Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contractions started about 10 min apart around 2pm today- by 5pm ish they were less than 5 min apart so we went up to the hospital to meet the midwife as my prior labors have lasted 2-6 hrs max - ctrx were 4 min apart at best and strong (but there was no pressure way down low) - I was 3 cm dialated and 75% effaced but the baby is posterior with his back to my left - babys heartbeat was good and strong even through the nasty contractions (start off hard, peak, then followed by a less strong wave) so there is no concern about him, we (dh, me, midwife) don't want interventions unless the baby is struggling so she sent us home to walk and do some pelvic tilts and rest up for the real deal - my lower back is really aching now

I sat with my legs spread apart and leaning forward during dinner in hopes that he would rotate a bit but to no avail - I can still feel his knees and feet on my right side after a contraction

any other good suggestions for getting baby in the most optimal postion asap? My 2nd dd was born posterior and it HURT giving birth to her (sans epidural, etc) - I am starting to tire physically from the strength and frequency of the contractions but don't want to give in to the pitocin/epidural just because I am worn out by tomorrow morning if this pattern continues

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
You could try getting on your hands and knees, I hear that works! You could try spinningbabies.com also. I've heard that getting on a birthing ball and doing a hula movement with your hips, I read that helps labor progress quicker (I don't know if it helps posterior labor go faster.)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'm guessing you're spending a lot of time on hands and knees now?

If I were your doula, here's what I'd probably be advising you to do...

1. drink a glass (or 2) of red wine. eat some bland foods. Take a bath.

2. No matter how hard it is, TRY to rest/sleep, even if it's just in spurts inbetween contractions. You can't tell at this point if you're in for a quick labor or in for the long haul, so it can't hurt to be well rested. I can't stress this one enough. If it turns out you're in labor all night, you will need some rest at this early point in the night. If it hurts to lay down and you can't find a comfortable position, try leaning forward on a birth ball or onto the couch/bed with a TON of pillows under you.

3. When you are up and about, find the most comfortable OP-turning position and relax into it. (kneeling, leaning forward, hands and knees, side laying to make the heavy back part of the baby's head turn) Babies turn better the looser and more relaxed your muscles are, which is why resting and letting go of tension during contractions works. Flutter your lips a lot. Lick your lips during contractions. Tongue kiss.
Suck on your bottom lip. Suck on a lollipop or popsicle.

ETA: dance.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
If someone you know has a pool or hot tub you can get into, you might want to explore laboring in the water for a while. It can take a lot of the strain off of you, allowing you to relax, while still giving you the freedom of movement you need so the baby can turn around. Your bathtub might not be big enough.

Keep us posted! ELV!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think we have the same midwife! I say that because there's only one in middle Georgia. How cool.
My baby is in the same position and I'm at 3cm too. I've tried rocking on all 4's in the tub and it seems to help...until he wakes up and moves back the way he was!!! My daughter was born in this position and I delivered with pitocin and no epidural. It wasn't all that bad, but I'm not anxious to do it again. I don't think I would have been able to do it without my midwife though.
I'm jealous of your regular contractions. Mine go 15 minutes, 30 minutes, then 20 minutes! I'm trying to hang around at home too. I was the nut that called too much last time. So this time, I'll be the nut that delivers in the car because I don't want to bother anyone.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
do chair lunges(put your right or left leg on a chair seat and lunge in that direction) in the direction that is most comfortable when you do it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shutterbug711 View Post
I think we have the same midwife! I say that because there's only one in middle Georgia. How cool.
That is cool - I bet we do have the same midwife - her initials are JW right
How long did you wait with your dd to try the pitocin - I am so tired already I can't imagine laboring like this for another 24 hrs or so and still have energy to spare - I everything suggested above and did sleep (on my left side with pillows between my legs) for about 1 1/2 hrs after listening to a hypnobirthing cd (deepening) which was awesome but now my shoulder and lower back ache - ugh

·
Registered
64 Posts
Last time, we did the pitocin because my water broke and labor was not starting. Now, I've been stuck in the prodromal labor for 2 weeks and I'm just not getting any rest whatsoever. My muscles are so sore from the constant action. She said in one week we'll break my water if I don't go sooner. Then I'll just walk my way to active labor. We're trying to avoid pitocin this time.
Did you deliver in WR before? I did and hated it! I could go on and on about that! And it was 6 years ago. I like the other hospital much better.
I almost called JW at 5 yesterday too. I wasn't sure if I was leaking fluids or not. I was too embarassed to get a sitter and drive all that way. I'm glad I waited it out.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
squats can also be helpful.

I feel your pain. My kiddo is posterior too and it is painful, but not delivery painful cause babe won't engage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.