Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
This is why Safe Haven laws need to be publized more and expanded to include more drop off areas.
Don't those laws apply only to very young newborns? It sounds like the baby in question was a bit older.

I am very sorry for all those involved and happy to hear the baby sounds "fine."

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlla
Better than a dumpster but terrible still, the parent definitely should have left the baby at a hospital.
All the hospitals here have cameras. Everyone knows which bus stops have no cameras.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornflower_3
Very sad that her caregiver/parent/who ever, felt this was the best option, but maybe they really were not able or willing to care for the baby.
South Minneapolis is in Hennepin County. Government programs are closed, and babies born after May 2004 are not eligible to recieve assistance.
: It's insane.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
South Minneapolis is in Hennepin County. Government programs are closed, and babies born after May 2004 are not eligible to recieve assistance.
: It's insane.
Now THAT is criminal.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
This is such a horrible, sad story. It sounds like there were many factors into this story; the lack of help for the mother, desperation, ext. It is so sad! I hope that baby finds a loving adoptive home.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
It sounds almost like the woman that found her would be interested in caring for her. I secretly hope that's how it turns out, because like she said, she was there for a reason.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
thankgoodness for that woman walking by.

Quote:
South Minneapolis is in Hennepin County. Government programs are closed, and babies born after May 2004 are not eligible to recieve assistance. It's insane.
wow. that IS insane.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
We have drop-offs but they are only advertised for newborns...

I am glad she left the child in a place where she was likely to be found, better than some alternatives. Who knows what this mother was suffering from. (not that I think the child should be immediately placed back with the mother but still the woman made a better choice than some, personally I am just glad the child was found by a responsible/safe person)

I wish people would just leave the kids at Children's Hospital. Most of the time the authorities figure out who the parent is anyway and it would seem like a better position even legally to leave the child at a medical facility. Either way the cops are called.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This is just terrible.....but like another poster said, I am glad she wasn't left in a dumptser to die, or killed first.

Poor baby

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
It's interesting how people assume it's the mother who abandoned the child.

I'm so glad everything turned out well for her (all things considered).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts