Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a decision on the next step for treatment on our road to making a babe....

Background: Last week we found out that I have a blocked tube and several adhesions in my uterus.

My doc would like me to undergo a hysteroscopy before we can proceed with IVF. I told her that I am not so comfortable with surgery and then she suggested the Hystersonogram. She told me that if the sonogram is clear then we could proceed with IVF. Hence, my confusion if I did not need the surgery why suggest it??????

My questions is for all those moms who have gone through IVF which one should I do? Is it a waste of time and money to do the sonogram or should I just right into the surgery? What do ART clinics normally recommend? We have to do this test before we get our referral and I just can't afford to waste money on tests they don't need.

Thank you for any light you can shed on this subject.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well as my RE said to me when he referred me to get the hysteroscopy "Who cares about your tubes." Meaning if your doing IVF your tubes are bypassed and it is irrelevent for the sucess of IVF. So why do any test or procedure to diagnose or deal with block tubes IF you are only going to do IVF.

Now the adhesions in the uterus. I had the hysteroscopy to check for any scarring as I had a major hemmorage after my birth. My RE said that any scarring/adehsions can affect implantation as the embryo may not be able to implant. He said it is silly to do after an unsucessful FET. I had it done last month an it was so simple. A 5 min. procedure and not a problem at all. Now my uterus had no adhesions so I didn't need the surgery aspect. I would look into it more myself. How severe are the adhesions? Covering how much of the uterus? Is it proven that removing them increases implantation? For how long? Do they grow back?

All the best. I hope my experiences were some help. If you have any other questions please ask.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason why they are making me undergo these tests in for the uterus adhesions. There is no hope for my tubes and IVF is the only way. But from what I understand the adhesions are minor. That's why it seems strange to me that exploratory surgery would be the best bet???

BTW for your hysteroscopy did they give you local or general anesthesia?

Thank you for sharing. Knowing what other women have gone through really helps. We are just starting this whole process and it's a bit overwhelming.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My first IVF cycle was successful and I have a 21 month old dd. I had a blocked tube (hydrosalpinx) and needed surgery for that before my IVF cycle. My concern, as well as my RE's concern, was that the fluid from the blocked tube could harm the embryo-wash it way, keep it from implanting, etc. Before my IVF cycle, my RE did a hystersonogram to make sure the uterus didn't have any problems that would prevent an embryo from implanting. If you have adhesions in your uterus it seems like those would need to be removed before an IVF cycle, so I am confused about the options your RE is giving you. How where the adhesions confirmed? If you are sure that you actually have adhesions, I would have them removed. If not, I would go with the sonogram. If the sonogram was clear then that would mean there were no adhesions. I have had a long day so I hope what I am trying to say is making sense. Good Luck with your IVF cycle.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi Clara,

To answer your question I only had local freezing. I had no other pain med's not even advil or similiar. I didn't even have any cramping or bleeding. Very harmless procedure for me.

I too am wondering how the adhesions were diagnosed. I hear you about it being overwhelming. It hasn't stoped for me either. I just focus on one small task at a time. Currently I am trying to figure out how to get our frozen embroy's shipped across the country while both clinics think the other should take charge
: It has also helped to allow plenty of time for every step. Instead of thinking I can get something figured out in a day, I give it a week or even two. I find it keeps the stress down by keeping my expectations realistic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my adhesions or what they tell me are adhesions where seen on my HSG. So they want to do more checking before they get me going on ivf.

Marlee your experience sounds nothing like my doc described. I have to go in for a full op. general anesthesia recovery etc... I am going to call her and ask if local anesthesia is an option otherwise I think I have to go with the sonogram because surgery scares me

The IVF process is so foreign.... and since I am not a patient person delays really irk me... thank you for your advice on keeping expectations- real. I really really have to work on that.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Clara. Some more infortmation you may find helpful. Okay here's what happend to me. My RE referred me to a Dr. near him to do the procedure, someone he works with. The problem is I live 6 + hours away. I called the nurses at the hospital and got all the information on what my visit would look like. How long. What med's. (I am still bf'ing). And every other question I could think of. Then I decided I should see if I could get it down at a hospital which is closer to me, only 3 hrs. away. I go through the whole referral process and Dr. appointment and he tells me they treat this procedure as day surgery. Go in two hours before appointment time. Do preg. test, wait for the results. Get an IV put in. Go into 'waiting' area. Get procedure done, which he said only actually takes 10 min. Then go to 'recovery' for an hour or so and wait to be released. Expect to be there 4-6 hrs.!!!??!! What is this the same procedure!!!?? Yes just different hospitals. Needless to say I wasn't going to spend the day with my nursing toddler and Dh in a hospital if not needed. We went to the hospital 6 + hrs. away and I went in while dd and dh took a walk and I beat them back to the car! The procedure itself was similiar to my HSG but no cramping after for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.