Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked out the window and saw that all of our broccoli plants were eaten last night. Absolutely shredded.

Two were nibbled at a few weeks ago, but that was it, and I was fine sharing a couple meals with our resident whatever-it-is. But to eat 16 beautiful, lush plants right down to the stems! And these are my children's favorite veggies, too. I could just cry.

:

·
Registered
538 Posts
poor mama! "kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit". not that it has to be bunnies, but insert word for what it was. I don't know can those ugly grubby, fat, sluglike worms on crack do that? Maybe they stuffed themselves and will be lazing about your garden?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessaries View Post
poor mama! "kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit". not that it has to be bunnies, but insert word for what it was. I don't know can those ugly grubby, fat, sluglike worms on crack do that? Maybe they stuffed themselves and will be lazing about your garden?
We had cut worms kill all of our cauliflower and brocolli plants. 16 of them too.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was a woodchuck. We have three outdoor cats, so bunies tend to steer clear, but the cats won't touch a woodchuck. We had one living in the back bank last year, but its burrow disappeared, so I thought I didn't have to worry this year. Too optimistic of me, apparently.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Do you have deer around? That would be a lot for one woodchuck wouldn't it? I guess if he brought friends then that's another story.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
If there is anything left, they may come back. Don't give up hope! Unless they pulled the whole root, you might be able to get something later.

We live in the country, and omgosh, the critters love our garden! Dogs help. lol But also, some stakes and chicken wire around the garden beds also help.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The down and up of it.

I did a closer inspection today. The broccoli plants have been stripped of their leaves but the stems remain. Whatever it was also got to the cabbage, beans, peas, and lettuce, and has started in on the squash!!! Greedy little bastard, huh?

The tomatoes, leeks, peppers, flax, onions, kale, and radishes seem to be safe.

A friend offered up some spare chicken wire, so I'm going to see if I can get some stakes from freecycle and contain the three beds that are at the most risk. I want to ask dh to save his hair from shaving to sprinkle around the beds, too. Maybe some human smell will help.

Argh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.