Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss as what to do with my baby while I try to do some work with the older kids! Lately he has just made it impossible for me to sit with them for 5 minutes to go over something. And it isn't like it is everyday. We do "school" work 3 times a week, about 1-1 1/2 hours each day, and not even all at once. I have baught him coloring books, and made up sheets for him like bro and Sis, but still he is making me crazy. He sits at the table with us, in my lap or in his seat. We talk to him, I play with him.
I don't know what to do. Does anyone have kids and a toddler (he is 2 now) and what do you do to keep from going insane!?????

H

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
ah, the joys of homeschooling with a toddler!

If your older kids are game you can always have one of them play with the 2 year old in another room or outside, while you are working with the other one. Then they can switch. My kids always liked this arrangement because it added a little spice and a break from whatever sit down work they were doing with me. It can be frustrating when you are in the middle of something, but in the long run it helps the kids to understand that meeting the needs of little ones is important, even when it isn't always convienent.

It helps to be flexible and creative, as it sounds like you are!

You can always take advantage of nap time, evenings when dad is home to help, or (heaven forbid) put in a half hour video tape for the little one.

Good luck, I know it isn't easy, but this too shall pass!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like life at our house... My two year old son is a terror when we do "school work" as well. he will color with us for a little while and listen to read alouds (as long as they are stories, not nonfiction) for a little while, but eventually he does get bored. i have actually put away some of his favorite toys (matchbox cars and miniature animal) and I take those out when he has reached his limit. Frequently, he will play with the little animals for an hour or longer (although I can't count on that). I am also thinking about getting a small indoor trampoline and a hop-on ball so that he can use up some of his energy while we work. My older girls can't focus if I put on a video (they want to watch, too), and I forbid naps (bedtime is hard enough!). Hope this helps; I can't wait to hear some other ideas!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
This has got to be the hardest part of homeschooling.Having an older child wok with the youngest while the other older child is doing school work seems to work best. Also toys, leap pad is a favotie around here, games etc . . .that can only be played with while you are doing school seem to help some kids. Give him a mission (go find ***** for me would ya?) . And sometimes you children just have to learn to work around a toddler (working through distractionis a good skill to have :LOL). Do the best you can. this isonly for a season.

i gather your toddler no longer naps huh? If he does definitely take advantage of that.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
the problem with somehting too fun is that my older dd starts thinking "well this blows, she gets playdough (video, whatever) and i get math
"

What every you do you may want to make it out of sight of your schooling child.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My youngest is a very high need child who was born with significant health challenges. While I am everyday reminded that it's a miracle he is alive, he does make homeschooling a challenge for me and my oldest child.

We focus on having a daily and weekly rhythm. We've worked together over the past few years to get this all working well enough that I'm mostly happy with how our lives are going.

In the mornings, we have circle time, nature walks, play dates, read alouds, baking, German, movement exercises, sports, art, and building projects. (Not all of that on any one day, of course!) The bulk of our academic work happens while my youngest is napping. Also, my older son is learning quickly to be an independent learner. I've also learned how to get him going, check on the younger child and play a bit, and go back and forth.

This past year, we've made three improvements to our lifestyle of learning:

* my husband now works each evening from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. because he takes 4 hours off most mornings or late afternoons to help out

* we have a babysitter who comes for 2 to 4 hours regularly each week -- I thought I was going to use this time to spend one-on-one time with each boy, alternatively, but I gleefully and selfishly spend this time hiking and otherwise lazing about

* I've settled down. I don't need to be perfect. My children are happy and healthy. This is enough. This is everything in some ways. My sons have a lifetime to learn all of his prepositions, but each day, one by one, to experience the warmth of family and to feel honored for who they are. I reach out more and have more play dates. I've realized that writing one creative sentence and enjoying it is far better than a mediocre, uninspired 30-60 minutes trying to fill a page. I let my husband help a lot now. My sons are doing great -- academically and as people -- and I'm so much happier. I don't want to be impatient about my youngest's toddlerhood (though I'll be thrilled when he stops hitting me).

Many seasoned homeschoolers say that having a babe/tot is the tougest part of homeschooling. On rough days, it's good to get out and collect rocks/leaves/dirt clods. If the situation is really despairing, I'd encourage you to find a kindred spirit among the many, many other moms having the same challenge. Maybe you can do a gentle co-op -- sort of child swap -- for a day or two here and there or each week.

One day we will be wistful for feisty, chubby tots who wreak chaos on our days.

teastaigh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.