Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would LOVE to start our own Organic garden. This is all new for me.
I have asked my dad to help us build a greenhouse this yr. When should it be ready for? Are all veggies and herbs ok to grow in there or do some have to be outside? When do we start planting? What can you grow in the house?
HELP! hahaha. No really. Help.
I am going to look it up as well.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Welcome to the addition we call gardening.

So, do you have a designated garden spot in mind? Ideas about what you would like to grow and eat?

Tell us what you are starting with...

And yes, April 25th would be the earliest date you would want to set out seeds or transplants of cold sensitive plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, etc). But you could start lots of other veggies sooner -- peas like cool weather and potatoes, leeks and onions can go in a few weeks before your last frost date.

Early spring is also an excellent time to plant trees and perennials -- rhubarb, fruit trees, strawberries, berry canes and shrubs.

So, what does your garden area look like?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we have a lg enough yard. Our garden would be planted in the backyard so on the East side. (Where the sun comes up)
Would a greenhouse be better? Less bugs and weather?

I would like to grow...

potatoes
onions
carrots
lettuce
spinach
peppers

Oh and tomatoes.

We have a tonne of squirrels and birds here so maybe a greenhouse would be a good idea! lol

Fruits could be... strawberries

I can't think of any other ones we can grow around here. We go apple and blueberry picking in the summer.

I would also like basil, oregano, mint and parsley herbs. Should I do those inside?

Any other ideas on stuff to plant? Oh garlic. We love garlic!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well, my last frost date is May 10 and I start planting out in late March (peas). As soon as your soil has dried enough to work, you can start some things outside.

Are you planning to start things from seed inside, or will you buy established seedlings (pricier, but simpler at first) when it is time to move them outside? If you are starting from seed, your onions, spinach, lettuce and peppers could start now.

A greenhouse (I have one) will not keep out birds and squirrels during the warmer parts of the day - you'll need the vents open and birds will fly in and squirrels will climb in, lol. Greenhouses are great for extending the season though. In your zone you could probably do things like lettuce, carrots, spinach, and broccoli year round in a greenhouse. But, you could still have a really awesome garden without one, and they are pricey. I wouldn't focus on that for this spring (you could be planting things outside in the next few weeks)...but rather build over the summer for fall if you want one.

Other stuff to plant - well, snap peas & green beans are great for beginners. As for fruit, you could grow watermelons for this year, and if you're willing to wait a couple of years, you could most likely do blueberries and raspberries (they don't usually produce for 2-3 years after planting, but they're low maintenance plants once established).

However, you might consider prioritizing a bit for your first year - you're taking on a lot for the first year!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, you are a wealth of info!

Can I ask you something?
Can you pick some stuff from what I said and I will go from there. I guess starter ones would make more sense. I can't choose.

I do want to start inside. So I will start the exact ones you tell me to.

Which ones do you think would be best and I will do it. Oh please wise teacher...guide me.

Then I will look up info on planting those specific things you suggested.

Thank you SO much for your help!!! I needed a starting point. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Wow, I've never been an expert before. This is a new one for me, lol.

Here's a great site for information on individual plants:
www.gardenguides.com

It will tell you which plants can be transplanted, which can handle a frost, etc.

Personally, for the first year, I'd minimize the indoor seed starting, especially since you'll be able to work outside in the next few weeks (weather permitting, lol...)

I don't actually think your list of veggies is that long, just building a greenhouse and starting everything from seed the first year in addition to establishing the garden itself might be a bit ambitious.

If you want to give it a try, I'd go ahead and start lettuce and maybe your herbs now. Those are fairly easy-going plants and would probably do ok for a few weeks in a sunny south-facing window. Eventually you'll want grow lights, but I'd leave that for next year. You'll want to buy pepper and tomato plants later in the season (after April 25 for you).

Once your ground can be worked (anytime in the next few weeks - wait for the ground to thaw and be damp feeling (like a wrung out sponge) not wet. Puddles mean you need to wait) go ahead and till your space, put in some compost (you can buy this if you don't have any yet) and plant carrots, onions, oregano, spinach & lettuce out. You may get a frost, it's ok, these guys can take a frost. Get onion sets rather than onion seeds (any garden center will have them) for an earlier harvest.

After your last frost (April 25th) get some pepper, tomato, and strawberry plants, and harden them off. Hardening off means slowly exposing them to outdoor conditions in shorter increments (a few hours at a time, increasing over a week or so). Transplant anything left inside out in the same way Remember that strawberries are a perennial, so pick somewhere that you want them to stay for awhile! Also remember that it takes a couple of years to get berries from a new strawberry plant, so planting them is really prep for next year... This is also the time to start basil seeds in the garden.

If you want to harvest continually over the season, replant lettuce, spinach, & onions every couple of weeks (just a small planting each time). That way you don't get all your harvest at once. Keep in mind that Lettuce and Spinach will probably not grow well after about June - they hate heat. Start planting them again in August and you'll have some for the cooler fall weather.

I know absolutely nothing about garlic or parsley (never done those) so I'll have to leave that to others, lol.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hi,

I just wanted to pop in and say make sure your ground temp is up to 50 degrees before putting in any tomatoes, peppers, etc. I can gaurantee April 25 even though its the last frost date means you need to wait until the ground warms up which is about a month after. We plant here on April 20th, but it gets pretty hot here. Also plant varieties that don't take long to get to maturity. I think there are a few seed sites out there that just sell varieties for your climate. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Forgot to add. Garlic needs to be planted in the fall and then you harvest it around May or June. Universally garlic is started in October.

Last year I just planted parsley out in the garden and it came up fine. You could probably start it in a greenhouse or inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.