Mothering Forum banner

I am a Bad, Bad, Mama :(

692 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mac5977 
#1 ·
DS (27 mo) has been getting up between 4:45 and 5:00. I am so pooped that I'm letting all kinds of things go on that I would normally stop. This AM I let him watch more TV then he would get to in a month. We went to McD's for lunch and I let him eat it (you guessed it) in front of the TV. What is wrong with me? Normally we are a park going, healthy eating, make it thought the day with no (or 1) video.
Michele

#2 ·
First, you are NOT a bad mother. You are doing whatever you need to do to maintain everyone's sanity, especially your own. You are taking care of things the best way you can right now. And that's never bad. Second, a couple days of TV and junk food are NOT going to kill anyone. Seriously, its not going to haunt you forever, its just not that big a deal. Yeah, if you lived like that every day of his life, that would be a less healthy choice. But a couple of days isn't a big deal.

It does sound like you could just a break and/or some sleep. Can you find someone to watch him for an afternoon so you can take a nap and get caught up on your sleep? Can your partner take a couple of "morning shifts" for you so you can sleep? Look around and realize that you need to reach out to someone. And then do it. And don't beat yourself up about it -- most of us need a break at some point!

#3 ·
LOL! I hope you don't mind me laughing *with* you. Eating McD's in front of the TV does sound like some kind of trouble I would get into.

My dd occasionally watches too many videos and then it's like she's addicted. The withdrawal is amazing. I know what you're going through in that regard.

I agree with Evan&anna'smom - a couple of days of junk food and tv is not going to do any long-lasting damage. Sounds like you just need a break. I don't know how to help with the 5am waking up thing. Except to say that watching tv is probably quite a reward and maybe an incentive for him to start his day early! kwim? You might be in a vicious feedback loop.

I would try to find a substitute activity or activities for the tv watching. Set up a bunch of play areas before you go to bed, for him to discover when he wakes up. Maybe set up a surprise box for him every night. He gets to open it in the morning instead of tv. You could say "no tv right now, but look! there's a surprise box!"

and in the boxes, don't go and buy new stuff, just put unusual household items in there from the kitchen, for example, or toys he hasn't played with in a long time.

#4 ·
You are NOT a bad mama. I think we all go through times like this . . . when we get a littl lax in our daily activities and rules. It's not a horrible thing and it won't do any long term damage. I like the PP's suggestions for other activities besides TV. I'm going to try the surprise box idea!!

#5 ·
Hugs to you, mama! Don't be too hard on yourself

It's so easy to feel guilty sometimes as parents, but we're all trying our best. I believe stuff like this happens to all of us. You do whatever you need to do to keep your sanity. It's better than getting exhausted and then become frustrated and then take it on the kids. There is nothing wrong with you. You're just a loving mama who cares very much about your child.

When I have moments like this, sometimes I let DD watch her favorite videos. If the weather is good, I let her play in the sand box (not a real sand box, just a big rubbermaid container with sand and lots of sand toys). She can play with it for at least half an hour, so I can get some rest or do yeard work.

Hang in there

#6 ·
Mama2Ethan,
You must be a good mama otherwise you wouldnt feel bad about the t.v and mcd's

I have totally been there many times and it comes with the territory...sometimes we just have to do what ever it takes to keep us going...I have a saying that I tell myself when things just arent going how I would like.."Its not what you do some of the time that really matters, it is what you do most of the time that does".

mamaste'

#7 ·
You are NOT a bad mama!

The only TV DS gets is about 1.5 hours of PBS or a little Wiggles in the morning. And the only reason he gets this is b/c he typically wakes at 6am-and many days lately it's been 5:15 or 5:30.

You are doing just fine, mama! I wouldn't get too entrenched in the routine of these things, but a little ease now and then is okay in my book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.