Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I found this forum and it seems so helpful. I have a fertility question that I think y'all might be able to help me with.

I'm hypothyrioid and have been trying to get pregnant for about 2 years. I'm only 25 and so when I didn't get pregnant in the first year i was pretty shocked. I knew that hypothyroidism could affect your fertility but I take synthroid so I thought that would offset the hypohthyroidism. Anyway, I took a few fertility tests and found that they said I was ALWAYS ovulating or at least that my fsh was always up (I think thats what they test). Even when I'm on my period, if I take a test it says I'm ovulating! And I've tried different manufacturers, etc... and the result is always the same, always ovulating.
:

Have any of you other hypothryroid women had this problem? Its really odd...

Thanks in advance for any help/support

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi!

I'm so sorry you've run into these difficulties.

I am also hypo (but won't be TTC until this summer). I have done a significant amount of research on the thyroid/fertility connection to optimize my chances when dh and I are ready to TTC. I think I saw that you posted on another hypo-related thread that I responded to. If you check that thread again, you'll see I've posted some resources that I've found incredibly helpful.

Although you're on synthroid, talk to your healthcare provider about testing your current TSH levels (at the very least -- if you can, find out about your T3, T4 and anti-thyroid antibody levels, too). Certain TSH levels are more optimal than others. Ideally, for TTC, you should try to get into the 1.0-2.0 TSH range (0.3-3.0 is considered normal; this range was revised about two years ago. The old range was 0.5-5.0 -- make sure your doc is using the new range.)

LH (lutenizing hormone) is the hormone that indicates ovulation (there's an LH surge immediately preceding ovulation). I don't mean to concern you, but a consistently high level of LH might be indicative of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I would recommend that your doctor do an LH/FSH ratio test, the results of which are used for diagnosis.

Certainly, women with hypothyroidism and PCOS can have successful pregnancies, so don't be worried.

In my case -- although I haven't TTC yet -- my synthroid dosage has been optimized and I am ovulating and doing well.

You can definitely be successful! Just work with your healthcare provider to learn more about your situation and take steps to optimize your health.

I wish you the best!
K

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at your reply in the other tread, it was really helpful. After checking into the PCOS I'm sure I have it. I have all the symptoms and it would definitely explain my fertitlity test results... I'm going to go to the doctor and see what can be done.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I too am hypo and PCOS..it took me 4 years to conceive....although on the first try after we finally figured out *everything* that was wrong, including some sneaky male factor we hadn't counted on.....!!!!!

To get pg...you need to take a drug called metformin in order to normalize your insulin/hormone levels in regard to your PCOS..you *might* also need to up your dose of synthroid to get you into the 1ish TSH range, as previously suggested.....With the met and the syn...you *should* (about 50% chance, as I understand it) ovulate and be able to conceive...if not, then other things can be looked at like clomid/femara/injectables, etc.......but we're getting ahead of ourselves here!
You WILL need to keep taking the metformin at least the first trimester of your pregnancy, and maybe all of it.....and the syn for ALL of it....
not to be too personal here, but in several types of PCOS, being overweight/obese is one of the symptoms..if this applies to you, losing even a LITTLE weight, 5-10 pounds, can be very good for you, and increase chances of conceiving...also, eating a LOW/LOWER-carb diet is essential, to help keep your blood sugar/insulin levels closer to normal...
I also "diagnosed" myself with PCOS after reading about it...I *AM* the posterchild..lol! I was also 22ish when i started TTC, so i had the same shock as you did when I did not conceive.....
You will also want to arm yourself with a GOOD lactation consultant who HAS EXPERIENCE with PCOS women and breastfeeding...not to alarm you, but many PCOS women have issues with breastfeeding..some have oversupply, some are basically "normal", and quite a few seem to have low-supply problems....I did/do...but there are ways to deal with this....and *many* women with PCOS can successfully BF without supplementing...and even those that have to supplement, can generally nurse *some*, with the right help....
Sorry for the soapbox...
Best wishes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.