Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm really interested in using Hypnobirthing this time around to help through labor. My Birth Center offers classes but they are on the two nights during the week when DP is in school so that's out. Soo, I bought the book with CD that was recommended from the birth center it's the one by Mongan.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else had used this and what you thought of it. Any recommendations? I'm trying to practice it at night after DS goes to sleep but I'm having a hard time staying awake. Thanks for any feedback or ideas.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Hi! I had purchased the HypnoBirthing Mongan Method too. Then I learned about Hypnobabies. It's much better. It is more thorough and you get more cds and more training. It has a higher success rate of comfortable and usually pain-free births. Here is some of what they say about it:

"Hypnobabies . . . uses medical hypnotic anesthesia techniques . . . as opposed to simple visualization and imagery, and contains the same kinds of hypnotic scripts used by people who undergo surgery with hypnosis as their only anesthetic. We also *fully* train the Birth Partners by giving them their own Birth Partner's relaxation CD, and their own detailed Birth Partner's Guide for labor . . . This is unique to Hypnobabies and we are very proud of this feature. . . . "Pain management and coping skills" are actually opposite of what is learned in Hypnobabies; we teach Pain Elimination by using real hypnosis. . . . Hypnobabies also has "Eyes Open Childbirth Hypnosis", which allows the hypno-mom to walk and talk and move around freely yet remain very relaxed, fully present, aware and in touch with her body and baby and *completely comfortable while doing so*. Other programs rely on complete immobility for focus and concentration. . . . Other programs have shorter and simpler childbirth hypnosis classes (8-10 hours of instruction as opposed to our 15) and may contain some excellent hypno-tools for birthing, but none contain the amount of information and support of Hypnobabies. All elements have been carefully designed to work together and the results are amazing even to me. Not all of our Hypno-moms will have a completely pain-free birthing [70% I believe], yet for most it will be very close to it, and this makes all the difference in the world to so many women. Very gratifying!"

Since there are no classes in my area I am going to order the homestudy course (about $135 but I am hoping to get a used set for less). I also joined the Hypnobabies Yahoo Group which is great, lots of success stories there too. Also several moms on that group who used Hypnobirthing (Mongan Method) first and the next time they switched to Hypnobabies with better results. That's what really won me over! HTH!

·
Registered
754 Posts
My sister used Hypnobirthing with her second baby and was very happy with the results. I was so impressed myself that I took the Hypnobirthing classes to prepare for the upcoming birth of my twins. I actually read most of the book before going to class and have found that the classes are MUCH more informative and thorough than the book alone. I really didnt feel all that comfortable after just reading the book, but am now very confident having taken the class. Also, the main relaxation technique in Hypnobirthing is done to the Rainbow relaxation CD, which does not come with the book, but is given out by the instructor during class. You could try contacting your local instructor or the Hypnobirthing institute to see if you can get a copy of it

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I did a hypnobirthing class the first time around, which included the Mongan book. I really liked it and had a great birth experience. This second time around I'm re-reading the book. I think the most important thing with whatever course or book you choose is to practice. Practice daily if you can over the last couple of months. And it is actually kind of good if you are falling asleep while doing it. That means you are getting really, really relaxed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OMama
...And it is actually kind of good if you are falling asleep while doing it. That means you are getting really, really relaxed.
I guess I must be doing really well then... I've never gotten through the entire relaxation yet without falling asleep

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I did hypnobirthing classes w/ my 1st birth and the hypnobabies home study course (part of it) with my 2nd. I highly recommend the method!! I really enjoyed the practice and I give it a lot of credit for how well things went.

Hypnobabies is definitely much more extensive and provides you with many more tools, fear release, scripts than does hypnobirthing.

There is something to be said for an in-person class where you can meet others and ask questions, but the hypnobabies home study course is great, and if I could do it over again I would have done that for my 1st birth.

There is a yahoogroup you can join where you can discuss it with other people, teachers of the method, and the creator, Kerry. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hypnobabies/

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I couldn't afford any of the classes or the tapes last time, so I used my own music and my own "mantra" to help me relax. When I told my husband what I was chanting to myself he nearly snorted lemonade out his nose. I used a quote from Dune, "Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me." Believe it or not, it worked VERY well.
I am such a geek!

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I had a pain free birth with my dd. My friend is a hypnobirthing class instructor and we really enjoyed the class. I found it to be very helpful.

I looked just like the other women they show in labor - just laying in the tub with my eyes closed. You would have never guessed that I was 9+ cm and contracting every miinute or so. I was so relaxed. I found nothing about the birth painful and I do think that the class helped me.

I also came into the birth experience believeing that my body was fully capable of birthing and that it didn't have to be painful. Having seen animals give birth without all the hysterics, I just believed that I could do the same thing. My dd was also very well positioned and was helping all through out the process. She was moving and positioning and very much an active partner in the process and I think that helped a lot too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.