Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited!!!

On sunday morning I caught my first baby!

Tonight is the fist time I was really excited about doing it. While it was happening I was really cool and felt a bit distant. All I could think was how the father should have his hands where mine were. So, I went through the motions really a robot like and clinically. I do not think I beamed or even was overly gushing like I always thought I would be. I just felt so guilty about "delivering" this woman, like I was some sort of savior of birth, or somethin..... my goodness, even the word, delivered, are putting a woman in the place of a victim..... like she needed rescued or plucked out of the experience.

But, NOW, I AM SO EXCITED, I DID IT!!!! IT was SOOOOOO AWESOME. My hands are the first that touched this little baby, in this lifetime, OH, MY GODDESS!!!! ALL THAT ENERGY AND POWER AND I WAS THERE< IN THE MIDST OF IT!!!!!!!!!

: Yay, ME!!

Michelle

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
awesome. that kinda describes my one and only experience catching a baby too

just wanted to add ... i wasn't excited at first either, probably until the next day when it kind of hit me. then i don't think you could've wiped the smile off my face for about a week!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You know what, it is OK that the woman whose baby you caught wanted you to catch her baby. You are right, you didn't "deliver" her of anything. You caught the baby that was already coming, and probably helped her with perineal support as well. Not everyone wants a UC. And that is OK. There are a lot of women who LOVE their midwives (like me) and respect what they do to help a mother. I need my midwife. Yes, I can do it alone, but I don't want to! I want her there. My husband wants her there.

Be excited, I bet she is!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandib50
i don't think you could've wiped the smile off my face for about a week!
That was me too! I caught a good friend's baby last year. I had actually arrived as labor support and to drive her to the BC but the baby had other plans. She was basically crowing as I walked in the door so I caught
: . I was walking around on cloud nine for days. All that week I kept looking down at my hands like they had been involved in a magical event.

The irony is that I, too, don't remember much of the birth itself or enjoy it. One minute there was the tip of a head surfacing and the next I had a slippery baby in my hands. Good thing I didn't drop her!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3daughters
All that week I kept looking down at my hands like they had been involved in a magical event.

The irony is that I, too, don't remember much of the birth itself or enjoy it. One minute there was the tip of a head surfacing and the next I had a slippery baby in my hands.
This is definetely how I feel today!! I am elated!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.