Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I am just having a massive allergy attack based on my symptoms. I can't stop sneezing, my sinuses hurt, my mucus is all clear (for over a week), but I am super miserable! I have never had to be on prescription allergy meds because I have never had it this bad! There is something crazy blooming right now (these crazy white flowers are blooming everywhere), and pollen and bad stuff in the air are really bad due to the beautiful weather.

I have now thrown up twice this week from this, and I finally broke down and took meds last night. Dh went down the hall after I threw up this morning and thought I must have been sick down the hall, too. Nope. That was Benji. Now I don't know if we have a random bug that looks like a sinus infection or if we just have so much junk in our stomachs that it is making us sick.

My favorite nose spray (just saline with eucalyptus and menthol) has been discontinued, but I don't think I really should use it pregnant anyway. I usually load up on the aromatherapy stuff to help clear my sinuses, but so much of that stuff is off limits from the pg. Any ideas? I can't drink tea after getting sick from that earlier this week. Think I am going to take a warm bath and go to bed...if I can sleep. I didn't sleep last night from all of this.

I just have to state the obvious. I really hate being sick while pregnant. I would love to just take the generic walmart nyquil (nyquil no longer has the decongestant...what good is it now) and go to bed. As it is, I feel guilty for the 2 doses of "safe" decongestant I have had in the last 12 hours. Yuck!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I was told sudafed was safe to take during pregnancy.. I am not fond of it though even when I am not pregnant. I suppose taking extra vitamin C would be a good idea and of course staying hydrated. I typically tend to just suffer through my allergies but drinking hot tea with lemon and honey helps with the irritation caused by post nasal drip. Hopefully it will pass soon for you I hate feeling miserable with allergies. I'm dreading cottonwood season.
:

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly. It sounds like you might have allergies and a bug at the same time, yuck!

I had a terrible sinus headache yesterday. I think it was even a migraine, and my eyes were watery, stinging, burning, plus I had a runny nose. I dragged my DH to Best Buy and got a new air purifier for our bedroom, as I can't find filters for my old cleaner anymore. The one we picked up has a permanent filter you vacuum out every 3 months. I notice a difference already.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was trying to stay hydrated yesterday because I knew I would take drugs when I got home from my parents' house. Today, I am not able to keep too much liquid stuff down because I just have so much drainage already in my stomach. I really don't think this is a bug though because I threw up both times when I just got a lot of liquids in me. Usually, liquids work to stop me from getting sick when I have a tummy bug. Oh well. Thanks ladies! I've just been doing nothing all day. Never did get that nap so I may go try to take one now that Benji is down for his.

Dh is on this crazy kick today. He ran up to Home Depot (less than a mile away) to look for plants. Usually, I am the crazy "we have to plant this or that" person, but, since I can't really play in the dirt while pg, he has taken on my role. It will be nice to see something other than the dead flowers in our front bed.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Sorry you're feeling so crummy! I hate allergies. In just a matter of weeks, when the trees bud, I'm going to get slammed, too (so now I need to remember this thread, so that if there are any awesome allergy remedies, I can reference them!)

I can't think of a whole lot else that eases the aggravation. Lemon, water, and honey can help any throat roughness from post-nasal drip. Laying down with a cold washcloth on my eyes assists (but doesn't exactly heal) red, irritated eyes. Benedryl is okay, but I know it makes me turn into a total zombie...

Clara

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dh called my parents (we hung out with them all day yesterday) to see if anyone else is sick. He was worried because Benji has thrown up twice today. My mom helped ease all that worry by telling me that my sis and I would always throw up when we had sinus drainage. I am pretty sure that is what is going on with both of us. Dh is still worried that he will "catch" something from us though. Yep. That is what I am dealing with now. Luckily I was able to tear Roar, Benji's trusty sidekick lion, out of his hands to give him a very hot bath in the washer. I'm starting to feel better. Perhaps it is because I got so much of that stuff out of my system. Who knows!

I have taken 2 doses of sudafed, and that is working pretty nicely. I can't take benadryl at all! It makes me super loopy so I have only taken it once...in college...before a calc class...bad results!!! Let's just say that I was answering all those retorical questions that college profs are so famous for asking.

Thanks again for all the help! I actually have more liquids down me, and they seem to be holding. I hate the beginning of spring...and daylight savings!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.