Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning an HBAC for my baby #2 and I'd like to try hypnobirthing this time around. DH and I don't have the time, or a sitter for our 2 year old on a weekly basis so the class is kind of out of the question I guess. I would like to study independently but the CD set is so expensive. I just can't see spending $160 or $180 for a set of CDs.
Anyone have any suggestions? Is it so totally worth it to buy them or can I learn from a book. Maybe I could get quite a bit of my money back on ebay after the birth.

I'd love to hear suggestions on this. I didn't take any child birth prep classes or anything with ds. I can't say that I suffered without them though. I'd just like to arm myself for my HBAC the best way I can.

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
694 Posts
My suggestion would be to check into your library system for whatever dvds/videos and books you can find. The state I live in carries the current Hypnobirthing publications so it may be worth looking into yours. It just might take more self discipline to read and practice on your own but a low-cost at home option.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Try buying Hypnobabies used on eBay. You might get lucky & get a good deal there. I resold my set when I was done & have seen plenty of others there as well. Oh yeah, it has good resale value so at least you can get some/most of your money back (I resold mine for like $10 less than I paid so I got an excellent return on it).

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Or check out the Trading Post!

Best wishes on your HBAC

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I have a CD somewhere... I'll try to look for it, and if I find it I'll post. I'll mail it to you if I find it and you PM me your address. It's not like a CD SET, just one, but hopefully it will help.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I used hypnobirthing for both of my births, and HIGHLY recommend it. If you're a good "self studier" I really don't see a problem with your teaching it to yourself...as long as you REALLY commit to the practice. Every day. Every. Day. It's the relaxing so often that you fall into it very easily that makes you so sucessful during labor and birth. Especially if you have the cd's, you'll be able to handle it. My dh is AWFUL at reading scripts. So, I just learned it on my own, and used his calming PRESCENCE to help me stay centered.

A suggestion, though. Do read "Active Birth" and "The Birth Partner" and also have your husband read those two books as well as the hypnobirthing book. Follow the premise of the active birth book...practice your relaxing while on the birthing ball, while in the tub, while on all fours, while dancing against a counter. Being upright and active will help you to be more efficient...and it will be MORE effective if you practice the relaxation while in those postions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you're going to do a self study program, I recommend Hypnobabies.com Not only is a complete childbirth education program, you can join the yahoo group for a LOT of support, questions and concerns answered.

I did Hypnobirthing with my first birth, and Hypnobabies with my second. I loved Hypnobabies so much I'm going to become an instructor. I think if you're doing a home course, Hypnobabies might be a better option for you because there is more material and more support online.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laohaire
I have a CD somewhere... I'll try to look for it, and if I find it I'll post. I'll mail it to you if I find it and you PM me your address. It's not like a CD SET, just one, but hopefully it will help.
Great! I'd love all the help I can get. That's very nice of you to offer. In the mean time I search the library and ebay.

Thanks for the help ladies!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way...

At what point in pregancy is it good to start practicing with the CDs? I will be entering my 3rd trimester very very soon. Is it too late for me to get much out of it?

amy

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I highly reccomend the Hypnobabies home study course!! I ended up transporting from home to the hospital for a pitocin induction, and I was completely calm throughout my entire labor. I took 1/2 a dose of stadol for 20 min at transition, because I was having to wimper and cry a little bit - LOL! The best money we spent.

I think the course is 6 weeks - you can get benefits even if you don't have that much time by working through it at a faster pace. I used it my entire pregnancy and loved it.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoebe
By the way...

At what point in pregancy is it good to start practicing with the CDs? I will be entering my 3rd trimester very very soon. Is it too late for me to get much out of it?

amy
I don't think it's too late to start. But like a pp said, the most important thing is that you practice daily. That's what will make the difference.

·
Registered
884 Posts
when i was pg with #2 (2003), it was only $36 for two tapes and the book at hypnobirthing! has it gone up that much since then?

i never took a class and hypnobirthing worked amazingly well for me. we had a home waterbirth that was spectacular.

i have scripts from hypnobabies that the woman there emailed to me for free when i was pg. i'd be happy to email them to you, just LMK. my dh read the scripts onto a tape for me, so i was conditioned to relax to the sound of his voice, which was a nice extra touch.

actually, i think hypnobirthing is worth any amount of $$$, it is really incredible.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Doesn't the CD come with the book? I saw the book at Barnes and Noble for like $20 and it had a CD in it. Is that not the whole program?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.