Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well, I've been reading the No Shampoo threads... and at first all I could think was "eww, gross, yuck! not washing your hair??"

And then I was intrigued and read them a little more and saw what everyone was talking about. I mentioned it to dh, and he got that "oh great, another one of your natural-hippie-ideas" lol...

So I took the plunge. My hair is medium-long, VERY thick and very heavy. It's normally pretty healthy, but lately, the last year, it's been horrible. I mean, I can shower and wash in the morning and by the end of the day it's full of static, feels like straw and is greasy feeling. Ugh, was making me sick!

I tried different shampoos, more conditioner, less condition, leave in conditioner, vinegar rinses....nothing was working. I HAD to wash it daily or I looked aweful.

Well, last night I bit the bullet. I took 2/3 cup baking soda, and about 3-4 tbsp honey, and added a little water and stirred. The I scrubbed my hair with it, let it sit, it was weird, lol. But cool. I rinsed well, and then mixed a little vinegar, some lime juice and diluted in water and rinsed that through my hair and let sit, and rinsed out.

I was kinda nervous and skeptical. I let me hair air dry. That was the first time in years I have been able to comb my big ol'main of hair with a comb!!

And when it dried even dh said "wow, your hair DOES look great" I can't stop running my fingers through it, it feels so clean and silky and has SO much body!

WOO HOO!! You've scored a no Poo Convert!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congratulations!! I keep reading and reading these no-poo threads, but between skimming MDC while nursing and my husband already thinking I'm certifiable... but I bought extra BS today. My hair sounds a little like yours- it was long but I chopped it off a couple weeks ago -out of frustration- to my shoulders. I'm a frizz ball in this Indiana weather.

Can you give me the scoop on what everything does so I know what to use on my hair???

Now I'm all worked up...
lol

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, the way it works is this, be BS is alkaline, and will basically eat the oils and stuff off your hair, all of the 'gunk', the honey and water makes your hair strong, lots of protein. It's thick and feels weird and rough to scrub through your hair. And the Vinegar/lime juice is acid and will restore the ph balance of your hair and scalp, making it soft.

The honey isn't sticky, mixed with the BS and some water, makes it like a thick gravy, or thin, kinda runny peanut butter. And it mixes fine, no sticky. I poured it over my head and rubbed it in, stuck my head under the water for a split second for more moisture, and then let it sit for a minute. Rinsed out very easily.

The I took 1.5 cups WARM water, and added 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup lime juice. Then when the BS stuff was rinsed out, I poured this over my head slowly and worked it through my hair. You can do more, I probably will since I have SO much hair.

I let that sit a minute and then rinsed out. That's it. Then I combed it as soon as I got out of the shower. It didn't feel slick like with conditioner, but now that it's dry it's been sooooo soft all day, I can't stop running my hand through it and playing with it.

lol, but i love love love it!!

I like the lime, and a strong smelling honey. I use buckwheat honey, my hair smells clean and sweet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can identify with you, Julie, I sit here while I nurse my little man and, wow! I am learning so much! I have to type one handed, but I can read alot! I am gonna go no- poo for a few days, give it a chance-I'll keep you all updated!

Michele
Zach 94
Sebastian 96
Gabrielle 00
Lorenzo 04

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You know, I have been reading those no shampoo threads for awhile myself and wasn't really sure about them but you have me really interested in trying this now!

I have to go to the store tomorrow so I'll pick up some lemons and more BS and I'll give it a try tomorrow night then and see how it goes.

Is there any links about no-shampoo and what all types of stuff for different types of hair works best or anything?? For the past year my scalp has been itchy and flaky and I can't figure out why but it is driving me NUTS!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the BS and Lime juice will balance the ph of your scalp and help it get better.

I'm on day 2 of no poo, and only washed it monday with BS and it's still soft and full. WOO HOO! This is awesome. By now, with poo I'd look like a greaseball, lol.

I will wash again tonight, but even washing every other day is a total improvement over EVERY day!!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marilynmama
Ok question. Why lime juice and not lemon juice?
Actually just about any acid for the rinse will do, as that restores the naturally acid pH of the rinse. It's just a preference thing. I think one mama even uses balsamic vinegar instead of ACV. It's fun to experiment. See my links below, too, in my siggy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh!! I like the honey alot for the smell, lol. I bought some buckwheat honey (vs. clover, etc) and it smells good and strong, but sweet! mmm... I like the lime smell better than lemon, but I don't think it makes a diff like they said.

Ok, I went ahead and washed monday night, and this morning, no greasy hair, and MY GOD if it stays this way I will never have another bad hair day, lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Alright, after I shampooed, I realized I wanted to try it... so I did. Just basic, no honey or anything, because I was already in the shower with the baby. It turned out pretty well- my hair feels really soft, and it's got the curl it used to have before it went frizzzz
but I'm still fighting some tangles. Did I not use enough vinegar? I've got to remember to get the extras in the bathroom!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I tried again today, and am happier... I think I was short on vinegar yesterday. It's still a little tangled, but I'm sure some of that is from my slick conditioner expectations. I'm going to have to branch out and try other things with BS/vinegar... I remember trying scrambled eggs and beer in college, and I was pleased. Why am I so scared to skip a day without washing my hair??

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know the feeling, I am paranoid everyday that I will wake up with nasty hair, and so far I am 9 days no shampoo. I bought some key west lime juice(unsweetened) and love the smell. LOL.... but after a few times of washing with the bs mix, I noticed my hair tangles less and is easier and easier to comb after the shower. Maybe it gets better?

I am in love with it, and my dh is a believer. I think I might get him to go no-poo... hee hee.

Question for anyone that's done it before, is it alright to get a squeeze bottle, pre mix the bs and lime in different bottles and leave in the shower? I assume it would, but there might be something I don't know? That way I can have it ready to go, premade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts