Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my Tai Chi class this morning! Gah! When we had to hold the positions for longer than like 60 seconds I thought I would just pass out

I had alot more energy when I got home, but man....I felt like I got my ass wooped this morning!

Anyone else excercising? I'm going to keep taking my tai chi class throughout the summer and attempt to take the next level come September (I'm being very ambitious here, we'll see what really happens
) and I'm definitely going to continue with my yoga class.

Otherwise I'm a thoroughly lazy individual

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yea, I had the same thing happen on Monday when I was riding up this big hill and I wound up just walking my bike.

I'm going to keep taking my Middle Eastern Dance class. My teacher is one of the few people IRL who knows I'm pregnant and she just told me to take it easy and not try anything that feels uncomfortable. She has a three month old so she should be able to remember pretty clearly.

Getting around is going to be really tough after the baby's born because the helmet law in my state kind of precludes putting a car seat in my as-yet-unpurchased bike trailer and in all honesty I don't think I can be both safe AND legal until this kiddo is almost a year old, at which point I'm going to be horribly out of shape.

I'm naturally a couch potato or was until I entered my 40s. Now I go positively stir crazy and start crawling out of my skin if I can't get that endorphin fix. Hopefully I can keep biking until the birth, anyway.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
The only exercise I'm getting right now is a mile-long walk with my dog in the mornings. It seems like every day that mile is taking a little longer!

I will start doing my prenatal yoga DVD soon... I'd love to take a class but really can't afford it. And the studio closest to me doesn't seem to do prenatal!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I take exercise classes at the YMCA 5 days a week and do 25 minutes on the eliptical machine. I also try to get a 4 mile walk in 4-5 times per week. I have noticed that I am not burning as many calories on the machine, and in my classes I have to take little rest breaks, especially in pilates when we get into the plank position for an extended period of time, I just can't do it right now! Oh, and sometimes when we are going from a laying down position to a more upright one, I get head rushes that are much more extreme and "see stars" for a minute or two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I work out like 3 times a week. I do stregth training 2 and cardio 3 times. I did take this week off but I am going to my class on Saturday. I had also signed up for a beginner women's running program that starts on Monday. We will see how that goes.
:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm still running and doing pilates. Its funny though.. I wear a heart rate monitor to make sure my HR doesn't get insanely high... well, it sure jumps up a lot faster than it used to... if I'm running w/DH we have to walk occasionally.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I haven't gotten a heart rate monitor yet, but my trainer insists on it. She said - and I've seen this echoed in other places - that pregnant women should keep their heartrate below 150. I thought I'd read 160, but I have no problem being conservative. I'm going to the gym still for an hour of cardio 4 days a week, strength training 2 days, and trying to be good about my abs & push-ups. Has anyone ever heard any ab work contra-indicated for pregnancy? Just curious - I have not, but wondered.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've heard pregnant women shouldn't get their heartrate above 140... which is just silly, if you were an avid exerciser before. I work on keeping mine under 160, but that is where i feel comfortable.. i think its more accurate to judge by perceived exertion.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
About heart rate: I'm currently undergoing physical therapy for a leg injury. My physical therapist advised me to stay under 140.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slgt View Post
Has anyone ever heard any ab work contra-indicated for pregnancy? Just curious - I have not, but wondered.
All I've heard is that you shouldn't be on your back for more than 3 minutes or something once you're in the second tri, I think. I think I saw that in a book called Fit to Deliver, which had a bunch of exercises. Or maybe it was another book...they're all running together!

I just got a pilates for pregnancy DVD, which has an ab portion that I plan to do. It got great reviews on Amazon, so I'm thinking it's gotta be pretty good!

·
Registered
694 Posts
snozzberry-- which dvd is it? i was just looking on amazon for pilates pregnancy dvds!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
All I've heard is that you shouldn't be on your back for more than 3 minutes or something once you're in the second tri, I think.
Trust me, if you're on your back too long, you'll know! No clock required!!! When you are too far along to be on your back your body will let you know.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cicely_m View Post
snozzberry-- which dvd is it? i was just looking on amazon for pilates pregnancy dvds!
It's called Pilates During Pregnancy. I ordered it from the seller called "homefitnessdvds" and I got it in just a few days!

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Trust me, if you're on your back too long, you'll know! No clock required!!! When you are too far along to be on your back your body will let you know.
Hehe...good to know! Thanks!

·
Registered
694 Posts
yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of getting, but I'm scared of all the reviews that say it's too hard! I'm normally something like an intermediate pilateser.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I work out with a trainer a couple times a week and cardio the rest of the time. Although it's been weird, I was on holidays when I found out, and not working out. And before we left I was in pain from uber ovulating and wasn't able to do anything. Now I feel like crap and still can't do anything. I'm curious about what I can do, I saw a suggestion for a book, any others?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Oh, heck no. This pregnancy is kicking my butt in the exercise department. Last pregnancy, I had no problems. This one, it's killer. Ds and I used to go outside every single day as much as possible and now that I am pregnant I can't even manage that without feeling fuzzy headed and sick. Not pregnant, there is NO WAY we would be using our central A/C this early in the year but I've already had it rocking for weeks.

Yesterday the extent of my exercise was standing outside in a line for 5 minutes waiting to place an order for ice-cream cones. I thought I was going to faint, I couldn't get back to the car fast enough.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My exercize is trying to keep my boys from killing each other, and believe me, that's a workout. I try to walk instead of drive. I work on a military base, so I do get some walking between buildings and things. I've been wanting to sign up for a a water aerobics class, but the time it's offered isn't convenient. Things should settled down some in the fall for me, schedule-wise, so maybe then.

Kiley

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I've got to ask. How the heck do you find time to exercise with little kids?!? Seriously. I'm just flabbergasted by the idea. I can't pee without kids climbing on me and screaming...
:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.