Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past month my 6 month old has gone from sleeping through the night or getting up once to waking up 6 or 7 times every night. I am literally getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. I'm not the mother I want to be. I don't even feel safe to drive a car. He's had a consistent bedtime and routine since he was a newborn. I don't know what else to do. I even borrowed a playpen and have tried putting him in there at night, but that just makes it 100x worse. Please help. I wouldn't mind getting up once or twice at night, but I feel like waking up every 45 minutes at 6 months old is excessive. I nurse in bed and am sometimes able to sleep while nursing, but sometimes I just can't get comfy or he's too wiggly.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts

Something happens around 6 or 7 months that a lot of babies do this. BUT, it doesn't seem to last too long. Work on finding ways to get comfortable enough to sleep and hang in there. This too shall pass.

-Angela

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna

Something happens around 6 or 7 months that a lot of babies do this. BUT, it doesn't seem to last too long. Work on finding ways to get comfortable enough to sleep and hang in there. This too shall pass.

-Angela
:

Teething, growth spurt, developmental leaps (learning to sit, crawl), etc. play havoc with sleep at around 6 months. It will get better!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a possible growth spurt. I know when my daughter had some restless nights like you describe, I would just take off my shirt when we went to bed. Sometimes I would wake up with her nursing, but we did sleep better for the time being, and she was happy I was more easily accessible. lol

This too shall pass! I hope you get more rest soon.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You are in good company
What a wonderful and responsive mama to be meeting his very real needs like you are. As the others have said, it does pass...I hope sooner rather than later! It's cliche, but try, try, try to rest when he rests during the day. Even closing your eyes is better than nothing. It won't always be like this

·
Registered
616 Posts
it probably doesn't help much right now to hear it will pass but IT WILL PASS!!. Everytime I got to the point where I thought I really can't do this anymore it would pass a couple weeks later. I agree with the above mama's. Teething , growth spurt etc. Good luck and I hope it it short lived for you. My dd went through getting up to nurse every hour at 18 months so I know it is difficult but things generally pass. good luck

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Oh my gosh, we are going through the same thing! My former good sleeper (hey, to me a six month old getting up twice a night to eat and going right back out is totally acceptable and that's where we were. Sometimes she'd just get up once and occasionally she'd even sleep right through) just LOST it about three weeks ago. At first it was hard to get her down, then she started waking up a lot in the early morning (between 3 and 6) and then it was just every hour, all night long. She IS teething. I'm putting the Little Teethers on her gums as often as allowed and it seems to give her relief. I also keep telling myself it won't last forever, those teeth have to come out eventually. I can SEE them. Last night she FINALLY had a good night. I'm hoping we're working back into her old sleep schedule. I'm hoping we're near the end.

At first I tried making all kinds of changes and now I'm just doing what I have to to get by. If she'll nap in my arms, then in my arms it is. If she'll sleep ON me, then fine. We'll deal with it later. I just need SLEEP. And meanwhile, as he's not getting up with her, my wonderful husband is picking up the slack.

Just want you to know I can relate. It's MISERABLE.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is such a small thing it sounds silly to suggest it, but my nights improved hugely when I figured out I needed to cram a pillow in the small of my back if I wanted to lie on my side and nurse ds. For some reason it just allowed my whole body to relax enough to go back to sleep while he was latched on. Of course, this does nothing about a squirmy baby.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollin
In the past month my 6 month old has gone from sleeping through the night or getting up once to waking up 6 or 7 times every night. I am literally getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. I'm not the mother I want to be. I don't even feel safe to drive a car. He's had a consistent bedtime and routine since he was a newborn. I don't know what else to do. I even borrowed a playpen and have tried putting him in there at night, but that just makes it 100x worse. Please help. I wouldn't mind getting up once or twice at night, but I feel like waking up every 45 minutes at 6 months old is excessive. I nurse in bed and am sometimes able to sleep while nursing, but sometimes I just can't get comfy or he's too wiggly.

You can try swaddling him and putting him in a baby swing if you have one.
I dont have any other advice, as my 18 month old is a worse sleeper than your 6mo

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It is so incredibly hard when this happens. I know personally as a small woman with small breasts, I could never really sleep while nursing... Besides, I don't know how great of a rest you're getting if you are doing that.
How much space is there between you and the baby? I have found in my own life moving away from the baby some (like a foot or two if the bed allows it) or onto a seperate sleep surface entirely will help baby to sleep longer stretches.
Neither of my babies ever had pacifiers either, but in your situation I wouldn't be opposed to buying every single one on the market and trying them....
Ideals are great, sleep is better.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not really addressing the issue of night time sleep, but can you take naps with the baby during the day? I'm thinking it's just a phase, can you kind of ride the wave a bit and let the housework/activities fall by the wayside so you can get some nap time in ? I know that helped me when my daughter was at the all-night-diner sometimes. This way at least you're getting SOME sleep and hopefully the night time sleep will improve.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So sorry to hear about your lack of sleep, Hollin. We have sleep issues in our own house, but we have tried a couple of things that have helped. First, have you read No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley? I know you probably feel as though you are too exhausted to obtain a copy and read a single page, but it is really worth it. I won't list all of the things we have tried and still do, but Pantley gives a lot of practical suggestions for helping co-sleeping babies and mommies sleep better.

The second thing that has worked for us is to have my DH occasionally step in and tend to DS at night. For example, last night, DS woke at 12:30, 2:00, then 3:30. I nursed him at 12:30 and 2:00, but then I seriously doubted that DS was really hungry at 3:30. DH held and then wore DS in the sling until DS fell back asleep. I have heard (and am envious) of some parents who have a grandma or close neighbor come over very early in the morning to "take over" for an hour or two to help the parents (esp. the mommy) get some much needed rest and then get ready for the day.

My prayers are with you! As the other mamas have said, this too shall pass.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
I know this sounds trite but it WILL get better. Please truly believe that. I had so much sleep deprivation between my 2 boys and co-sleepign and teething and fevers, etc that I sometimes felt like my kids would be better off in f/t daycare or w/a different mother.

Whatever you choose to do or not to do, things will improve. My kids are now 3 & 5 and sleep like little rocks for 11 hours/night.

What helped me the most was just to give up; ie. accept. Accept whatever the "crisis" was; ie. learn to love those wiggles. Learn to enjoy the Late Late show as I stayed awake w/a sick kid.

And, having dh do quality trade outs was key, too.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Those times are never fun, but I just try to remind myself that it's all a phase. Things will change at some point. Could be a growth spurt or teething or all sorts of things.

Hang in there - you're not alone

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I totally feel your pain.....I was in the same situation when my dd was about that age. Like others said it will pass....... hang in there and you can come here and get support and just keep telling yourself it won't last forever

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
oh hollin

my first dd was a terrible sleeper. i survived on 3-4 hours of sleep for the first 3 years or so. i remember being in tears many many times thinking i would never make it. i know it doesn't change things ... but really - it DOES pass. what i found helped me was having a good support system to talk to. i didn't have alot of physical support but would you be able to find someone to come over during the day to watch your little one for a couple of hours while you slept? a friend or family member?

during the night i would get up and watched tv and held my daughter while bouncing her around (i think i memorized every infomercial during that 3 year time frame.).

if you can get your husband to get up even once during the night with your babe will help.

hang in there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I remember you from the DIJ board. I'm right there with you on the no sleep thing. It's hard. I seriously start to dread when evening comes b/c then I know it will be time to go to bed soon, and the madness begins.
I read NCSS, and we had 3 really good nights ( she woke at 12ish, DH held her, she woke at 3ish, I fed her, and then slept till 6), but last night she was up 7 times before 2am!
: I never know what kind of night we're going to have.
Right now we're trying to have DH take care of her if she wakes anytime before 3. If she keeps on crying and crying and he can't console her, I will get up with her, but this seems to work. Having a plan like this seems to work mostly just for my relationship with DH. For me, when I've been up half the night and he's laying there sleeping I get so mad at him. And then when I ask for his help in the middle of the night he's reluctant, which makes me mad too. And then there's the fact that I feel like I can't get mad at DD, so I get to be mad at DH then too.
So having this plan in place before we even go to bed makes it easier when she wakes at night. There's no deciding who's turn it is, who needs more sleep, stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm on my second baby who isn't keen on sleep, so I do sympathize. And sometimes, you feel like you're the only mama in the world who is experiencing this, because, of course, everyone you talk to has a baby who slept through the night at 2 months and never looked back.
:

I know from my DD that it does pass...probably not as quickly as I'd like in my more sleep deprived moments, but it does. It seems like forever right now, but my DD has been sleeping through the night since she was 16 months, and sometimes I miss our nighttime cuddles. Of course, when I'm up with DS four times a night, I don't feel so sentimental....

Rest if and when you can. Let everything else go for awhile, and just focus on caring for yourself and the baby.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna

-Angela
Yeah, right! My 7 month old has been waking up for the past 2 weeks now at 3 am for a feeding. Prior to that he was sleeping fine, so I'm sure it's a growth spurt and the teething....eventually I'll get some sleep

1 - 19 of 19 Posts