a wonderful, unmedicated birth with dd but when i think back, i think just reading the hypnobirthing book helped me relax and picture what was going on with my body better than the bradley class.  however, i didn't have any tools that helped me relax during transition, so even though i knew what was going on, it was still scary and unpleasant.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>this time around i am doing the hypnobabies home study course.  i like that i can do it on my own and the price can't be beat for an entire course!  i'm only 19 weeks right now but i'm absolutely loving it!  i started really early... they recommend starting between 20 and 30 weeks so you have plenty of time if you decide to do it.  if you want more info, i recommend joining the hypnobabies yahoo group... there is a great forum and tons of awesome birth stories!</p>

·
Registered
970 Posts
<p>Well...I'm studying hypnobabies.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There is a great discussion in birthing about comparing the two. and another more recent talking about hypnobirthing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So what I know, I read hypnobirthing and am now doing hypnobabies. Hypnobirthing lead me to hypnobabies as it seemed be the next step in birth. I read about a bunch of people online who either taught hypnobirthing that later went on to teach hypnobabies and quite a few moms who enjoyed hypnobirthing for previous pregnancies but found hypnobabies to work much better.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Basically what I gathered hypnobirthing is 'cheaper' in that you get a book for cheap (or free I borrowed it from my MW) but hypnobabies you get what you pay for. Lots of great meditation cds and it just fit better for me as hypnobirthing seemed to push the idea that any pain is your fault, hypnobabies seems to account for poor positioning and help to fix it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There is two free sample mp3's on the hypnobabies website you can try just to make sure you like the women's voice...I do.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oh and here's a cool story by a mom who did both. <a href="http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnobirthing.htm" target="_blank">http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnobirthing.htm</a></p>

·
Registered
379 Posts
<p>I have read Hypnobirthing but am planning to take Hypnobabies classes this time. From pretty much everyone I've talked to who has experience with both, Hypnobabies is the way to go... Plus, everyone I know who's had an "accidental" homebirth or UC or baby in the car en route to the hospital has used Hypnobabies. To me, that says a ton about how well it relaxes you!</p>

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Thank you very much, everyone!  After a cursory search, I started reading the same sorts of comments, but it's nice to hear what mothering moms think, too :)  This is a good starting place.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Peace!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts