Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok mama's I need some help please.

DS has been in daycare for 3 weeks now. He doesn't sleep there. He has never been a good sleeper but will normally go down for at least 45-60 minutes when we are home. Our DCP tells me he sleeps maybe 20 min if that.

So by the time we get home he is exhausted and always falls asleep nursing. I don't want him taking a nice cozy nap because then he won't get to bed till late. I have tried a few different things:

1. let him nap till he gets up.
2. I let him nap for an hour then wake him at 6pm.
3. I don't let him nap.

All 3 scenarios do not play out well. If I let him nap how he wants, he doesn't go down till midnight or so and that is not ok with me. I have to get up at 6:30am plus wake up all night to feed him (we nurses every hour at night). If I wake him up after an hour he is GRUMPY and won't go back to sleep until 10pm. If I don't let him sleep, he is GRUMPY but will pass out for the night around 7pm .

He is almost in a non stop tantrum from the time we get home till he passes out. Nothing can make him happy. It's very hard on my nerves (especially after dealing with my job all day).

I miss my sweet little boy and the time we used to spend together. Now I find that I am dreading going home because I have to deal with this.

What do I do?

My perfect scenario would be to come home and play happily for an hour, have dinner, do bath time, read a book then put him in the wrap to sleep. This was our routine before daycare.

I am so sad
Just writing this has me in tears. I want him to be happy with the little time we have together and I need some peace too.

· Registered
3,471 Posts
this is so hard. we have had our fair share of nap problems at daycare. you're right, it totally puts a damper on your evening with your LO when they're tired and cranky and miserable

i'd suggest talking through with the DCP how she is getting DC down and why he might be waking. would white noise help? a darker room? etc., etc.

of course, take my advice with a grain of salt. i just had my contract terminated for being high maintenance and asking lots of questions, so...

but i really would see if something could be shifted slightly so he'd nap a little longer. is he on one nap or two?

· Registered
2,010 Posts
My DD did that as well when we first started daycare. She was having fun playing with the kids but wasn't really comfortable enough to nap. Around a month in she turned the corner and now naps longer there than she will at home. Give it time maybe??

· Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post

i'd suggest talking through with the DCP how she is getting DC down and why he might be waking. would white noise help? a darker room? etc., etc.

of course, take my advice with a grain of salt. i just had my contract terminated for being high maintenance and asking lots of questions, so...

but i really would see if something could be shifted slightly so he'd nap a little longer. is he on one nap or two?
I have talked to the DCP and she said she holds him the whole time he naps. If she puts him down, he wakes up. I think he is just nervous about sleeping in this new place. He is only on one nap now. Normally around 11am he naps for an hour at home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
My DD did that as well when we first started daycare. She was having fun playing with the kids but wasn't really comfortable enough to nap. Around a month in she turned the corner and now naps longer there than she will at home. Give it time maybe??
I think time will help. Maybe he will start to adjust in the next couple weeks and relax a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.