Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeling really sick the last two days. Called the mw office and didn't get much help, but the nurse mentioned the possibility of hypoglycemia and suggested they test for it at my next appt. (not for a week and a half.) Anyway, I've been prone to low blood sugar my whole life, but never actually diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Just get sick and have to eat some sugar sometimes to feel better. So, this wouldn't come as a real surprise. But I did start a new medicine yesterday morning and I'm thinking it's probably more related to that. Though I could see it triggering hypoglycemia. I switched from Prilosec to Prevacid, was feeling mildly nauseous on the Prevacid, as the effectiveness was beginning to wear off. But, I've been incredibly nauseous on the Prevacid. Haven't been able to drink enough, but I did get some gatorade today and also drank some pregnancy tea, since plain water is out right now (pretty much like bad early morning sickness). I've been excessively tired, really physcially exhausted, and hardly able to do anything more than necessary. I've had bad headaches both days in the evening (dehydration maybe?) And I've really been lacking much of an appetite (which is what caused the nurse to think of hypoglycemia). But I've tried harder to eat often and as good as possible today. Didn't do so well yesterday. I will call the mw again on Monday if I'm not feeling better. Their advice was to continue the medication, give it time to kick in, and "we'll see you at your next appt."
: I noticed that the gatorade helps significantly with the nausea, same as when I had bad morning sickness in the beginning. I often found in the beginning that if I had a sugary drink like gatorade or a bit of candy, it would help immensely, so I thought I'd try it again. Worked like a charm. Anyway, anyone have experience with this? What would you do?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Well, if your mw thinks you may even possibly have hypoglycemia, then I totally don't get why they didn't do a simple blood sugar test on you. If I were you, I would ask for one.

Here's a good link on the topic:
http://www.mfm-evms.org/dm7ahypoglycemia.html

It tells you what sugar levels constitute hypoglycemia, what the symptoms are, and what what you can do to control it.

Hypoglycemia rarely needs any medication, its more a matter of you learning to control it with diet.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
My brother and I are borderline "clinical" hypoglycemia... we get sick if we don't eat (DH will tell you it's the only time I'm ever unreasonable, even while pregnant
He's so nice)

While I do feel a bit better with a good sugar spike, it absolutely MUST be followed by some protein. For a quick fix, start with some saltines to get you feeling ok, then have some cheese or nuts to keep you level. I was keeping Larabars in my purse just for times like that... fruit sugars plus a ton of nuts.

I saw a $12 disposable blood sugar testing kit at Wallgreens. It was the monitor and a few dozen strips all in a little film canister size container.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I am surprised they want to put that off since couldn't that cause you to faint, etc???

Good luck, mama! I hope you can get everything figured out quickly!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was kind of surprised I got so blown off. Even if it's not hypoglycemia, I was struggling to stay hydrated becaues of the nausea and woke up feeling really crampy yesterday, which I didn't think they'd want to mess with at 33.5 weeks.

I remembered why the nurse suggested the possibility of hypoglycemia. I told her I absolutely couldn't wait 30 min. to eat after taking my pill in the morning. I wait 10 min. or so, and that's about as long as I can wait. I wake up starving. The last few mornings I've been waking feeling even more ravenous than normal. But I didn't think waking up starving was abnormal in pregnancy. Anyway, I do think I've always been "borderline" hypoglycemic, especially after reading some of your responses. A few days ago, when I was feeling the worst (and really having trouble eating), I stood up and had "gold glitter" in my vision for well over a minute. It just wouldn't go away, and I couldn't move. I do get really irritable when I'm hungry, dh knows to make me eat and not mess with my food.

I can totally see how this medicine could trigger worse hypoglycemia symptoms. I've been feeling so nauseous, mostly right after I eat, that I haven't wanted to eat and I've been putting if off for too long. Hopefully the medicine starts working and I start feeling better soon instead of worse. Thanks for the help mamas!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
there is a good chance you really have HYPOchlorhydira not HYPERclhorhydria (too little instead of too much stomach acid) the symptoms are the same and so so so many folks are given acid blockers when you really never had enough acid to begin with.. or the acid level is OK it is just up in your esophagus where it does not belong.. lowering the acid will stop the burn but you won't digest your food properly or absorb calcium right and will be nauseated (this is why Emetrol for nausea works well.. it is phosphoric acid.. an acid booster..) anyway, figuring out wkhy the acid is refluxing often works better than just totally lowering the acid and getting sick.. does this make sense?? I will dig up a link

to see, try 1/2 a lemon squeezed in 8 oz of water and chug it.. it you feel much less nausea right away your stomach acid is too LOW and the acid blocker is maing you worse..

broad spectrum digestive enzymes work really well in this case too...

I'm sorry you feel crappy, it is not fun esp when pg.. hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
OH crap never got to the hypoglycemia part, I was focused on the nausea!!

lots of fluids and a very low glycemic index diet should fix the hypoglycemia (with the standard, small frequent meals thing..).. feel better

I get BOTH hypochlorhydria and hypoglycemia and I have to be really careful

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.