Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so it seems every other thread lately has a reference to hypnosis.

Who all is choosing hypnosis to prepare for childbirth?
How "loyal" have you been to doing the CDs daily?
What's your hypno routine?
Concerns?

I've been doing it since early on... I think i started at like 16 weeks. I chose to do that becuase I have a program with lots of CDs and I find that hypno really helps me keep a positive attitude during pregnancy. The whole easy birthing is just a bonus!


I do hypno every night before I go to bed. I did one CD every week until a couple weeks ago. Now, I do one CD every 5 days and switch. I sleep through most of the CD. If I have time to take a long nap during the day, I'll listen to whatever CD I'm drawn to outside of my rotation.

Gosh, i sound like the hypno poster child, don't I? It's just I KNOW it works soooo well. I really value the births I've had in the past and attribute so much of ability to experience them as intense, but not necessarily painful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
I'm getting a much later start than you, Claire!

We just decided a few weeks ago to go ahead with the class. Our first class was tonight, actually, and it was great. I'm excited to get started with the CDs, I hope to do them everyday...

I'm glad to hear that you've found the methods useful in your other births. Everything I heard/read about hypnosis for birth sounds amazing... I guess my concern is that it's overhyped... but I'm keeping an open mind and hope to be really disciplined about it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
I just recently got turned on to this. I borrowed the hypnobirthing book from my MWs office and it came with the affermation tapes but not the relaxation one (anyone have one I can borrow, copy?) I did get another relaxation tape (birth song I think) and I do listen to that every night, but I fall asleep so quickly I wonder if its doing me any good? I havnt listened to the hypnobirthing affermations yet either, im slacking

Erin sent me a really cool birth chants CD. Im really enjoying that as well, its not hypnosis but its empowering chants ect... I find im humming it throughout most of the day. Id like to get some more hypnosis cd/tapes and some music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne_L
Everything I heard/read about hypnosis for birth sounds amazing... I guess my concern is that it's overhyped... but I'm keeping an open mind and hope to be really disciplined about it!
You know, Jeanne, I was concerned about that during my first pregnancy, too. (also my first hypnosis birth - I did HypnoBirthing class & tapes) But I figured, heck, if I do it, I might as well just fake it till I make it! I just figured, even if i had my doubts (which I did!) I'd just pretend it was going to work. Like, I paid for the class and I listened to the tapes daily, so heck, I might as well act like this crock of bologna is going to give me some kind of relief!

Turned out with that birth, I went pain free until transition. But, goodness, that's pretty good, I'd say! I was able to have fun at my birth and even when transition hit and I had pain, I got through it. It was doable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
I did hypno with dd and although it wasn't pain free, I definitely think I managed much betetr than I would have without. I also made mistakes the first time- like I really needed to work it more during the early stages and instead I let the pain get ahead of me and never could quite catch up to it- if that makes any sense.

I haven't been as good about it this time. I listen to me cd's a few times per week. I have had 2 sessions with my doula- who does hypnosis- and those sessions were very powerful. We did a fear release and an anesthesia type one. Plus I try to count myself down when I am having back pain or BH and work with the hypnosis.

Over all I have kindof been a slacker but I am pretty sure that I have the basics and hopefully can work it better this time.

whats the name of the chants cd? It sounds interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarCat
I also made mistakes the first time- like I really needed to work it more during the early stages and instead I let the pain get ahead of me and never could quite catch up to it- if that makes any sense.
Yeah, I think that makes sense. I've never listened to the hypno stuff or done any exercises during labor. I did do Hypno breathing during my surges just instincitvely. I find that things will just randomly pop into my head or I'll just breath and go inward during a surge, but then, I'm present in between the surges. During my last labor my DH and I just sang songs through every one of my surges. Then we joked and laughed or talked and hugged in between surges. We didn't ever do any hypno work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Interesting, Spark. So, are you saying (let me be sure I understand) that with your last birth, you did the program all through the pregnancy, but in birth, you didn't listen to any CDs? I wonder if I'll do that. Was that a plan or did it just kinda happen that way?

I am doing hypnobabies. I am being diligent and doing it nightly (waking up to headphones smashed into my head), but DH and I are not really doing our couple part diligently. He's just too busy with other very important projects for us to do the birth partner scripts (forehead pressure, etc) nightly. I wonder if this will matter. I don't think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
well, as i said in my other "why am i so stupid" thread LOL i am JUST starting the cd's. and the first time i listened to the first one, i fell asleep about 20 minutes into it. LOL at first i was all "oh, there's no way i'm gonna get relaxed enough - i'm SO not the type of person this will work for. this probably isn't even gonna-*SNOOOOOOOOORE*"
LMAO!!!

i have no experience with the stuff and i am really really really really nervous about it, really worried that i've started too late (thank you ladies for your kind words on the other thread - that makes a HUGE difference)...but i'm DETERMINED to make some progress listening to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spark
You know, Jeanne, I was concerned about that during my first pregnancy, too. (also my first hypnosis birth - I did HypnoBirthing class & tapes) But I figured, heck, if I do it, I might as well just fake it till I make it! I just figured, even if i had my doubts (which I did!) I'd just pretend it was going to work. Like, I paid for the class and I listened to the tapes daily, so heck, I might as well act like this crock of bologna is going to give me some kind of relief!

Turned out with that birth, I went pain free until transition. But, goodness, that's pretty good, I'd say! I was able to have fun at my birth and even when transition hit and I had pain, I got through it. It was doable.

Thanks, Claire. I appreciate hearing about your experiences!
Another thing I'm wondering about the hypnosis...
In our first class we watched this "Dateline" episode featuring hypobirthing (I think it was done in the late 90s) that followed two women through labor and birth. One of them, especially, seemed almost to be asleep through the whole thing. She described afterwards how detached she felt, and how unaware of time she was (at one point she thought she leaned up against one spot for 3 contractions but later someone told her she was there for four hours)... this may sound weird, but I'm not sure that I want to be that detached and removed from my labor and birth. I've been practicing being really present in my life for the past few years (through yoga, meditation, etc) and I feel like this experience will be so powerful and empowering and I really want to be in the moment and savor it, ykwim?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemomma
Interesting, Spark. So, are you saying (let me be sure I understand) that with your last birth, you did the program all through the pregnancy, but in birth, you didn't listen to any CDs? I wonder if I'll do that. Was that a plan or did it just kinda happen that way?
Ooh, didn't mean to leave you hanging with this question! Sorry, I should have checked back sooner. The board's been busy with new threads lately!

You got it right. I did the program all through pregnancy but then never "tried" to enter hypnosis during childbirth nor did I listen to any CDs during labor. It all just sinks in. Depending on the literature with the program you're working it might say to listen to affirmations, a CD for labor or nothing during labor. They're ALL based on the same 1940's hypno program and pretty identical, except that HypnoBirthing only utilizes one of the hypnosis scripts on tape and asks humans to do the other scripts. So the bottom line is, they are all designed (whether or not they come with birth directions) to work no matter what you do during labor. If you've practiced daily during pregnancy, it will just kick in.

I chose not to do any tapes because I really liked being in my experience. I felt like listening to a tape would make me less into my experience and more into the tape. Does that make sense? So, I chose not to. But, it's totally a personal decision.

I feel like I should note that during my first birth my DH did some of the hypno techniques with me during early labor, but not so much after that.

Oh, and my last pregnancy, my husband didn't do a darn exercise with me! It was all I could do to get him to read the "hypno cues for partners". And, he never used those during labor like i thought i'd want him to. Turned out it was better without them though.
So, yes, i do think uninvolved hypno partners don't really effect the workings of the program. It's just a bonus if they do!


Just one gal's experiences!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne_L
... this may sound weird, but I'm not sure that I want to be that detached and removed from my labor and birth. I've been practicing being really present in my life for the past few years (through yoga, meditation, etc) and I feel like this experience will be so powerful and empowering and I really want to be in the moment and savor it, ykwim?
YES! That is EXACTLY my point (you just put it better) about why I choose not to do tapes during labor. They work "too" well I think. I want to be present. I want to experience.

I know some moms who do hypnobirthing choose to listen the affirmations tape during labor at a low setting. They can tune into it if they want to . But, they're not IN that total relaxation state.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top