Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DS seems unphased. He is 21 months, and woke up with lots of crusties in his right eye. He has super eyelashses so it took away to get the gunk out. he doesn't seem in pain and isn't itching it at this point. no injury happened that i know of...<br><br>
the eye itself looks normal, but the SKIN UNDER the eye is red and swollen, like "bags" but only under the one eye that had crust discharge (yellow).<br><br>
Any ideas? i'm at a loss and don't have very great health care in the country i'm in so i don't know what to do...

·
Registered
219 Posts
The yellow goop is usually a good sign of pinkeye (conjuctivitis). The eye isnt always red with pink eye, but there is usually discharge (which causes the crustiness you are talking about) Do you still breastfeed? i always just squirted some breastmilk in my ds eye when he got it, and it cleared it right up. If not, i think there are drops that you can get from a dr.

·
Registered
219 Posts
here is something i found online when i googled pink eye<br><br>
The bacteria that most commonly cause infectious pink eye are staphylococci, pneumococci, and streptococci. Bacterial pink eye symptoms include<br><br>
* eye pain,<br><br><br>
* swelling,<br><br><br>
* redness, and<br><br><br>
* a moderate to large amount of discharge, usually yellow or greenish in color.<br><br>
The discharge commonly accumulates after sleeping. Affected children may awaken most unhappy that their "eyes are stuck shut," requiring a warm washcloth applied to the eyes to remove the discharge.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I have seasonal allergies and often find my eyes look like that the morning after an allergy attack that had me itching and rubbing my eyes a lot. I often have to pick the crusties off of my lashes one at a time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It sounds like either allergies or some type of conjunctivitis. Use a warm compress to gently remove the crusties. If you have a tear free baby shampoo, that is also very helpful. You might want to go to see an Optometrist if you are concerned or he is in pain, but it's not absolutely necessary. If it is conjunctivitis, it's very contagious, so be extra vigilant with hand washing and not touching his eye.<br><br>
My eye looks like that when I've had a serious allergy attack though. I've woken up with it crusted shut. It happens when I get animal dander from a pet that is not my own in my eye. Similisan allergy drops help immensely.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm....i think i'll wait another day, but thanks for the replies. both his eyes are crusty. he's 21 months so quite unhappy when i try and help his eyes. There is no reddness on the scelera (white part) itself tho...he has a minor cold, maybe its just a cold thing?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Yes, viruses can also cause the conjunctivitis. So wait it out a few days before going to the doc for drops.<br>
If it were pink eye it would be incredibly itchy and uncomfortable for him. He'd let you know!

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I would make some chamomile tea and wash his eye with it and a clean cotton ball several times a day.<br><br>
I suspect some virus, so I would give him cod liver oil.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
i have seen children with a cold have that goopy eye thing, i thought at the time it was pink eye but it was just from a cold. my older son had one eye that gooped when he was a few weeks old, it was a clogged tear duct & we took care of it by putting a warm washcloth on it and then 'milking' the tear duct several times a day. i have also heard that goopy eye can be a sign of ear infection. i second the breastmilk rec.<br>
nak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts