Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does it work? Did you listen through headphones? Was it quiet enough to focus? Did you tell the hospital staff what you were doing? Were they respectful or dismissive? Which tracks did you listen to? Were you able to put yourself in a hypnotic trance, or was it more about the mantras/relaxation? Did it help?

Don't feel the need to answer all the questions, I'm just looking for a general idea and appreciate any advice you have to getting the most out of the program.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I didn't use hypnobabies specifically, but did use a hypnosis program. I found headphones too restrictive, so we brought and used a ghetto blaster at the hospital. I only had to listen to one CD, and then was able to maintain my trance after that without it. (I did use the sound from the fetal monitor as a focus point - it actually helped me quite a bit.)

I had planned a homebirth, but was brought to hospital for an induction because a long PSROM. My midwives were with me, but were no longer in charge of my care. The first nurse I had was very dismissive (and disrespectful) of my choice to labour without pain relief, but thankfully her shift ended only 20 minutes after we got there. My second nurse was great, and my midwives were with me the whole time. The were very quiet and respectful. The midwives already knew I was planning on using hypnosis, and they told my nurse. The OB was only in the room infrequently, and she was quite willing to "wait and see."

As the night wore on, I apparently caused quite a commotion at the nursing station as they couldn't believe I was handling the massive contractions silently and without moving. My student midwife had to keep feeling my belly, because she (and everyone else apparently,) thought the monitor was broken. They felt there was no way I could have contractions like that and not react. I did find the hands on the belly to be distracting, and I had a hard time maintaining the trance during internal exams, but other than that, I was very pleased with the hypnosis. It didn't make the contractions painless, but it totally helped me relax through them.

Unfortunately, in the end, I had an epidural (ostensibly to let my pelvic muscles "relax" and allow the baby to drop (he still wasn't even engaged after 9 hours of hard contractions.) I did not request the pain relief. The epidural did not have the desired effect, and I ended up with a c-section

I would still definitely use hypnosis again. My MW and nurses said it was one of the reasons I wasn't pressured earlier into a caesarean. They felt that not only did the hypnosis keep me relaxed and without physical distress, but it did the same for the baby. His heartrate remained level and steady throughout the whole thing, and even after the surgery, he was calm and relaxed.

Sorry this was so long... can you tell I really liked the hypnosis? I may not have had the kind of birth I wanted, but the overall labour experience was good because of it.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
So...I used the hypnobabies home study program for my VBAC last week. And I plan on using this program again with any other babes I may have.

I found the program to be wonderfully relaxing and reassuring during pregnancy...I'm a doula and I already had one babe (and had attended a 4 month natural birth prep series) so I didn't really need the "general" pregnancy info provided by the program, but the affirmations, relaxation scripts, and "fear release" script were amazingly helpful to me as a vbac mama.

I would have to say my birth was very tough work...I didn't feel like I was just "floating along" and I certainly wasn't silent or just laying in the bed. But I also never felt that the birth was "painful". The hypnotic suggestion was that contractions are "just pressure" and in my case that is exactly what I felt...but it certainly wasn't "comfortable"! I used some of the script as a spoken mantra and it was wonderfully effective...and I was able to relax totally between contractions, which made a huge difference during 4 hours of pushing!

I choose hypnobabies because it is designed to let you walk and talk and interact and try different positions while still in hypnosis. I listened on earbuds for a while and used a battery powered stereo for a while too.

My doula and care providers knew my hypnobabies plans and were supportive. It was also on my birth plan and the nurses were supportive as well. But my local hospital is totally mama/babe/naturl birth friendly...I never had a problem but at a different hospital I would probably have been more active in letting people know what I needed.

You might want to visit the hypnobabies yahoo group...the mamas there are using all different self hypnosis programs (not just hypnobabies) and they have tons of btdt info and ideas...

happy birthing!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canita View Post
unityco, what hypnosis program did you use??
It was "Hypnobirthing The Mongan Method." I learned through private lessons with a hypnotherapist. I didn't realize 'til now she was using someone else's program, I just assumed she made it up herself. (I only looked it up 'cause you asked
) The CDs she provided she had created herself, using her own voice.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
If you do choose the Mongan Method (this is the one with the Rainbow Relaxation...it's a book/cd combo) make sure you can work with a hypnotherapist or class. The book/cd are good but they were not designed as a "stand alone" or "complete" self hypnosis program.

If you bdon't havec access to a local class or hypnotherapist you might want to look for hypnobabies or hypbirth programs since these are "complete" home study programs.

Of course, some mamas do great on their own with the mongan method...but it's harder on your own.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I choose hypnobabies because it is designed to let you walk and talk and interact and try different positions while still in hypnosis.
I'm going to look into that for next time... I often wonder if my birth would have ended up better if I had been able to move around more and take better positions. (I did at the beginning, but once the big ctx came on, I could not maintain my trance without laying back. I could, however, interact with people.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, unityco and wombatclay!

Unityco, no need to apologize for length--that's exactly what I'm looking for. The fetal monitor focus point is a great tip. I'm sorry that your birth didn't end as planned, but I'm glad that your labor experience was so positive. I bet the nurses are still talking about you; hopefully word got around to the first nurse!

Wombatclay, I also chose hypnobabies for mobility reasons. Which relaxation scripts did you prefer? I've never really looked at the written materials--should I? Thanks so much for the yahoo group lead; I'll definitely check it out. Where do you live? Your hospital sounds ideal.

How religiously did each of you practice the program before birth? With a two year old, I am having trouble finding quiet time before late night--by then, I usually fall asleep shortly into the CD. Of course, it's supposed to be effective even subconsciously, but I can't help wondering just how effective . . .

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I did HypnoBirthing (the previously mentioned Mongan method), and it was frickin' awesome. I don't think I was listening to the cd at the hospital; I had a music cd. My ob was familiar with HB, as is my current midwife/doctor team. The nurses kept commenting how relaxed and in control I was.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasita18 View Post
How religiously did each of you practice the program before birth? With a two year old, I am having trouble finding quiet time before late night--by then, I usually fall asleep shortly into the CD. Of course, it's supposed to be effective even subconsciously, but I can't help wondering just how effective . . .
I was pretty good about doing it every night, but it was suggested I do it twice a day. I couldn't seem to manage that (and I had no kids at home then!) As I got closer to the end, I had this weird thing where the exercises on the CD really agitated me, so I tinkered with what I was doing and worked on my own visualizations and relaxation techniques. I too often fell asleep while listening.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:
Wombatclay, I also chose hypnobabies for mobility reasons. Which relaxation scripts did you prefer? I've never really looked at the written materials--should I? Thanks so much for the yahoo group lead; I'll definitely check it out. Where do you live? Your hospital sounds ideal.
I loved the deepening script and the hypnotic childbirth #2 script. I also listened to the easy first stage script every night starting at 39 weeks. I know you're not supposed to, but...well... I really liked it and I think it helped when I was in early birthing since I "knew" what was on the track.

And I would listen to each track once or twice while dh put dd to bed, but after that I just put them on an mp3 player and "fell asleep" with them. The deepening scritp even has a cue in it specifically for falling asleep!

The written material is good, but if you've attended a natural birth class or spent a lot of time here at mdc or done a lot of rading you probably have most of the info already. It covers the brewer diet, prenatal exercise, positions for active/natural birthing, the possible pros and cons of different interventions or medical "options", birth plans, doulas, and a section for your partner. And there is a smaller workbook you can bring to your birth that has some "cheat sheet" type ideas. So it's great info, and a great guide, but I didn't really "need" any of it and you may not either.

Oh, and I'm in upstate ny...our small local hospital is amazing!

happy birthing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I totally understand the annoyance factor, unityco. I have a thing against the guilt trip portion of each hypnobabies cd--"I know you will listen to this in perfect quiet with no interruptions at least once a day and practice this technique at least five times a day because you want to have a great birth." I know the reminders are well-intentioned, but I don't want to feel reprimanded as I try to relax with the cds. These kind of lines actuall increase my stress level, which seems pretty contradictory to the purpose of such programs. Of course, I'm sure it wouldn't be stress-inducing if I met all of the standards. Unfortunately, quiet isolation is hard to come by in my house.

Thanks for the cd recs, wombatclay. I really like the hypnotic childbirth #2 script. It's great to have those "instant anaesthesia" words down. I agree with you on the binder--I do know most of the info already, but it is nice to have it all in one place.

·
Registered
960 Posts
although my hospital has a very high rate of successful VBACs, my mw sais that they require VBACs to be on constant fetal monitoring on your back/side (she really encourages you to stay at home as long as possible though.)

still, i worry about being "stuck" on my back and wonder if hypno. is the way to go.
maybe i should have started my own thread, but i thought i would jump in. anyone use it for this situation?
thanks,
mcs

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wasn't VBACing at the time, but I was on constant fetal monitoring because of the induction. They didn't make me lie on my back or side, but it wasn't wireless monitoring, so I couldn't move far. I was able to move pretty freely on the bed (hands & knees, draped over the head, etc,) and sit on my birth ball beside the bed. However, like I said, once the big ctx came on, I couldn't do much beside lay in the bed anyway if I wanted to maintain my trance.

HTH!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi! I had my third baby on Nov. 29 in a hospital using hypnobabies. She was my third baby (second VBAC). It worked for me as I had a totally drug free birth. I have to say though that the reason I'm answering your post is that my room was not in any way quiet and it did not allow me to relax and listen to my CDs. I brought a CD player with me and headphones. I practiced every night by reading the materials and then listening to the required CD. Usually I fell asleep to them. My DH also read all the materials including the Birth Partner's Guide. He also listened to some of the CDs. My labor was VERY fast which didn't help matters. My water broke at 5 a.m. We got on the 6:20 a.m. ferry boat to Seattle. We arrived at the hospital at 7:20 a.m. and my daughter was born at 9:27 a.m. My DH didn't help matters because he couldn't remember how to get to the hospital and kept asking me how to get there interrupting me on the CDs. Then when we got to the hospital and into the room, a guy kept coming in to change a lightbulb in my room, everyone was talking and no one respected my decision to be quiet and relaxed. ABout 45 minutes before she was born and I was in the tub, my DH finally went out into the room and told everyone that if they didn't have a good reason to be in there they needed to get the hell out. Everyone left including the nurses. Unfortunately, he should have done that in the beginning. Also, my doula and my DH would put the headphones on me, but forget to turn up the volume so I couldn't hear it. By that time the focus was gone and I could feel everything and it was very painful. I couldn't even voice that I needed them to make sure it was on and turn up the volume. By the time i was ready to push, someone again put the headphones on but didn't turn it up. You can see the headphones on in my pictures, but since i couldn't hear it, it wasn't working for me.

Despite all of this I have to say a couple of things. The pain was definitely manageable until the last 1/2 hour. That's when I went into transition and then pushed her out in 3 pushes. My labor went exactly as I had envisioned down to the morning time, length of time, my water breaking, etc. Last, but not least, I have a VERY calm, patient, happy, smiling, and great sleeper baby. I attribute all of that to my hypnobabies training.

I would definitely recommend you join the hypnobabies yahoo group. It is invaluable. If I have another baby, I will definitely do the home study program again, put the sign on the door to BE QUIET, and make sure my DH is a better hypnoguardian.

Carrissa
dd's 02/14/91, 08/29/04, hypnobaby Sophia 11/29/06

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
not vbac but i did hynobabies in a hospital-- didn't want the cd by the end (used them earlier in the day at home and in the car, then tore headphones off!). Did manage to basically sleep for the two hours btw arriving and pushing (also ince at home). It was not comfortable but not painful either... lotsa pressure, say. I would be fine thru several waves, then vocalize thru a big one, w/ doula massaging. but as for pushing, pretty comfy! hospital was great-- natural-friendly staff very respectful of my birth plan which explained it-- they knew about it already-- and my awesome OB, too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.