Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I sit 39 weeks 2 days pregnant waiting for my MW office to call and let me know when my induction in scheduled. I feel so guilty because I don't need to have one technically until 40 weeks 4 days (some sort of diabetes statistic on still births). I. am. just. so. done.

My MW is only even willing to do it because of the diabetes (pre pregnancy) and because he is measuring large which is probably from the diabetes.

Last week I was a 1cm and 60% effaced, she swept my membranes and got some good contractions going. I thought I was so going into labor and then everything died out. When I went today I had made NO CHANGE. I almost broke down in her office. With my first, I never dilated, never made any change and eventually had to be induced. I am just thinking my body can't do it. I have lost all faith in my uterus.

I work with kids on the autism spectrum and have to work the week of the 18th of August (nothing I can do about it) This is A MONTH AWAY. I am so afraid to wait longer and get to spend LESS time with my newborn before having to leave him. (not for the whole day but still.

I know I am still 1 week and 2 days until I have to give birth and I feel terrible about scheduling an induction but I am starting to feel it is more importnat for me to spend as much uninterrupted time on the outside than keep hoping my body will do its thing.

I know my due date is accurate because I was artificially inseminated. He is well baked.

Am i making the worst choice ever?

·
Registered
267 Posts
No real advice, but hugs. I'm just a couple days ahead of you-- and also needed an induction last time-- and this part is really hard. I've thought about asking for an induction too, and I think a lot of women do. I'm sure you'll make the decisions that are best for you and your family-- try to be gentle with yourself in the process. One way or another, we'll have our babies in our arms soon.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Please know that I say this without judgement, and only you can know what's best for yourself and your baby, but--I would wait. You'll have your baby in a maximum of 9 days regardless. Your baby might need some (or all) of those 9 days to finish growing on his/her own timetable. And you have come this far already--you can do a few more days. Induced labor is much harder on the baby than spontaneous labor, not to mention more painful for you. If you can go into labor naturally it's healthier for everyone.

I'm 39+5 now and OMG I am feeling the desperation too! So I'm really sympathetic.

There are other more natural things you can try to help things along before resorting to cervadil, pit, breaking your waters, etc. Nipple stimulation with a breast pump, have sex, walk a lot, acupuncture, herbs, the dreaded castor oil, sweeping your membranes. All of those things would be safer to try first before resorting to medical induction.

If you do decide on an induction earlier than the 40+4 date, definitely determine your score on the Bishop scale first: http://www.maternityacupressure.com/bishop-score.html The irony of induction is that it works best when it's least needed--if you score high on the Bishop scale it means you're likely to go into labor on your own very soon anyway, in which case you might as well wait. If you score low and attempt an induction anyway before your body is ready, it will be way harder on both you and your baby and much more likely to end in a c section. For me, the risks of a too-early induction and the "cascade of interventions" are just too high.

Best wishes whatever you decide!

PS. Your body WILL do its thing, if you let it. Remember that 40 weeks is an average--anything between 38-42 being normal!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think making the best decision for you & your family is the most mothering thing you can do. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I've got an induction scheduled for Thursday, and honestly I'd probably go in earlier at this point if they'd let me. I am so sick of being uncomfortable and anxious and exhausted. With DD I felt great when I was pregnant and I probably could have gone two weeks overdue without any thought of induction, but this pregnancy is just so different and I am barely hanging on. And as nice as it would be to have another natural birth, I don't think it's a great idea to lose my mind in pursuit of something that might not happen anyway. As far as I'm concerned, a healthy happy mother is a pretty important part of having a healthy family and a healthy babe. So I've got zero guilt about it.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

Please know that I say this without judgement, and only you can know what's best for yourself and your baby, but--I would wait. You'll have your baby in a maximum of 9 days regardless. Your baby might need some (or all) of those 9 days to finish growing on his/her own timetable. And you have come this far already--you can do a few more days. Induced labor is much harder on the baby than spontaneous labor, not to mention more painful for you. If you can go into labor naturally it's healthier for everyone.

I'm 39+5 now and OMG I am feeling the desperation too! So I'm really sympathetic.

There are other more natural things you can try to help things along before resorting to cervadil, pit, breaking your waters, etc. Nipple stimulation with a breast pump, have sex, walk a lot, acupuncture, herbs, the dreaded castor oil, sweeping your membranes. All of those things would be safer to try first before resorting to medical induction.

If you do decide on an induction earlier than the 40+4 date, definitely determine your score on the Bishop scale first: http://www.maternityacupressure.com/bishop-score.html The irony of induction is that it works best when it's least needed--if you score high on the Bishop scale it means you're likely to go into labor on your own very soon anyway, in which case you might as well wait. If you score low and attempt an induction anyway before your body is ready, it will be way harder on both you and your baby and much more likely to end in a c section. For me, the risks of a too-early induction and the "cascade of interventions" are just too high.

Best wishes whatever you decide!

PS. Your body WILL do its thing, if you let it. Remember that 40 weeks is an average--anything between 38-42 being normal!
I wonder if the book in the link really works before I spend 29 dollars on it but I am getting desperate!

As far as induction, I'd try natural induction techniques first (not castor oil or herbs) before I resorted to medical induction but that's me and everyone has to do what's right for them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried every natural method besides castor oil out there and nothing happened. My poor nipples feel like I have a newborn they have been stimulated so much! I am scheduled for tomorrow and we are super pumped!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.