Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got our excersaucer back from a friend and my almost 2 yo thinks it is the neatest toy. She likes to climb in and play there for several minutes at a time and I think it is great. She needs help getting out but she can crawl in just fine. It is hard for her and sometimes she gets both legs in the same hole and that is uncomfortable for her. When that happens I am right there to help her make the adjustment.<br><br>
After she crawled in on her own twice, she decided she couldn't do it anymore and she throws a fit when I won't help her. Frankly, I know she can do it, I'll help her stay safe, and I'll help her out, but I think that she should get in there herself. She strands there convinced she can't do it. I feel terrible for her and I don't know how to encourage her. We've spent the past year teaching her how to ask for help and now she's asking and all I can think to say is "you can do it," "don't give up" and so forth.<br><br>
How do you deal with the I-can't-do-it's?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I usually say, "Oh, sure you can." Then I do something else. I will also say things like, "You'll be able to do it later" or "Have you tried yet?" I started out as a very interfering mom, always ready to leap to do things for my kids. Now I sit back with a little knitting project that I'm absorbed in, and let them find their own way. It really helps me to have something besides the children to focus on. They are safe, but I'm not shadowing their every move, either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always been the type of parent that encourages exploration, and my daughter is usually the kind that tries anything. But occasionally I do hear the "I can't do it" whine. I have tried ignoring it or offering only verbal encouragement, but that doesn't seem to be what she needs in that situation. I have found that the best thing to do is to offer some concrete assistance - "Here, what happens if you put your foot there? Do you want to hold my hand?" It usually only takes a little bit of attention to make her feel safe and ready to explore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts