Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son started KG last august at a school we feel is the best one in our area!
Well because of so many people losing their homes, they don't have as many students. So they are closing some schools down and moving the kids to the remaining schools. My son's school is not closing but now they want to move him to one a little closer to here!
he is going to be so heart broken about this!

I am not taking no for an answer. I send out e-mails to the superintendent and his school principle.
I do not see how it is fair to yank kids out of a school that is not closing, moving them to a different one so that others can go to that school. They were there to begin with.

My son absolutely LOVES the school he is in. The other school he'll have to go to sucks, its not a good school and not in a safe area! I am so pissed!!

There's gotta be a way to have him continue there. If that means we have to drive him to school and not use the bus. Hey, we'll do that!

I am really sad for my son!!

We won't tell him anything until its all really set. And we WILL attend the public hearing about this in January.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
I just wanted to say I would be sad, too. I've heard of a district that tried to do this and failed b/c the parents organized against it. Sorry that the location is escaping me, but I think it was DC, and I would have read it in the Washington Post.

Good luck!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'd do a bunch of research and see what the existing rules are about where kids are to go. Then I'd be very frank at the hearing that the needs of the child should come first, and moving kids around who are settled and doing well isn't in anyone's best interest, especially the child's. Good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
We have this sort of thing happen around here every several years. It is called "redistricting." Basically when the population changes in one area of town for whatever reason - people move, or a new housing development is put in for example - they have to redraw the maps so resources are fairly distributed and schools are fairly populated.

Where I come from parents NEVER win this argument. They kick and scream and yell and fight. In the end the child is moved. They'll tell you if they let one stay they have to let everyone stay and then they can't solve the problems they are working to resolve.

My cousin spent 5 years at a school and her last year they redistricted and she had to go to another school. My aunt got a lawyer involved and still got no where. In the end she had to change schools.

I wish you luck! I would be just as upset and up in arms as you. I hope you have better outcomes than around here.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wow, that is really awful. I'm so sorry! I know people around our school district buy homes specifically so their child can attend a particular school. I'd be livid if we bought a house and then they changed the boundaries!! I hope it works out for your son.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This happened to my brother in high school. There were 3 high schools in the school district, A, B, and C. Our house was in the attendance area for C, but he had gotten permission to transfer to A. The next year they closed B and revoked all transfers to A so he was going to have to attend C which had a horrid music program and much worse academics (his main reasons for the original transfer). My mom was peeved, tried to fight it but failed. So she put him in a private school instead.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BCFD View Post
Wow, that is really awful. I'm so sorry! I know people around our school district buy homes specifically so their child can attend a particular school. I'd be livid if we bought a house and then they changed the boundaries!! I hope it works out for your son.
Yes, people buy their houses based on the school here as well. But things obviously change! It sure does stink for many people.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
We have this sort of thing happen around here every several years. It is called "redistricting." Basically when the population changes in one area of town for whatever reason - people move, or a new housing development is put in for example - they have to redraw the maps so resources are fairly distributed and schools are fairly populated.

Where I come from parents NEVER win this argument. They kick and scream and yell and fight. In the end the child is moved. They'll tell you if they let one stay they have to let everyone stay and then they can't solve the problems they are working to resolve.

My cousin spent 5 years at a school and her last year they redistricted and she had to go to another school. My aunt got a lawyer involved and still got no where. In the end she had to change schools.

I wish you luck! I would be just as upset and up in arms as you. I hope you have better outcomes than around here.
I've had a similar experience where we live. We bought a house when DS was born and there was a small, excellent elementary school less than half a mile away. We were happy because DS would be able to walk to school and it was close by, etc. Naturally, the year before he started Kindergarten the school district redistricted and decided to close our local school. We were livid, I signed petitions, joined groups, protested, etc... and in the end they closed the school anyway. AND it turns out that they "redistrict" every few years anyway so I anticipate this won't be the first time we get moved, since we are part of the "orphaned" population without a local school. It sucks.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post

here you can apply for a transfer and get 'grandfathered in', i think, tho it might depend on space. i think they may also usually wait until the current kids are out- no NEW kids from that area, but the ones that are in are in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.